Custom Build (Vids & Pics. Sustainable Materials Including Coconut Shells, Rocklite Ebano)

dimibetan

• Members

Coconut shell rosette? That's some pretty hard stuff. What abrasive are you using on your drum sander table? I can well imagine you're going to develop some heat taking the shell down to the Gmelina. I took a look at the materials you're using and I'm curious about the Gmelina's sonic characteristics. I read it's used for musical instruments, among other things. Do you have any instruments made to-date using it? Thanks for starting this thread.

• Members
5 hours ago, Idunno said:

Coconut shell rosette? That's some pretty hard stuff. What abrasive are you using on your drum sander table? I can well imagine you're going to develop some heat taking the shell down to the Gmelina. I took a look at the materials you're using and I'm curious about the Gmelina's sonic characteristics. I read it's used for musical instruments, among other things. Do you have any instruments made to-date using it? Thanks for starting this thread.

It is currently in the process of creation. Gmelina wood is also a sustainable since it is from a fast-growing tree. There are only a few samples for it's tonal characteristics in the internet but I will post a video of it's sound after the guitar is finished. Thank you for your interest.

• Members

Meranti has a mahogany appearance (Red Meranti). It should look nice with the Gmelina soundboard. Meranti shares a Janka hardness with mahogany (hence the name Philippine Mahogany, I guess), and looks similar when finished. Are you using it for the neck as well? Lot's of questions but I'll just see how this plays out.

• Members
9 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

How do the materials / woods that you've selected compare with traditional woods in terms of price? 

Super cheap. All woods are locally sourced (in the Philippines). Also, we don't have to worry about shipping when ordering internationally.

• Members
On 2/18/2020 at 7:06 AM, Phil O'Keefe said:

What is the reason for angling that one? Or what do you hope it will accomplish vs. keeping it symmetrical with the others?  

That piece will rest flat against the rib cage (rib rest). If you've ever played a long session, in the non-classical posture, you will have experienced the sharp edge of the guitar digging into your ribs at that area of the waist. This angled rest the OP has designed into that edge will relieve the player of that. At least that's the purpose I'm guessing it to be.

2 hours ago, Idunno said:

That piece will rest flat against the rib cage (rib rest). If you've ever played a long session, in the non-classical posture, you will have experienced the sharp edge of the guitar digging into your ribs at that area of the waist. This angled rest the OP has designed into that edge will relieve the player of that. At least that's the purpose I'm guessing it to be.

I was referring to the interior brace, as seen at the top of this picture:

image.jpeg.37a17690354b14a698a118d7e42d1

That's an interior part - it has nothing to do with the player's comfort. 

Archived