NX55P TO RCF 715A or 725 Good upgrade?

• Members

Hello all

I already have two and two NX55P LS720P.

I want your opinion to sell my NX55P and buy two FCR 715 or 725 for parties of less than 150 people without having to use a subwoofer?

Is there really a big difference on power?

The NX55P play good without subwoofer, but they are too often limited in their ..

And with the competition, contract prices drop, and less transport equipment would balance everything.

I intend to keep my LS720P ....

Is it money wasted or well?

Thank!:confused:

ps: Sorry for my english , im french canada

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I went from a Yorkville 550P (older version of the 55) to 522A'a and yes, it's a worthy upgrade to the 522/525 or 722/725 series. You may be able to find some of the 500 series discounted as they are being discontinued for the 700 series, yet the specs are almost identical.

I also have a pair of 322A's and, while they are also an improvement in sound from the Yorkville, the output is nowhere near the 522. They get so loud it's scary. I can easily push the 322A's into the limiters when used as mains, but I've yet to see the limit light come on the 722A's, even in some outdoor shows where I'm pushing the volume pretty hard.

I recommend the upper line of the RCF cabs due to the higher SPL, but also the larger exit compression driver. You'll notice much better throw than with the 55P's. The highs just stay put farther back in the room for a more balanced sound throughout the room.

• Members

Bonjour PGTCobra,

Moi aussi j'ai le meme systeme (NX55p/LS720).

J'crois que si tu va avec les plus puissant RCF, qu'll sera necessaire pour toi de changer tes sub aussi.

J'suis tres surpris que tu ne trouve pas les NX55p assez puissant, surtout pour seulment 150 personnes. Est'ce que tu les opere "full-range", ou, est-ce que tu engage le "low frequency roll-off/100hz". Ceci te permet BEAUCOUP plus de volume/puissance.

Bob (Lachute, Quebec)

• Members

I can kind of read French (took it in college 20 yrs ago), but certainly can't write it......

Yes, if you upgrade to the "2" series of RCF speakers the mains will be able to outdo your subs. My current system uses RCF AS-705 subs and I can outpace those as well. That may not be a problem though. I've found if I had to be shy one or the other I'll take having more powerful mains. For the few gigs we need more subs, it's not really worth the tradeoff of size, weight, and more boxes. I'll just EQ the sub a bit to take away the lowest lows in return for a few more dB's. That said, I do have 2, Yorkville LS700P's that I'll call into action for 4 subs total, but that's only when doing festival stuff for several hundred people.

Aside from SPL, the RCF's just throw noticeably better. 75ft back they are capable of still sounding balanced with the subs, whereas the NX55P's high end peters out.

• Members

Good job there Abzurd. :)

I was indeed suggesting that he may have to consider changing his subs if he goes with much more powerful tops. He did say he wanted to keep his subs however.

I also expressed surprise that he felt his speaker combination might not be enough for 150 people, and asked if he was using the 100hz low-frequency roll-off on his NX55p's, as this allows for far greater output before limiting.

With my own NX55p's, not only do I engage the LF roll-off, but I'll also cut an additional 3-5dB off the low-end, using the speakers built-in EQ. (That's for a pre-recorded music application.) The NX55p's can get pretty loud when those lows are rolled off, without sounding harsh.

• Members

Bonjour PGTCobra,

J'crois que si tu va avec les plus puissant RCF, qu'll sera necessaire pour toi de changer tes sub aussi.

J'suis tres surpris que tu ne trouve pas les NX55p assez puissant, surtout pour seulment 150 personnes. Est'ce que tu les opere "full-range", ou, est-ce que tu engage le "low frequency roll-off/100hz". Ceci te permet BEAUCOUP plus de volume/puissance.

Bob (Lachute, Quebec)

I'm also surprised that he needs more juice for 150 folks - but maybe these are demanding rooms, or clients.

I think one of the questions was, could he go without subs if he upgraded. That will always depend on what you're going for.

I just did a gig without subs, because there wasn't much budget, and it was for an arts group (they had swing dance lessons in between the bands) AND... there were two flights of stairs!

Two U15P's, powered at 800 watts a side. They were reasonably capable of reproducing kick and bass. I mixed the warm-up act before "my band" and to quote the drummer "PA sounds good, but it would be nice to have subs, but then again nobody here would notice or care".

IMO, if you're doing gigs where nobody will notice or care, that you do or don't have subs, then I guess it's a personal choice. Otherwise, you should probably still bring your sub(s) along.

And by all means, if you haven't done so already, try the low cut on the NX55P's before you look to upgrade.

• Members

You mentioned some good points there. This one charity gig I do every year, I go with a single pair of NX55p's, and that's it. 145 people there too, but most of them are there for a dinner, and it's usually background music for that part of the evening. Once dinner is over, and the prizes awarded (golf tournament), then the joint gets rocking.

A lot of folks stick around, but they still want to be able to carry on a conversation at their tables, so I'll focus the NX55p's on the dance-floor, and absolutely everyone there is happy with the sound. Plenty for the dancers, not overwhelming at the tables, and a pleasant balance throughout the room.

At first, I tried running the NX55ps "full-range", but the limit lights we're starting to blink. When I engaged the LF roll-off, out went the lights, which gave me considerably more output. Bringing up the volume, also brought more depth into the speakers, so I wasn't losing much with that LF roll-off engaged. Everyone was commenting on how great everything sounded, and "would I come back next year?".

They also told me that due to the quality of the music/sound, that more folks than usual stayed to party after dinner, and because of that, they shattered all previous bar-sales records. Almost everything was sold out. Wine/beer, etc Only some liquor left at the end of the night.

This year, I'll probably bring a sub (or two), and some basic lighting. That gig is coming up in about 4-5 weeks.

• Members

Les NX55P ont un son tres plaisant mais limitent assez rapidement a cause des extremes graves produites de facon artificielle (processing). Si tu engages le filtre 100hz, ceci te permettra en effet plus de volume - et est une bonne idee si tu utilises des subs. Si tu veux quelque chose qui produit plus de volume et plus de graves sans toujours avoir besoin des subs, les NX750P sont durs a battre. RCF produit des bons speakers MAIS ne sont pas reconnus pour les graves - tout simplement. Comme dans le PDF que tu m'as partage - on confirme que les NX750P etaient les plus puissantes avec le plus de graves du groupe. Elles sont un peu grosses et ont seulement une poignee mais autre que ca - fantastique...

Al

• Members

Thank you for the answers.

As I said earlier, I would like no longer use the subwoofer for 60% of my partys. I hurt my back to carry two LS720P in some non-functional rooms for transport equipment.

You say you use the NX55P without subwoofer and you activate the filter bass?? It should probably not have much bass for pop music.

I love NX55P but, I need the same thing more powerful .. Too bad the NX750P is so big.

I'm also a bit difficult on the power of the bass ..

• Members

Les NX55P ont un son tres plaisant mais limitent assez rapidement a cause des extremes graves produites de facon artificielle (processing). Si tu engages le filtre 100hz, ceci te permettra en effet plus de volume - et est une bonne idee si tu utilises des subs. Si tu veux quelque chose qui produit plus de volume et plus de graves sans toujours avoir besoin des subs, les NX750P sont durs a battre. RCF produit des bons speakers MAIS ne sont pas reconnus pour les graves - tout simplement. Comme dans le PDF que tu m'as partage - on confirme que les NX750P etaient les plus puissantes avec le plus de graves du groupe. Elles sont un peu grosses et ont seulement une poignee mais autre que ca - fantastique...

Al

Salut AL

Oui les NX750P sont puissantes, mais elles sont vraiment mal faites pour le transport et tr

• Members

Bonjour PGTCobra,

Bob (Lachute, Quebec)

Salut Bobby

Et oui je suis quand m

• Members

N'oublie pas le service d'apres vente. Yorkville est tres dificile a battre.

je ne sais pas.. j'ai jamais eu besoin :)

mais si Yorkville sortirais une NX750P Refaite V2 je serais surement prenneur..

mais Yorkville garantie 2 ans RCF 5 ans.

• Members

PGTCobra,

Il y a quelque chose que j'comprend pas. Tu dit que tu est fait mal au dos en transportant les subs, mais, c'est les subs que tu veux garder. Pourquoi pas t'acheter un charoit pliant pour transporter les subs. Il y en a un beau chez Costco que j'ai achetez l'an dernier. Pas cher, est seulment 2 1/2" d'epaisseur quand il est pliez. J'peux transporter mes deux LS720p sur le siege arriere de mon auto, et, une paire de NX55p dans la valise. Le chariot entre facilement sur mon banc arrierre, avec les subs. Capacite de 400 livres.

Pour moi meme, c'est beaucoup plus dificile de soulever un "top" lourd sur les stands. J'pese 215 LB, mais un NX55p est environ la limite que j'me permeterais de soulever tout seule. (62 ans bientot) J'suis pu un p'tit jeune comme mon "chum" Al Poulain.

Aussi, tu n'a pas repondu a la question concernant le "LF roll-off" switch sur les NX55p. Est-ce que tu t'en sert?

• Members

I love NX55P but, I need the same thing more powerful .. Too bad the NX750P is so big. .

NX750P has a very nice bass response and if you can live with the size it would be a good all around choice to use without subs.

• Members

My head hurts trying to remember my high school french!

As Bobby 1 Note mentioned, the OP hasn't stated whether he engages the NX55P 100hz filter when he uses his subs.

Also, although it's not pretty putting up sixty pound boxes, it's even worse with the lousy handle placement on the NX750's - although did someone say there's a new cab design - not reading through those posts again:)

And IMO, the NX750's don't really throw that well - not for their weight and cost anyway.

In addition I'll offer this; I've used the NX750's a few times in the past and even though they can produce nice bottom, they benefit greatly with the addition of a sub because the bottom doesn't seem to carry all that far - YMMV.

It sounds like we're looking at a 15" cab with insane power, light weight and the ability to produce a fair bit of low end.

That's probably going to cost some money.

Or look for light tops (or keep the 55P's) and get a fifty pound+ sub. Two NX 750P's are almost 125 lbs. so if you can get two tops at forty pounds or less and a NX200P (for example), you're carrying the same weight.

• Members

I was trying to think of something funny to say about using French like you guys misspelled a bunch of words ! But then I remembered that Steve Martin said that it was like the French have a different word for EVERYTHING !
:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Steve Martin still cracks me up. Helluva banjo player too. :thu:

I probably did misspell a lot of words there. My written french is not exactly up to snuff.

• Members

Steve Martin still cracks me up. Helluva banjo player too.
:thu:

I probably did misspell a lot of words there. My written french is not exactly up to snuff.

I would never know,I was just kidding about the different words.The only foreign language I learned was slang.

• Members

OK Guys,

PGTCobras' problem seems to be the following;

He wants to "replace" his subs and tops, with a "tops only" set-up.

Here's the details;

1. He hurt his back, and is reluctant to carry his subs up stairwells. When he does use a single sub, he uses his NX55P's "full-range" (doesn't use the 100Hz LF roll-off.

2. He prefers a bass-heavy sound.

3. He would like to keep his subs, but for "home use" only.

4 He's wondering if the RCF 715A, or the 725 (used without subs) will provide sound equivalent to, or better than his NX55ps/LS720 set-up.

Archived