Peavey IPRs - Limiting & HPF?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For anyone who has some real time experience with these amps. Is there any reason to not use them to replace QSC RMX850 and RMX 1850HD amps. (As well as a Yamaha XS-250.) The 1600 is a little more power than the 850 and a little less than the 1850. I could drop nearly 100 lbs in case weight.

• Members
I knew sooner or later I would get called out for saying something odd to you all
:lol:
Most people I know around here call 0 on the master fader unity. I have always been told to never push past unity on the master fader. Based on your responses I am guessing none of that is right. Also if running a 1000 watt amp on a 1000 watt sub is the safest for a novice I would think running the IPR 4500 @ 1500 watts could be dangerous and that is 300 watts more than I am running now at 1200.

There has been debate on how manufacturers label and assign a unity designation on boards....

The thing is, even if people could agree that the zero marking was indeed unity on your board it would only be so if everything else in the signal chain produced unity gain EDIT: see link below.

So you could be at zero/unity on your board but be at -6 dB as far as signal (assuming meter accuracy) goes. Or you could be at +6 dB - it just depends on your gain structure, and how the manufacturer defines unity.

Then there's the whole matter of processing and amplification after the board, and unity becomes a complicated word.

I believe that's partially what AH was referring to.

Now if you said your meters are hitting zero dB along with everything else in your signal chain before your amps, that might tell a more detailed story if all unity was the same across all your gear. Anyway, the amps would still be the final factor in the equation.

RE; EDIT - I think this has been posted before but this is what I was trying to talk about. I can't vouch for the paper, but it makes sense in my limited understanding of the subject http://www.rane.com/note124.html

• Members

I was reading the reviews of these amps on MF and came across this:

For the amp features, the manuals on these suck. They don't appear to be bridgeable but there have been some posts on "talk bass" that make it appear that it's possible.

I'm not a member of Talk Bass, has anyone come across this over there?

• Members

For anyone who has some real time experience with these amps. Is there any reason to not use them to replace QSC RMX850 and RMX 1850HD amps. (As well as a Yamaha XS-250.) The 1600 is a little more power than the 850 and a little less than the 1850. I could drop nearly 100 lbs in case weight.

I had mine modified at Peavey for the "capacitor fix". I re-tested it saturday afternoon to push it to the limits again. I only compared it to the GPS power amps, but it definately held it's own. I put it into service saturday night for monitor duty.

I understand dropping the power amp case weight. I have 4 GPS-3500's and 2 GPS-1500's. If I convert completely to the IPR amps, I would save approximately 260 Lbs. when I take all 6.

• Members

by 1960LesPaul:

One thing that is bothering me. If I was powering a 500 watt box with 1200 watts of power for a year now and it was used this way long before I got it why haven't I destroyed them yet? Why do they not clip? Why do they sound really clean? WHY, Why, Why!!!! lol. I know you can get away with more power to top boxes vs subs but that is a huge difference. I wonder if these have replacement drivers in them that can handle the extra power.

Others have given you good answers. I'm certainly not a technical expert but one thing for sure, you're fortunate that you haven't toasted something putting that kind of power through 500 watt speakers; absolutely nuts. :eek:

I like to have a LITTLE reserve power in my amp over the continuous power rating of my speakers, but I don't play loud. Neither my amp, mixer, or speakers are even breathing hard. I am also saving as much of whats left of my hearing too.

Be conservative with power and db levels. You'll save your wallet and your hearing. You will need both when you get older. :poke:

Mike T.

• Members

How about mono operation on these (not bridged)? Currently I'm using a Peavey 16FX mixer in mono subwoofer mode where the right channel feeds subs and left mains (Or maybe vice-versa, I'm not looking at my board which is marked!)

One cable for each signal to separate QSC amps which are set in mono mode which feeds the same signal to both channels.

Can you feed one signal to the ipr and use a jumper to feed the second channel, or is there another way to do it?

Thanks.

CC

• Members
Yes. More unemployed Americans.

But they say we can all get jobs sellin' burgers to each other and not have to strain our brains with all them hard engineering and manufacturing jobs we used to do. Do all y'all want fries with that :freak:?

• CMS Author

But they say we can all get jobs sellin' burgers to each other and not have to strain our brains with all them hard engineering and manufacturing jobs we used to do. Do all y'all want fries with that
:freak:
?

They also said to get technology jobs, especially in computers.

Yep, those jobs have been shipped overseas too.

Archived