oops...how am i going to make this cable?

• Members

at work there is a 6 space rack with a cd player (consumer, non rack mount, held in with gray sticky tape and angle irons) and a tape player (consumer, non rack mount, held in with gray sticky tape and angle irons).

i use this box every once in a while, but mostly other people use it. surprise, its always messed up. for a long time we would have to buy new cables for it all the time because people would take the cables out(???!@!!???). then i got smart and zip tied the hell out of the cables to the rack rail. they aint comin out without a side cutter (or as us fart timers say, dikes).

the cable on the cd player went bad last sunday and i am catching hell over it. its a crummy cable up or hosa (i cant tell the difference) and apparently one side aint working no more. gee, i wonder why you ***** who beat the hell out of this box and yank it around by the cords.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

so i spoke before i could think -"hey, i'll get some vampire RCA ends and neutrik TS ends and make a great cable. gimmee $25 for parts and pay my labor"

then as i was driving home i remember that there are LEFT and RIGHT and thats TWO cables. no problem for me i say, i can handle two cables just fine but imagine the sheer horror of non audio people dealing with TWO CABLES instead of two cables stuck together.:facepalm: i can already see the tangled up disaster going to happen.

why oh why dont they make 2 core snakes? i could use them all the time for all kinds of stuff. cant find it anywhere.

so somehow i gotta stick two cables together, and i tell ya i havent had the best luck with gaff tape or shrink wrap, it seems the (less than genius non audio people) always find a way to undo the gaff tape or mess up the shrink wrap. and zip ties, well that just rips yer hands up.

so, i can get an off the shelf piece of crap, take a balanced cable and share the shield and have two lumps of split, or stick two cables together.

if it were me, why, i just have my little ol cd player hooked up in my rack into my 20 channel whip. no issies there, but stop thinking like a tech and shut yer brain off like these people and now what should i do??????

• Members

They do make 2 pair snake cable. Also 2 pair individually jacketed cable. We have a couple different Belden dumbell cable types at work, one is rated for digital audio and one is for analog. Canare (I think) make a single-conductor shielded dumbell cable, which would be ideal for an unbalanced pair.

The stuff that I use the most often is Belden 1802B (I think). It's 110 ohm AES cable, 2 pairs, with a fairly thick rubbery jacket. I use it for RCA cables all the time, although it's probably overkill. But that's what we've got, so I use it.

I can double check on the part number when I'm at the shop tomorrow if you like.

BTW, it's purple. They used to make it in black, but I don't think they do anymore. It has a white stripe down one side, but I'd recommend labeling the connectors with red and black boots, or colored heat shrink, since the strip will wear off after a couple years. The analog version is red on one side and gray on the other. The Canare stuff I'm thinking of is all gray with a red strip on one side.

There are plenty of options for you...

• Members

thats cool. i may take you up on that in the future, i have a 60' 6 pair snake that i use for stereo recording that i would love 100' of 2 pair instead.

i dont think my local parts house has that stuff. they havent in the past.

did i mention i need it by monday :D

• Members

at work there is a 6 space rack with a cd player (consumer, non rack mount, held in with gray sticky tape and angle irons) and a tape player (consumer, non rack mount, held in with gray sticky tape and angle irons).

Here's an idea for rack mounting consumer grade stuff like CD players and tape players: Usually those items are equipped with rubber feet which are screw attached to the bottom of the device's chassis. I use a basic rack shelf:

http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1303020&GC=631

Then position the device on the shelf, measure, mark, and drill holes in the shelf that line-up with the centers of the rubber feet on the device. Then I remove the screws from the rubber feet, remove the rubber feet, and then screw the device to the shelf using the rubber feet screws.

Archived