How many people can I cover, and what is next on my shopping list?

• Members

You got nice stuff mang. I know you are into this because you ask many good questions.

I'm with the guys that voted for EQs and either better or more floor monitors.

I think many bands prefer at least 4 monitors. Sometimes just two mixes, sometimes 4, your board does that and still gives you two channels for effects.

Don't be afraid of the crossover. It's pretty friggin EZ. You'd master that in about ten minutes with your rig set up and an Ipod playing a few songs.

I have my DBX crossover in the FOH rack by the mixer. I have plenty of returns in my snake and I have more control over my subs.

• Members

If the potential upgrades are for your band only, then you can identify what's needed next, by your experiences at your gigs.

I don't see a DI in your list, but if your band doesn't need one then that could wait I guess.

Most of the upgrades I can think of would only be applicable if you were going to hire a tech to run your sound. Things like comp/gates, another EQ, external FX...

I would suggest you rest a bit and get to know your gear.

• Members

He already has DSP based crossovers inside his speakers, properly programmed and with anechoic box eq already done. No way he's going to do better then what's there.

I almost agree with this. If you're running aux fed subs, which I maintain yields better results, you have no choice but to use an external crossover. Also, it's nice to be able to adjust the volume of the stack from the crossover versus crawling behind the speakers.

If you're running aux fed subs though, there's really no compelling reason to add a crossover. If you're only running pre-recorded DJ stuff there's no reason to run aux fed subs.

• Members

IMO your best investment is find a local sound tech and get some hands on experience. The trial and error method takes a long time vs hooking up with a sound tech who can step you thru your system and teach you how to use it way faster in person.

Sure theirs some awesome folks here that gives out awesome advice, but nothing like having a sound tech come to a gig and give you heads up on what's needs to be done.

FWIW I was fortunate enough to post about e-drum question awhile back and met a sound tech guy here on this forum that lives just a few miles away from me and we got together and his experience and knowledge taught me the right way to use a e-kit thru my system. Me and my ex e-drummer still can't thank Jim enough. :cool:

FWIW my ex e-drummer had to quit do to a new job he landed. We're still friends. :thu:

• Members

I almost agree with this. If you're running aux fed subs, which I maintain yields better results, you have no choice but to use an external crossover.

Aux fed subs are even easier using his speaker's built-in DSP.

Just run the aux to the subs. Done.

• Members

Aux fed subs are even easier using his speaker's built-in DSP.

Just run the aux to the subs. Done.

I don't know how to do this. I've tried reading some threads on here about it, but I don't really get how its done. Only 6 aux outs and I'm using 3 for the mons? So...

• Members

I don't know how to do this. I've tried reading some threads on here about it, but I don't really get how its done. Only 6 aux outs and I'm using 3 for the mons? So...

Don't bother, just one more way for you to screw up. Focus on the basics.

• Members

OK wise guy - how's the master fader going to adjust the sub and mains separately? Not that is reason enough to buy a crossover.

Read your comment as turning the system up and down, not balancing between subs and tops which would presumably be done and set during set-up.

All of my DSP lives in the amp racks and don't change. Don't need to.

• Members

and now I'm working with B and C level national acts, slated to go on tour in the fall (monitor tech) and going up from there.

Dude if you come through Western Canada, (more specifically Saskatoon/Edmonton) hit me up, let me know when you are coming down. At the very least i owe you a beer!

• Members

There is a lot of good PA guides here in the sticky section, and doing a google search. Just reading and understanding most of the Yorkville guide will up your PA knowledge.

But I also agree that there is nothing like learning from someone with years of experience with live sound. You could hire a local guy and pay him a bit extra to have him tutor you a bit on your PA.

dk

Archived