Any thoughts or experience with this mic?

• Members

Audio-Technica AE6100

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audio-Technica-AE6100-Hypercardioid-Dynamic-Microphone?sku=270422&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26020629

I am looking to make an upgrade to my SM58. I need something with more clarity and better feedback rejection.

Basically just looking for reason for or against this mic. Thank you! :wave:

• Members

i dont know anything about the at mic mentioned, but if you are having trouble with a plain 58 then maybe we should look at why, as the 58 is not a particularly troublesome mic.

in most cases i'd agree with you, but this is an upgrade, not a fix. there ARE better live mics out there these days than the 58s of the world.

• Members

I've used the 5400 series condenser version of this with great results, though it wasn't a particularly rugged mic. One of my favorite things about AT is that they are right in Stow OH and easy to get hold of to order parts, get things fixed, etc. Mine began having tremendous dB jumps in volume and I went to a Sennheiser while waiting on a repair. Using the Sennheiser e838 right now and it sounds fantastic, even when compared to the AT.

• Members

One dislike I have of the AE series condenser vocals is that they are very bright. Not unlike some of the Sennheisers... or the Shure 87's. significant bump in the 6-10kHz range that IMO is not "necessary" for articulation. Does help PA's lacking clear and extended high ends but can cause problems with hot monitors.

Other than that, it's a great sounding mic.

• Members
+1.

That's hitting the nail on the head. There have been a few improvements in technology since the 40 or so years since the 57 and 58's were introduced.

Yep, I can live with a 58 if that's my only choice. But it is far from my fav. I really am fond of the EV ND767

• Members

how can it be prone to feedback when one of its selling points is feedback rejection?

i play in a loud/heavy metal band, so this is kind of a crucial characteristic for me.

Polar pattern versus rejected source location.

Would NOT be my choice for loud heavy metal band at all.

• Members

I have the AT 4000 series wireless which is very pricey and if memory serves has the 6100 series Elite Cartridge in the transmitter.

I decided to look for a 3000 series wireless and tripped over a deal for the 4000 series that I could not refuse.

I took the recommendation from Andy on this one and to my ear, the SM58 is not even in the same league as these microphones.

I love it as much as I love my EV NDYM 767 wireless mic, or perhaps more!

• Members

Andy.....Every once in a while you comment on something that is so beyond my level of knowledge that I have to ask for an explanation.

You have always been very kind and patient with me regarding my questions. You should have been a teacher!

Frankly you are just in a whole other league when it comes to education, knowledge, engineering, and experience, that many of us who wish to learn cannot decipher the comments that you make.

Craig and Don and maybe afew others will get it. I get alot of them....but not all.

Why test the mics you mentioned and why double 30 degree monitors?

As always....thank you for your patience and understanding.

Glenn

• Members

Andy.....Every once in a while you comment on something that is so beyond my level of knowledge that I have to ask for an explanation.

You have always been very kind and patient with me regarding my questions. You should have been a teacher!

Frankly you are just in a whole other league when it comes to education, knowledge, engineering, and experience, that many of us who wish to learn cannot decipher the comments that you make.

Craig and Don and maybe afew others will get it. I get alot of them....but not all.

Why test the mics you mentioned and why double 30 degree monitors?

As always....thank you for your patience and understanding.

Glenn

Test the different mics because sometimes one will work better due to other details within the system, the room or the particular voice being amplified. There's no 100% rule, but there are choices that have a higher or lower probability of working well.

The double-boxing and 30-ish degrees off center (60 degrees or so angle between them) is to work better with a hyper-cardiod mic that has a lobe at 180 degrees from the front. This generally will increase useable SPL while rejecting a little more feedback. Even with a single box, it should be ~30 off the centerline.

• Members

sorry to necro this thread, but i am pretty close to purchasing a mic, and i have it narrowed down to these two:

Audix OM7 Microphone

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-OM7-Microphone?sku=270654

Decent sound quality but amazing GBF (gain before feedback) characteristics, which is a big deal to me. I need my vocals to be heard above my loud band.

Electro-Voice N/D767a Dynamic Supercardioid Vocal Microphone

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Voice-ND767a-Dynamic-Supercardioid-Vocal-Microphone?sku=270058

Very good/clear sound, but probably not as good in the GBF department. BUT, this mic is also half the cost of the Audix.

Archived