FCC mandate coming into effect. Check your mics

• Members

Does anyone have a link to a discussion among well-informed users of the technical problems that would make owning/operating 700mhz systems problematic?

Almost everything I have heard/read is either hypothetical or from wireless manufacturers, and since I am only tangentially familiar with wireless it is tough to say if these are real concerns.

I think it's all still hypothetical at this point, and there are no well-informed users. The manufacturers and FCC are the only ones giving out information. Devices using the 700mhz band aren't in production yet (AFAIK), so nobody knows how those devices will react. As far as emergency services, I can tell you that they will step all over you. One minute a frequency will be clear, then next, taking hits all over the place.

I think whether it's a real concern to you is going to directly relate to your own situation and how you use wireless technology. If you're in a remote area using a 700mhz guitar wireless, you're probably going to be OK. Besides, if not, you can always pop a cord in. However if you're in a metropolitan area, using wireless mics for critical applications (corporate, political, national acts), I wouldn't even toy with the idea. Even certain other frequency bands are unusable in certain cities. Shure's website actually has some good info on this. They're not trying to hide anything.

• Members

... designing new digital gear with frequency-hopping, multiplexing and encryption to automatically work around legacy analog gear?

There will be no need for them to design gear to work around the space that they have a legal right to operate in. When that gear exists it will simply stomp out your analog wireless mic.

Analog signals do not interfere with digital signals until the completely stomp them out ... but a very small amount of digital signal mixed into your analog system will ruin your day. With digital you are only sending ones and zeros so noise , hiss and distortion do not exist. With analog, anything that crosses your signal becomes audible.

Then again maybe you like the sound your cell phone makes into your computer speakers.

• Members
you will when the military industrial complex finally makes the move to unionize the north amaerican continent and makes us all slaves, look for around 10-15 years from now. how well do like RFID chips?

Get a magnifying glass and a exacto knife and take out the RF chip on your driver's license. :cop: carry laser lights to blind camera's if your paranoid about big brother watching you and don't move to AZ. :cop:

• Members

Completely different mechanism and process. Does not relate to RF receivers.

That is not correct. Anything that is a frequency hopper can cause it. It is a very similar process and while it is less likely in receivers it it quite possible depending on shielding but since you usually use a transmitter when you use a receiver it's still gonna end up in your system and it will quite likely sound similar to the TDMA noise I was talking about.

Bigger problem however is that analog wireless depends on a clear channel to operate in and these new digital devices will just start stomping you out

• Members

We have four wireless mics at our Church, two handheld and two Lavalieres. The two Lavs are new and not in the affected band. The two handhelds are both SM-58's, one relatively new and one 10+ years old. The old one is non compliant but performs much better than the new one. Better signal level and no drop outs, while the new one has been disappointing no matter how many times we change channels.
We intend to just keep on using the old one until a new user in that band comes along and makes it impossible.

Winston

Archived