Found a trailer...

• CMS Author

1. You'll grow to hate the height. It really sucks to bash your head while lifting something heavy.

2. Replace the wheel bearings and the tires. And buy three tires (I don't see a spare). Get bearing buddies to replace the axle grease caps. Single-axle trailers that lose a tire or bearing do absolutely spectacular things on the road, none of which you ever want to see at all, let alone in your mirrors. If you do nothing else, follow this advice. 6 year old trailer tires, even with low miles, are starting to rot. And nobody maintains bearings properly, so count on the grease being original.

3. Don't forget a hitch lock, a locking hitch bolt, and good padlocks for the gate.

Congrats!:thu:

• Members

Yes, there are some downsides to that particular trailer BUT it's not bad for a first trailer. While EVERYONE complains about stooping over in a trailer, having the smaller box makes it easier to see around with your stock mirrors, less worry about how much it hangs over from side to side, probably doesn't require brakes (ALWAYS good to have but not always required or needed on a small trailer), doesn't stick up like a parachute in the windstream, and tracks in the tow vehicles wheel track.

I WANTED a 5x5x10 but found a closeout deal with side door I couldn't pass up in 6x6x10. Plenty of room and I can stand up in it (although NOT walk, I'd hit my head on the roof braces). Losts of higher wind drag (even using my Ford Expedition 4x4), wheels stick way out and hard to see around. It was a CHORE driving too and from gigs. My little 8.5x4x4 makes towing an easy thing. I even use my Ford Explorer 4x4 for that, the trailer wheels track the tow vehicles', hardly sticks above the vehicles roof and I can still see around it with the stock mirrors. Yes, it's a major PITA to stack something heavy and I've burnt my back on the bare aluminum roof. It's still a joy to own and tow ;>)

PS. We've had many discussions on trailers. Do a search and check it out, please.

Boomerweps

• Members

Notice I did NOT just state SEARCH like a chastisment, merely a gentle reminder. I mentioned it at the end because of your reaction after some of the other comments, it reminded me of several related discussions on what was important to consider and look for when buying a trailer. Last I knew the search does work. Also once you subscribe to a thread, caused by a reply, they really accumulate. I just spent quite a time out of my life deleting about 29 pages out of 33 of subscribed threads (somewhere in the 2000s or so ;>( Anyways I leave active a few key subjects and the trailer threads is one area. ;>)

Boomerweps

• CMS Author

Notice I did NOT just state SEARCH like a chastisment, merely a gentle reminder. I mentioned it at the end because of your reaction after some of the other comments, it reminded me of several related discussions on what was important to consider and look for when buying a trailer. Last I knew the search does work. Also once you subscribe to a thread, caused by a reply, they really accumulate. I just spent quite a time out of my life deleting about 29 pages out of 33 of subscribed threads (somewhere in the 2000s or so ;>( Anyways I leave active a few key subjects and the trailer threads is one area. ;>)

Boomerweps

What search???:confused: The link's been gone since HC2.0. It's slated as a priority item when vB 4.0 gets put in here (yes, they're finally going to do the right thing and get us a *real* upgrade) but for the time being, you can use Google and "acapella.harmony-central" as a keyword in the search. Suboptimal, at best.

• Members

Besides planning out how your gear will fit in your new trailer, you also need to weigh all your gear to make sure what ever trailer you wind up getting will actually safely carry the load.

We have a 5x10 v-nose Wells Cargo we found used and while in theory we could fit all the gear for our 4 piece band in it in two layers, we don't, because that much gear weighs more than the trailer is rated for. And we mostly have pretty light weight gear.

The last thing you want is to have all your gear in one basket and have an overloaded tire blow out going down the highway. As Craig said, nasty things will occur should you lose a tire or wheel at higher speed, especially on a single axle trailer.

Good luck, Winston.

PS. Our 5x10 tows like a dream behind my 4-Runner although I sure would like to add trailer brakes to it. Luckily, we have a 5'4" drummer so whenever possible I put her inside the trailer and she gets to load it inside while standing up which saves my what would be bent over back.

• Members

Great score! My $.02...Don't put band decals, equipment manufacturers, etc., on the trailer. Check the lights on the trailer EVERYTIME you hitch it up. Get an inexpensive "headlight" with an adjustable headband for afterdark use. Always have someone assist the driver whenever backing the trailer.

• Members

Our trailer is this same size. I'm 6'1 and am the one inside loading the trailer. While it is not perfect having to bend over inside we have our system down to where everything goes so I am brought the gear in the order it is loaded and the whole thing is loaded in under 5 minutes. I can manage being inside it for 5 minutes for the advantage of the smaller trailer that is easier to tow. Plus if I had a bigger trailer I'd just buy more gear to fill it. The 5x8 has really stopped some unnecessary gear purchases!

• Members

Thanks guys. I picked this up yesterday. American Hauler Night Hawk, 6x10, ramp rear door.

nhawk_sm_wn.jpg

I was thinking on the 5x10, but this 6x10 (pic may be of a 6x12) was just $100 more, and two of the other band members who were with me agreed it was a deal when we put the pickup to it and the mirrors worked fine.

This was a few inches taller, as well; the guitar player is 6

• Members

We took a strip of the diamond plate metal about 12 inches long and added a piano hinge to it. Mount it to the floor just inside the trailer door. When you lower the ramp, the diamond plate lowers over the crevice and makes a smooth roll on surface.

• Members

We took a strip of the diamond plate metal about 12 inches long and added a piano hinge to it. Mount it to the floor just inside the trailer door. When you lower the ramp, the diamond plate lowers over the crevice and makes a smooth roll on surface.

:thu: Sounds like a plan...

:)

• Members

Roll the lip of the diamond plate down a little because the ramp door angles down and the strip of metal you add will go past the point where the ramp starts to lower and make a drop off if you aren't careful with dimensions.

Archived