MY Million Dollar Idea...

• Members

I've been kicking this around for a while, and if you decide to steal it... then you have to pay me royalties... or something.

I'd like to start a consulting company. In fact, some of you pros could come work for me, because I just had the idea, but I'll need your brains and knowledge of live/recording set ups.

So here is the BIG IDEA!

I certify something "Autotune Free."

Maybe I'll call my company Talent. Our motto will be "Give me talent, or give me death."

We hold ourselves to a higher standard, and cannot be bribed by Sony or Warner Bros. An artist like Christina Aguilara comes to us and says, I want to pay for your services. I send one of my pros to sit in on her entire recording/mastering process. He reports back to me and we certify her new album: Autotune-Free

Sting wants to have a giant worldwide tour... one of our agents tours with him and certifies every event to be Autotune-Free.

So when fans of these artists show up they know they are getting the real deal. Eventually, when the autotune backlash occurs and people stop going to a show to see a pretty face and instead come to see talent and music that moves them... we'll be huge! No one will want to see a non certified concert or buy a non certified album!

And I'll be rich!

Whatya think?

• Members

The obviously auto-tuned crap like Kesha is bad enough, what I'm scared about is the fact that auto-tune is becoming so high-tech soon anyone will be an amazing singer!

Its one thing to sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5trmuJr7Ig

And have it be obvious. (I mean I hate it, but whatever, at least its so obvious that most morons know its happening...)

But when you've got someone with no talent at all who sounds like they might have a bit of talent all thanks to some recording engineer... it kinda makes me want to puke.

• Members

Well the idea is that people will still use autotune for their shows...

but no one will want to buy a ticket because they know it isn't certified "autotune free".

So eventually, the people with little talent in singing, will go out of business!

• Members

Unfortunately i must declare this idea a -

FAIL

Sorry, just don't think it will work :)

My reasoning being that most of the paying public don't care if autotune is used or not. As long as they are having a great time and enjoy the song/show/recording then it's all good.

• Members

Unfortunately i must declare this idea a -

FAIL

Sorry, just don't think it will work
:)

My reasoning being that most of the paying public don't care if autotune is used or not. As long as they are having a great time and enjoy the song/show/recording then it's all good.

Ah yes... tis true...

screw the masses.

• Members

The flaw in your idea is that it's the auto-tune that's selling. Almost all pop music you hear now has hard auto-tune. Why? Because that's what's selling so it gets pushed even more. It's what "the masses" want. It would be like certifying rap videos free from scantily clad females.

Nothing endures but change. Eventually it will play itself out and we'll be on to the next thing.

• Members

I remember hearing a great story from an engineer about autotune.

He had this female Pop/R&B vocalist in the studio. She starts doing a few takes and the engineer is puzzled - it sounds like an auto-tune plug in has been inserted on her voice but is nowhere to be seen in Pro Tools. He thinks it might be a bug so he restarts his mac and opens the session again... same thing happens!

The engineer apologises to the vocalist over talkback that he is having a few technical problems and invites her back in the control room for her to chill out. She then rehearses a few lines in the control room and the engineer's jaw dropped.

She sung naturally like she had an autotune plug-in inserted! Turns out that all the music she listened to / was influenced by was all heavily processed and somehow she had managed to mimic some of the effects of it.

Amazing hey!

• Members

I remember hearing a great story from an engineer about autotune.

He had this female Pop/R&B vocalist in the studio. She starts doing a few takes and the engineer is puzzled - it sounds like an auto-tune plug in has been inserted on her voice but is nowhere to be seen in Pro Tools. He thinks it might be a bug so he restarts his mac and opens the session again... same thing happens!

The engineer apologises to the vocalist over talkback that he is having a few technical problems and invites her back in the control room for her to chill out. She then rehearses a few lines in the control room and the engineer's jaw dropped.

She sung naturally like she had an autotune plug-in inserted! Turns out that all the music she listened to / was influenced by was all heavily processed and somehow she had managed to mimic some of the effects of it.

Amazing hey!

Thats insane. Poor girl.

• Members

A - How did they think they were going to get away with that? It's ridiculously obvious?

2 - How bad did it really sound?

C - I don't know what was worse, the post production auto-tune of the singer or the post production work done to the audience. It's like the auto-tune was turned on the crowd and the production guy dialed in "frenzy". They do that on America's Got Talent and it's one of the many reasons I detest that show.

And what's with the large and ill fitting foam windscreen?

Archived