power amp failure

• Members

At the gig last night, we get everything set up, start checking kick drum levels, and hear a pop, then no subs. Our Peavey GPS 3500 took a dump. When we tried to turn it back on, you could hear something behind the front plate trying to turn very fast, you could see sparks behind the power switch, and clip lights came on, then it turned itself off. It also tripped the breaker in the venue. Anyone else ever have any problems like this with a gps series? I'm also hoping to find out what caused it, so that it can be prevented in the future. I bought this amp used a few years ago, and it has probably done around 40 shows for us, never had a problem before. It's pushing 2 Peavey SP218's, running the amp in stereo(the first generation of the newer models, the ones with the gray grill). On the flip side, my new ipr 1600 worked great. I did have to send it in for the transformer mod previously, but no problems after that. I had brought an extra amp just in case of that failing, didn't think I'd have to use it on subs:facepalm:

• Members

I have quite a few GPS amps, I think they're well made amps and never had an issue with any of them. No amp or company has a zero failure rate. How did the ipr 1600 sound.

IPR was great. No problems at all. I had read about the problem with the power transformers, and checked it out before we gigged it, and it had the problem, so I sent it in to Peavey, it got fixed (pretty fast, btw), and worked like a champ for us. We're a weekend warrior band, and don't have a lot of money to throw at equipment, so we can't just use the gps as a 'doorstop' as previously mentioned.

• Members

We're a weekend warrior band, and don't have a lot of money to throw at equipment, so we can't just use the gps as a 'doorstop' as previously mentioned.

I'm curious what choices you have? I recently took an amp in for repair to what appears to be the only place in town that's an authorized repair facility for the brand of gear. There was a $95 non-refundable charge just to have them look at it. When it was all said and done - the repair bill was $250. If I had it to do over again - I would simply have replaced the unit.

My choices were fix the unit (obviously not cheap), replace the unit (which in hindsight is what I wish I would have done) - or done without the unit (which as a band with gigs on the books, really wasn't a realistic option). The fact that I didn't have a lot of money to throw at equipment was never much of a factor in the decision.

What's different about your situation?

• Members

I'm curious what choices you have? I recently took an amp in for repair to what appears to be the only place in town that's an authorized repair facility for the brand of gear. There was a $95 non-refundable charge just to have them look at it. When it was all said and done - the repair bill was $250. If I had it to do over again - I would simply have replaced the unit.

My choices were fix the unit (obviously not cheap), replace the unit (which in hindsight is what I wish I would have done) - or done without the unit (which as a band with gigs on the books, really wasn't a realistic option). The fact that I didn't have a lot of money to throw at equipment was never much of a factor in the decision.

What's different about your situation?

Well, this amp isn't under warranty, so it doesn't matter if it's an authorized service facility. Also, there isn't an authorized service facility in the area. We kinda know a few people who are Peavey dealers and could maybe possibly help us out (it's good to know people). The only reason why I'm wanting to go with a peavey dealer is because they might have better connections/relations with Peavey. But, whatever works. As far as the repair bill, if it's $250, that's half of what I paid for this amp. And, it's a quarter of what I would be paying for a replacement, and that's for a few that I saw on ebay. It would be more through MF new. We do have a couple of options, we have another power amp to throw at a monitor, and could run 2 Crown microtech 1200's for each of the subs, but we would have to bridge them, and that pulls a lot more power.

• Members

Big heavy iron amps are going to get real cheap in the next few years too. If I was in the same boat I don't know what I'd do, replace with a PLX3402 for 5-600 used, repair for 250 (prolly 125 or more). If peavey ever decides to grace us with the rest of the IPR line then the 3000 or 4500 would be great. But as is they are only 16 months behind schedual.

I have a couple amps I don't really see fixing: an ART SLA2 1U amp with a blown channel (lead singer), and a soundtech PL1204 with 1 (of 4) blown channel (lead singer). I've been trying to sell them local for $75 but no takers. and it would be $200+ to fix each and they ain't really worth it.

• Members

Well, this amp isn't under warranty, so it doesn't matter if it's an authorized service facility. Also, there isn't an authorized service facility in the area. We kinda know a few people who are Peavey dealers and could maybe possibly help us out (it's good to know people). The only reason why I'm wanting to go with a peavey dealer is because they might have better connections/relations with Peavey. But, whatever works. As far as the repair bill, if it's $250, that's half of what I paid for this amp. And, it's a quarter of what I would be paying for a replacement, and that's for a few that I saw on ebay. It would be more through MF new. We do have a couple of options, we have another power amp to throw at a monitor, and could run 2 Crown microtech 1200's for each of the subs, but we would have to bridge them, and that pulls a lot more power.

You do know you can send the amp back to peavey for repair? They do have a service center. Box it up and send it back to them. The repair cost are in the ball park with most repair centers and they will if you ask give an idea of the cost before they fix it if you want. To me the best repair comes from the company that makes the amp.

Dookietwo

• Members

You do know you can send the amp back to peavey for repair? They do have a service center. Box it up and send it back to them. The repair cost are in the ball park with most repair centers and they will if you ask give an idea of the cost before they fix it if you want. To me the best repair comes from the company that makes the amp.

Dookietwo

Yeah, I was thinking of that as somewhat of a last resort. They were great when I sent my ipr amp in, but that weighs 7 pounds as opposed to 51 for the gps, so shipping would be quite a bit more, plus I figured I would have to pay for return shipping, as it's not under warranty. Add to that the cost of the fix, and I thought that I could take it to someone around here and maybe save several bucks. I'd rather send it to them, but that seems like it might be the most costly option right now.

• Members

Big heavy iron amps are going to get real cheap in the next few years too. If I was in the same boat I don't know what I'd do, replace with a PLX3402 for 5-600 used, repair for 250 (prolly 125 or more). If peavey ever decides to grace us with the rest of the IPR line then the 3000 or 4500 would be great. But as is they are only 16 months behind schedual.

I have a couple amps I don't really see fixing: an ART SLA2 1U amp with a blown channel (lead singer), and a soundtech PL1204 with 1 (of 4) blown channel (lead singer). I've been trying to sell them local for $75 but no takers. and it would be $200+ to fix each and they ain't really worth it.

Oh, I know, that was kind of the plan, I was hoping to replace this with an ipr 4500 when they come out. Thought this one might live to see the day, but idk now.

• Members

I'd bridge a pair of them IPR1600's and loose the dead doorstop.
:)

Except they are not "really" bridge ready. There's a sort-of workaround but IMO it's not something that's really advised.

Get the right tool for the job.

Archived