How much of your sound gear did you purchase off the internet.

• Members

I have finished my small PA and the internet played a vital part in aquiring the components at a decent price.

Allen & Heath 16.2 Mixwiz - Ebay

DBX 1231 -"B" item from internet store

Samson RTA and mic - "B" item from internet store.

JBL PRX512Mi's - Internet store

Mic cables etc. - Audiopile.net

Case hardware and outer coating - Internet store

Cover for finished case - Studioslips.com

In all cases I saved big money over local stores (in my case, Guitar Center). I took my time and waited for the deals to come up. It worked great for me and I saved some coin.

So, how many of you use the internet for the lion's share of your equipment?

• Members

If you count craigslist then 98% of my stuff is from the internet. If not then it's 98% of what I buy new. I rarely get anything locally new because I can usually get a better price (or equal at least) and not have to pay shipping or sales tax usually.

• Members

I live 2 & 1/2 hours away from a city that would have anything close to what I need or could use, so I tend to do a lot of shopping online. The difference in gas vs. S&H is a major factor for me, plus I hate it when a place doesn't have or sold out of what I need. Makes for a wasted trip.

On a side note, I got an EV PX-2152 Phoenix speaker online for $800 used and in immaculate condition. The catch, there was only one.

• Members

If you are patient and willing to wait for the right deal, you definitely can save some big bucks. Craigslist always works well if you have access to a larger metropolitan area. eBay is okay too but shipping stinks. If you need/want an item that is not readily available in the used market then an online store is the best bet. I only go to my local shops if I need an item yesterday and/or I need to try out an item.

• Members

I've bought a 4-channel Soundcraft Compact 4, and all my cables off the net (EWI reel snake, stage snake, mic cables, instruments cables, D.I.'s), and that's about it.

The rest of it was bought at my local dealers'; Two LS720p's, four NX55p's, four EF500pb's, Mixwiz3 16;2, Soundcraft EFX8, K&M mic and speaker stands, road-case, DBX 1231, all my mics (a dozen or so, condensers and dynamics), lights/light stands and DJ gear.

• Members

I'd say about 95% of my studio was internet purchases. The venue I work for is still in the stone age and online is way to hip for them (Luckily there's a local sound contractor/pro audio store that gives us close to internet prices).

• Members

My gear is a mixed bag. The majority has been purchased new from local from "brick and mortar" stores. I'm big on "brick and mortar" for a several of reasons. Things like instruments - I simply have to feel 'em before I purchase. I also like the "one neck to wring" aspect of dealing locally. I've got a reasonable rapport with the manager at the local GC - and have been able to parlay my purchase history (which they can readily confirm via their own computer system) into discounts when purchasing multiple items, liberal return/exchanges, etc. If the price difference is only a couple of percent - I'll support my local store - even if it's just so that it's there so that I can go kick the tires.

The stuff that I've purchased online tends to be those items that aren't stocked locally or that have a significant enough price difference (i.e., > 10%).

I tend to take this approach to on-line versus local purchasing for pretty much everything that I buy - not just music gear.

• Members

Community Mains - Local dealer at lower than internet.

Danley subs - Same local dealer lower than other two quotes.

Mix Wiz - Local friend that used to work for A&H.

Monitors - DIY with components from local distributor.

Amps - One internet, three local dealer same price as web.

Mics - Some local, some internet, some mixed location used.

Mic Stands - Local dealer same price as internet.

Snake - Internet store before I knew about Audiopile.

Mic cables - Mix of local and Audiopile.

Rack gear - Mixed and some used.

You get the idea. I'm lucky to have two good not GC local dealers who both pretty much match or beat internet prices. Sure I have to pay tax, but I figure it's a wash with internet shipping and I'd rather give them my money to keep them in business for when I need support or a favor. Besides, I like to support local jobs.

If GC was my only choice, I'd buy a lot more off the web.

Winston

• Members

Damn near everything bought online. Just the current stuff we use

(2) RCF 522A - RMCdirect

(2) RCF AS-705 - RMCdirect

(2) Yorkville NX550P - AudioEast

(2) Yorkville ES700P - HC forum member

(1) Presonus StudioLive - Sweetwater

(1) SKB Mighty GigRig - Sweetwater

(2) RCF 322A - Ebay

(1) TC Helicon VoiceLive2 - Sweetwater

(1) Ashly XR1001 crossover - Ebay

(2) Roland V-drum sets - Craigslist

Virtually all cables, snakes, connectors - Audiopile.net (Mark & Liz)

Various lights - ebay, centerstage lighting, ESCorp, local store

• Members

I only ever buy things under or around $100 from the internet. Duty fees over the CA/US border are sickening. So I have a pile of mics that I bought from the internet.

The rest of my stuff I get used from, or at dealer price through the SR companies I work with.

I don't have much of my own rig anymore, other than my mics, stands, and cables. Had to sell stuff off to pay bills.

• Members

Probably half of my stuff was bought online.

It was out of necessity because the local stores stopped selling decent gear but kept the crap brands like behringer/samson/mackie

I've gotten some really good buys. If you wait long enough you'll find them.

• Members

Most of our PA rig is internet-sourced...new and used. I guess the next best GAS source has been Music-Go-Round. Seems like they always have a deal on something I didn't realize I couldn't live without.

I don't really buy my guitars or basses through internet channels. I shop locally for those. I feel a need to play them first before forking over cash. I don't want to do a CL hook-up to test instruments out. Nor do I want to use moneyback guarantees and deal with RMAs and shipping returns.

• Members

Wait - you mean there's places where you can just walk into a store and buy this stuff?

Well, not around here. Maybe a mic cable or student saxophone reeds, but any real selection or place to try things out is hours from here. Forums like this have been a huge help, once I somewhat learned to distinguish the good advice from the bad. I'd say 90% of my gear is from internet sources.

• Members

It's not that I don't want to buy locally, but I prefer the stuff be stocked and there be someone with a clue working at the store. We basically have 3 options in town. Sam Ash, Guitar Center and Sound Ideas. Of the 3, Sound Ideas is the best, and I've bought wireless mics, lighting, stands, and various other things there. When it comes to my main rig though, nobody carried RCF, nor stocks TC-Helicon, or Ashly. I realize it's a chicken and the egg thing, but if I have to wait a week and drive 30 minutes each way, just to pay more and really get no other service (I always know more about the gear than anyone in the store and generally know what I'm after so I don't really care if I see it first) then what's the point? I can order from Sweetwater and, if I do it in the AM, have the stuff the next day with no shipping charges.

Archived