Simple question... combining stereo submix into one channel on the FOH mixer.

• Members

Sorry, I'm using my Live Sound daily question quota.

I usually run my keys in stereo however this weekend I'm losing one of the channels on our FOH submixer to accomodate another singer. I have a Rolls Stereo RM203x that I submix my keys with. I usually chain it like this... keys into mixer>mixer into stereo iso transformer (cut any hum present)> iso transformer into channels 15 & 16 on board. Even if I send my keys in Mono it appears that the outputs are still sent in stereo (left and right). Is there a DI or a box that will convert the balanced stereo signal into a mono output?

• Members

Even if I send my keys in Mono it appears that the outputs are still sent in stereo (left and right).

I don't quite understand that:confused:

Most keyboard players I work with send a mono signal to the board. Very few of the guys I work with bother with stereo anymore, so I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course you really can't get a mono signal from your keyboard, and your notes are spread in a stereo spectrum (like my old JV80....).

• Members

just use the left side of your keyboards.
:confused:

It's not the boards I'm worried about... it's the mixer... and the stereo DI or Iso transformer I use. Are you saying as long as I just use the left outputs on everything (keys, mixer and synths) that it provide a mono signal to the FOH? I assumed to would still split the signal at the mixer stage (they aren't labeled stereo/mono outputs) :facepalm: I feel stupid for even asking. I just don't want to kick into a leslie effect or rotary organ and have the effect cut out on one side of the PA.

• Members

At the keyboard only use the left channel output. This will combine the signal into mono (for each keyboard) and the mixer will only use the left input and left output to 1 channel of DI to 1 channel of mixer. this is the easiest way to combine them...

a harder way is to combine the outputs of the rolls mixer by using a stereo DI with a mono sum option (not common but some have this).

Another option is to take the left and right keyboard outputs into their own channels of a mixer (left channels only on the rolls or panned center if need be on a standard mixer). 2 keyboards would be 4 inputs or 4 left inputs of stereo channels. Then use the left output of the mixer into 1 channel of DI.

go with option 1 though.

• Members

It looks like your Rolls mixer has an Aux out which Sums the L/R so you have a mono output which you could use to one channel of your DI then run that channel to the FOH mixer. Just hook up all your stereo (L/R) keyboards and adjust using the AUX instead of the masters on the Rolls mixer.

• Members

Sorry, I'm using my Live Sound daily question quota.

I usually run my keys in stereo however this weekend I'm losing one of the channels on our FOH submixer to accomodate another singer. I have a
that I submix my keys with. I usually chain it like this... keys into mixer>mixer into stereo iso transformer (cut any hum present)> iso transformer into channels 15 & 16 on board. Even if I send my keys in Mono it appears that the outputs are still sent in stereo (left and right). Is there a DI or a box that will convert the balanced stereo signal into a mono output?

Your Rolls mixer has a PAN/BALANCE knob on the lower left. Just below the input level knob. Go into the two channels you normally do. Pan both channels too the left. Go LEFT out on the rolls MAIN outputs to one channel of your iso transformer then to say channel 16 of your board.

The rolls will combine both channels to mono.

Dookietwo

EDIT: If you have more than 1 keyboard of course have all keyboards panned to the left as well.

• Members

Your Rolls mixer has a PAN/BALANCE knob on the lower left. Just below the input level knob. Go into the two channels you normally do. Pan both channels too the left. Go LEFT out on the rolls MAIN outputs to one channel of your iso transformer then to say channel 16 of your board.

The rolls will combine both channels to mono.

Dookietwo

EDIT: If you have more than 1 keyboard of course have all keyboards panned to the left as well.

Just make sure the main mixer isnt panned left if you are running stereo mains.

• Members

It looks like your Rolls mixer has an Aux out which Sums the L/R so you have a mono output which you could use to one channel of your DI then run that channel to the FOH mixer. Just hook up all your stereo (L/R) keyboards and adjust using the AUX instead of the masters on the Rolls mixer.

I like this option the best. Can I still use the left and right outputs to monitor myself?

Archived