What is a parallel output on a DirectBox?

• Members

Ok, well here is a thought expirement for you...

You have a MixWiz 16:2. One day one small part of the MixWiz fails. You replace that part and toss the old one in a box. Each day from then on, a piece fails one by one... until you have replaced every single part of your MixWiz.

You then take your broken pieces and re-assemble them into a non-working MixWiz.

Which one is your original MixWiz? Are they the same MixWiz? Is one a copy of the other?

• Members

Ok, well here is a thought expirement for you...

You have a MixWiz 16:2. One day one small part of the MixWiz fails. You replace that part and toss the old one in a box. Each day from then on, a piece fails one by one... until you have replaced every single part of your MixWiz.

You then take your broken pieces and re-assemble them into a non-working MixWiz.

Which one is your original MixWiz? Are they the same MixWiz? Is one a copy of the other?

Which one has the serial number?

• Members

Also you can argue that since both the DI and the Parallel Output have had the smallest effect on the signal that neither is the original and both are two brand new signals!

(I'm just bored right now.)

Nah, they are still both the same original signal, just slightly altered.

I get one TV signal into my house. But just because I have two TV sets, one playing the signal in color and one in black and white, doesn't mean I suddenly have two signals. It's just two representations of the same signal.

(I'm bored too.)

• Members

Nah, they are still both the same original signal, just slightly altered.

I get one TV signal into my house. But just because I have two TV sets, one playing the signal in color and one in black and white, doesn't mean I suddenly have two signals. It's just two representations of the same signal.

(I'm bored too.)

Yes, but now you've only looked at part of the specimen. You have to examine both signals all the way to your eye.

You go in your livingroom where your HD Plasma is and the signal is now different entering your brain than in the basement where your black and white 12 inch is.

And even if you had the SAME TV model in both rooms, there is no way they could be identical. Which again would send a different final signal into your eye and into your brain.

• Members

Also, we have to think of these audio signals as energy, and since matter/energy can neither be created nor destroyed in our universe if a signal splits it cannot contain all of the original energy of the first signal in the two resulting signals, thus they are altered and again two new signals!!

• Members

Yes, but now you've only looked at part of the specimen. You have to examine both signals all the way to your eye.

You go in your livingroom where your HD Plasma is and the signal is now different entering your brain than in the basement where your black and white 12 inch is.

And even if you had the SAME TV model in both rooms, there is no way they could be identical. Which again would send a different final signal into your eye and into your brain.

Well, anytime a signal is re-amplified or re-configured you now, technically, have a new signal.

But in a DI box it's just splitting a single signal to two outputs. Not creating two signals. Now if you hook both those outputs to separate wireless transmitters, now you have two new, completely different types of signals.

• Members

Curious.

Great for acoustic/electric guitars , Keys, bass guitar and use the parallel out to feed the amp.

If you want a clone get a A/B box great for 2 instrument into 1 amp or vice versa 1 instrument to 2 amps.

For me I like specialty DI boxes.

Plain Jane's regular DI's for Line Level KB's drum modules some DJ gear(hard to beat EWI)

LA Baggs DI for acoustic/electric, Nashville's most used DI on countless of today's top country hit albums.

H&K RedBox for guitar amps goes in between amp and speaker.

Marshall Power Brake so the damn guitarist want cause deafness and can crank the amp up to get those tubes glowing and have "THE TONE" without blasting the rest of us up on stage.

Sansamp for Bass DI, think Tool type of bass sound since I do metal.

Yes I like more option then what a regual DI can offer on some things. So I can achive a more produced live sound.

• Members

Disagree; the TV signal is the same, and that signal path ends at the television tubes/screens.

What you're seeing/interpretting with your eyes/brain is your perception of the TV signal.

From that point, you have a new/different signal altogether, which starts on at that screen, goes through your eye/optic nerves, and terminates in your brain.

• Members

Disagree; the TV signal is the same, and that signal path ends at the television tubes/screens.

What you're seeing/interpretting with your eyes/brain is
your perception
of the TV signal.

From that point, you have a new/different signal altogether, which starts on at that screen, goes through your eye/optic nerves, and terminates in your brain.

We're treading into dangerous waters here you know...

If we come to the conclusion that no matter what a signal has passed through it is still the same signal...

I can see it now...

"Of course thats my singing voice... it goes right from my lips and into the audience's ears doesn't it..."

-Jessica Simpson

-Paris Hilton

-Ke$ha

-and so on...

• Members

(I'm just bored right now.)

Man you MUST be bored right now. The parallel phone jack of a DI is a straight wired through - feed through signal which is the same as the original signal (I guess philosophicly the signal at the end of the guitar cord isn't the same as the one at the pickup but.......).

There is a very high inpedence load added across the signal pair which is the input of the iso transformer in the DI. Other than extremely high impedence pickups, like Peizzo's (this is where active DI's come in handy)), this extra load is neglible to the sound of the signal.

You can reverse the cord going from the instrument to the DI and from the DI to the amplifier (both 1/4 phone) with no effect (the DI will work the same).

Archived