Professional opinions on Alesis DEQ 230/830??

• Members

http://www.alesis.com/deq830

Does anyone have experience and opinion on these? I'm putting together a portable small club rig for acoustic acts through 5 piece rock bands and 6 piece jam bands.

With thoughts of keeping my gear as compact as possible, this is an intriguing piece. The programmable settings is appealing for ease of setup.

TIA

• Members

whil i have some alesis gear from when they were decent (and it still works and is used everyday, i cant believe how old it is and it still works as new daily) i would be extremely wary of anything that make now. they kinda burned their bridge with the audio scene a while ago. quality became a major issue.

i'm politely saying they may have been fine a while back but seek other methods at this point.

• Members

That's the type of feedback I was looking for, thanks. Anything digital that is worth a look?

While I'm on the topic of EQ, who makes a good, reasonably priced 4 band parametric EQ, or at least something that can be used for two sweepable mids such as on quality consoles? I help various bands and some of their boards need a bit of help.

• Members

The 830 is fine. I have one with my 01v96. Many folks with that console use them and I have not heard a single sound quality complaint, or abnormal failures. The converters are a weakness that does get mentioned by many because of the noise floor level. With the 01v96 you can go ADAT in and out to the 830 and not use the converters. In that environment it works VERY well and sounds fine. Mine has been transported many miles over the last 2-3 years without a hiccup of any kind. It gives me L/R mains and 6 monitor mixes in one rack space. Hard to touch. Folks that actually have and use them almost always like them. I was not sure when i bought anything Alesis (I worry when things are MI grade generally...) but so far so good and I would buy another if this one did fail.

• Members

I'm in the same boat as Axis, 01v96 with a DEQ830. It works great for me. I did have one hiccup where it was randomly humming about a year ago. But I just turned it off/on and it's never done it again.

I've also heard the D/A converters are where this piece falls short. But I've never even tried to listen to them. I couldn't be happier with it, except that it's silver...

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure why Coaster has to lay out the hate so broadly regarding Alesis. They make some great products like the HD24, Masterlink, decent quality studio monitors, a great e-drum brain, and one of the more respected synths on the market. They have some budget-targets product as well, but overall they have a large number of 'winners' compared to a lot of brands out there. Don't take one opinion to the bank.

• Members

I have worked with some of the Alesis semiconductors over the years along with some of their engineers, and they do indeed make some outstanding products. The MidiVerb and MicroVerb products are a fantastic value, the HDR and the ADATs were winners too. Their analog eq's and comps were not so good and the molded plastic mixer was a electro-mechanical abortion. Then there's the whole DJ line...

• Members

Hold up Coaster the Alesis HD24XR has some of the best DAC known in the recording industry.

Their the pioneers of ADAT that's pretty darn good reputation to have since I own a HD24XR myself and midiverb in my FOH rack along with QS6.1 KB I play around on.

Pearl, Alesis and a few third party VSTi software companies teamed up to release Pearl new drum line.

Don't understand your hatred on Alesis but I love their products every product I bought from them has been rock solid. My last purchase was their trigger i/o so I could use with a e-kit to trigger third party vsti drum software.

Archived