Guild DS-240 Memoir

Phil O'Keefe

I ran across this model on the Sweetwater site the other day. I had never heard of them before. They're obviously inspired by Gibson's slope-shouldered acoustics based on the looks of them. Solid spruce tops, scalloped x bracing, mahogany neck with pau ferro fingerboard, and the mahogany back and sides are most likely laminated at this ($499 "street") price point. Still, kind of cool looking and based on the video, not too bad sounding either for an affordable acoustic. 

Has anyone else ever heard of them or tried one out? Thoughts?

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Ovation & Adamas Colors/Ovation Colors/Ovation's Colors.html

G3192242.-front-large.jpg.auto.webp

G3192242.-angle-large.jpg.auto.webp

• Members

I had seriously considered one until I ran across a good deal on a Blueridge dread. I played one in a shop and while it didn't have a huge "wow" factor, it was quite pleasant and playable. I went with a blueridge BR70 that actually did "wow" me. BR70 has amazing low end that I didn't really notice much with the guild.

• Members

Those slope-shoulder dreadnoughts do look good. 

But I'm a bit like Idunno in finding a 43 mm neck width at the nut and the consequent string spacing too narrow. I've changed the nut on one of my dreadnoughts to get an extra 2 mm on the nut string spacing which does help a little but generally I'm happier with neck widths of 48 mm + these days.

• Members
12 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

What about them bothers you?

See garthman's post. My hands are on the large size of huge and I have zero gap-factor with the narrower nuts, meaning I'm going to mute adjacent strings and no technique is going to change that set of physics. I can effectively play two adjacent strings on a nut of 1-5/8 inch with one fingertip. That works until the notes on those two strings don't share the same fret. I wish I could play smaller necks. Even on a 1-3/4 width I have to capo 2 frets for the extra real estate if I'm going to be working up-tempo. I tune a full step down for that. So, classical guitar is my go-to until someone comes along and makes an affordable 1-7/8" -  2.00" width player. That said, I don't think I'm going to be presented with one any time soon unless I scare up my own magic.

Archived