SM58 dual impedance

• Members

anyone know the story on these? i have one that i've acquired over the last few years that sounds really thin. i assume it needs an overhaul and i'd be glad to send it off to shure, hey maybe they will replace it with a new one. it's beat to hell and i got it for free

i was just wondering what the backstory is on the dual impedance classification. i'm sure one of you guys knows

• Members

For a flat rate of $50 or $55, Sure will repair or replace your SM58. Check tech support on their website.

Dennis

i know that. i'm asking what is the deal with the dual impedance version of the mic. it's not in production anymore, or at least not on the website and i was wondering if anyone had any information on such things.

• Members

The very early 58's used a transformer with a tapped secondary, I don't remember if it was nominal 600/150 or if it was higher than that. This goes back many years, can't say I've come across one in 20 years actually.

Give them a call and I'm sure they can send you the app note.

This is assuming it's not a counterfit product, which were often made in something like 150/10k for unbalanced Hi Z operation.

• Members

so since we don't know what you are plugging into or how the mic is set know ... why not just flip it and see what happens.

Pull the xlr from the bottom and move the pin over.

sorry. i know that explaining the rig is the number one rule.

XLR cable to mixwiz 16:2. i was testing it with headphones today although the last time i plugged it in, over a year ago, was with monitors connected and i got the same results.

every other sm58 sounds fine. upon doing some research i'm sure that this one has been tampered with. the jack on the mic doesn't have the pin to switch around. it has a typical XMR connector like all of the other mics i have and the wires(green, yellow and black) are soldered into solder wells.

• Members

I seem to remember dual impedance XLR mics back 30 years ago that had the normal balanced secondary wired normally and a high impedance winding tied to ground and one of the balanced pins - so to use it as high or low didn't require any switch on or in the mic, just a different cable. This would probably sound crappy if you hit it with phantom :( but we didn't have phantom on the MI grade mixers back then :).

• Members

The mic is wired correctly. If you have a problem it's NOT the dual-Z issue.

yeah. i know that you are right. thats why i said earlier that maybe i should send it in. anyway thanks to everyone for the info.

the bright side is that i got it for free so for the 50 dollar repair charge i have a half price 58. you can never have too many of those.

Archived