Todays service call

• Members

I received a frantic call from a museum that had just received a pair of Audio Technica ATW 2129 wireless lavaliere mic systems. The first time they went to use them they didn't work.

I took the half hour drive to the museum and fixed the problem in a matter of minutes.

PEOPLE . . . DEAD BATTERIES DON'T WORK IN WIRELESS SYSTEMS! :facepalm:

• Members

I received a frantic call from a museum that had just received a pair of Audio Technica ATW 2129 wireless lavaliere mic systems. The first time they went to use them they didn't work.

I took the half hour drive to the museum and fixed the problem in a matter of minutes.

PEOPLE . . . DEAD BATTERIES DON'T WORK IN WIRELESS SYSTEMS!
:facepalm:

I'll presume that fresh batteries fixed the problem... and that the more serious problem was that they didn't have a PA system to go with the wireless mics... which I've fielded that tech call more than once:

"the wireless mic doesn't work"...

"That's because you don't have a PA to go with it"

"HUH? Can't I just talk into the mic and the audience can hear me, like on teevee?"

"uh-no, it doesn't work that way."

"why? I see it done like that on teevee all the time."

":facepalm:"

• Members

At least it wasn't as bad as mine...

cust: amp burned up.

me: Really? It's probably repairable, I've got every part for it in stock.

cust: I don't think so

me: I'm pretty experienced.

customer: no, you are not understanding... it burned up.

me: It can't be that bad... what happened?

customer: there was solvent in the bottom of the chassis and it caught fire. Really big flames in the shop, on the bench!

me: Oh, I understand now.:facepalm:

(this customer is a very experienced service tech who just had a bad day with some bad luck.)

• Members

At least it wasn't as bad as mine...

cust: amp burned up.

me: Really? It's probably repairable, I've got every part for it in stock.

cust: I don't think so

me: I'm pretty experienced.

customer: no, you are not understanding... it burned up.

me: It can't be that bad... what happened?

customer: there was solvent in the bottom of the chassis and it caught fire. Really big flames in the shop, on the bench!

me: Oh, I understand now.

(this customer is a very experienced service tech who just had a bad day with some bad luck.)

oh sure, now you're gonna tell me the behringer gasoline sprayer i bought for $50 to cool my arc welder is a bad idea.

• Members

I did a service call a month ago at a church about 45min away. They called telling me their wireless handheld wasn't working. I got there, turned the mic on and just NOISE. I walked to the receiver adjusted the squelch and was able to walk around the entire church, even backstage (they keep receivers at FOH), without any problems. I made sure that the channel was good, which it is. They paid me a $50.00 drive fee and $50.00 for the 9 min. I was there to adjust the squelch on the back on a wireless microphone receiver.

• Members

I "installed" 2 ATW 2000 series lav mics in my parents church (they don't have a church, they are the music directors, I'm trying to get my own church to have people worship me, give me money and do this all tax free, for now...). The mixer was a bogen something or other, ALL barrier strip. And the Toa wireless mics were "installed" using Hosa cable with pins 2 and 3 reversed on an unbalanced cable. I did fix this but it made me scratch my head a little. (I know this system was pin 2 hot, I checked everything out)

I've never adjusted the squelch on anything, elaborate for me...

• Members

oh sure, now you're gonna tell me the behringer gasoline sprayer i bought for $50 to cool my arc welder is a bad idea.

These work best with good ventilation. Have 3 or 4 fans blowing on it when in use. :poke:

• Members

I remember hearing a story about a dude who called saying a microphone he bought wasn't working, so a guy went out to check out the problem. Apparently the guy had cut the XLR connector off the mic cable, spliced a 5-15 plug to it, and figured he would plug it into a wall outlet and it'd make sound.

unsure of the validity but hell, I wouldn't put it past some people

• Members

I was in a music store a couple years ago and some dude walked in with a wireless mic. He turned it on and started talking into it, while telling the salesman that it wasnt working. I dont think he ever realized why it wasnt working. :facepalm:

• Members

I was in a music store a couple years ago and some dude walked in with a wireless mic. He turned it on and started talking into it, while telling the salesman that it wasnt working. I dont think he ever realized why it wasnt working.

I get that all the time. Caller says they need to rent a wireless mic and I ask them what they'll be plugging it into (so I can supply the correct cable) and they say, "We don't want to plug it in....we want it wireless." :eek:

• Members

yah been there with the "can we borrow a wireless mic". Me: "come on by." When they get there: "where's the rest of the stuff". Me: "what stuff?" Them: "you know, the speakers & stuff". Me: "Uhhhh".

• Members

The mixer was a bogen something or other, ALL barrier strip.

I've never adjusted the squelch on anything, elaborate for me...

Some of those Bogen amps were pretty hardy.

I did a freebie gym PA "install" at my kid's school a few years ago. At one point I was debating tying in the school's announcement intercom into the gym PA I was installing (as opposed to just leaving the old one up). I asked every custodian, administrator and teacher in the school where the ampllifier for the old PA was located. No one knew.

Finally I saw what looked like an alarm electrical box hidden behind a stack of ladders, stage right.

I opened the door to the box and there was the Bogen PA. It had about 1/4" of dust on it, even with the protection of the box.

The fact that no one even knew it existed led me to believe it had been left on for at least five maybe even ten or more years. Still worked like a charm - sounded like crap, but still worked.

This definition of squelch differs from my recollection, but that's probably a good thing:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squelch

Archived