Am I stupid

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Record in stereo. Pan the overheads LR, and pan the toms according to their location on the kit in relation to the LISTENER.

You can get perfectly fine recordings of the drum kit that way, but it's a little cumbersome and not ideal. It will just take some trial and error to setup correctly.

In conclusion: it depends on the sounds you're looking for and what you're trying to do.

• Members

Really just going for demo crap. Having a real hard time with this 788. I'll try setting up stereo. Have no overheads though. Just snare, t1, t2, t3, and kick.

What I'm trying to get rolling is to be able to walk in the studio, flip on the Tascam, practice, then burn everyone a CD on the way out the door of everything we worked on.

Its just a bitch and a half.

• Members

i record live professionally and i tell ya, you will only get amateur results with that method.

that said, maybe thats all the more you need. i'm just saying there's "recording", and then there's recording.

i use a splitter and multitrack (and overheads for drums), audience mics, etc. and will typically time align the drums to the overheads when mixing. not always, but often. you would be amazed what a few ms will do for a mix.

or you could just throw some d112's around and call it "sooper"

• Members

After recording our Church band off two aux sends for the last10 years, I've just about got it down to a respectable result most of the time....:facepalm: I first devote my attention to the live mix.

As noted, it's easier said than done in a live setting. It's hard to hear what's really going on in the recording while being in the live room and you can only make adjustments for your failings on the next recording unless you set up a multi-track to hard disc type setup that can be remixed.

I think I would rather have just a couple of overheads and kick miced for a quick and dirty recording of what it sounds like. Actually, if the stage isn't too loud, I'd rather have just kick and OHs all the time if the drummer knows how to control themselves on the cymbals....... (Yeah right..)

Winston

• Members

Well this isn't for a live recording. This is in our practice studio. I just suck at everything when it comes to recording for some reason.

I set up the drums and all I get is a bunch of hiss. I record vocals clear as day. Its so damn frustrating.

• Members

It sounds like you are trying to record your rehearsal sessions and burn CDs to give to your bandmates. Is this correct? If so, just get a couple of mics and put them at the back of your practice space. Run those mics into the 788. If you just take a signal off of the PA board you will get a lot of what you don't want and not enough of what you do want. If your sound is balanced as a band, then you should get acceptable results with this method.

Good luck.

Rick

• Members

I have tried to record rehearsals directly from the mixer in the past. It's good but complicated in the sense that you have to mic everything, try and get a deacent mix and then record it on two tracks on the recorder. Since 2 years I just put up a Zoom H4 on a small tripod and press rec. The result is better and more natural and it is much simpler to set up.

• Members

I would suggest that the overheads are needed to get a decent result. For the sort of recording that you are trying to do, a pair of overheads and a kick would yield acceptable results.

However, the mics in the room or H4 suggestion would probably be more useful. It would give you an idea what your live mix actually sounds like to the audience.

• Members

Hi Sub.

My son's band uses close to the same set-up to record.

They mic all the drums, and they also set-up the overheads

(Drum mics from EWI)

They send the signal to a MixWiz, and from there it goes to a Mac Laptop.

They do all the recording themselves, so they are learning by doing.

The overheads make a big difference.

You can listen to their recording at their website so you can get an idea.

www.myspace.com/southpawkings

• Members

to think that I can get a decent recording of drums by micing each drum sending them to my mixwiz, then using aux1 out to send all 5 drums to one input on my Tascam 788?

Is there a better way?

Yo bro this 2010 time to annie up for a DAW system

The computer your using to type your post will work.

You have 3 types of soundcards to choose from

PCI slot highly recommended for old school desktops

USB aimed more for laptop users

Firewire same as USB but with faster data transfer.

Depending on your choice of soundcard will determine your routing options.

Download this for recording software for free http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Your way to limited with the 788.

For me, if I'm just recording a practice session for reference I just use room mic since quality not really a priority.

• Members

difficult situation.

In a jam room, everthing is loud, mic bleed is severe. On top of this, the room's accoustics play a huge role in how the recording will sound. Sometimes two condensors will pick up everything in a jam room better than trying to close mic everything. It's a matter of trial and error and more trial.

• Members

Really just going for demo crap. Having a real hard time with this 788. I'll try setting up stereo. Have no overheads though. Just snare, t1, t2, t3, and kick.

What I'm trying to get rolling is to be able to walk in the studio, flip on the Tascam, practice, then burn everyone a CD on the way out the door of everything we worked on.

Its just a bitch and a half.

what happens here is the cymbols usually come out terrible as they are off axis with the mics.

• Members

I appreciate all the thoughts guys. Maybe its time for an upgrade, maybe I can make this work.

I have practice on Thursday, so I think I'll make a vid of my current set up and ask you guys for a second opinion.

I meant to say thanks again to everyone for the tom mic advice you guys gave a few weeks ago. I just picked up another SM57 and its working just fine. Also got the toms all tuned up so they sound great in the mix.

• Members

If it's just reference mixes, why don't you try setting up a decent 2-mix using the L/R bus on the MixWiz? That should be pretty easy...

Run the monitors in the practice room off an Aux.

MG

PS - Get a pair of OH's on the drums.

Thanks Mark...

umm... whats the L/R bus on the MixWiz? Just the main outs?

• Members

Just trying to record something to listen to so we can have homework when we're not practicing.

Wouldn't mind being able to cut demo quality stuff. I just have no real experience. I find myself wasting time just to figure out why something is hissing like hell on one track and perfect on another.

Maybe taking tom mics off and going to over heads with the sm 57s is a better idea?

• Members

Yo bro this 2010 time to annie up for a DAW system

The computer your using to type your post will work.

You have 3 types of soundcards to choose from

PCI slot highly recommended for old school desktops

USB aimed more for laptop users

Firewire same as USB but with faster data transfer.

Depending on your choice of soundcard will determine your routing options.

Download this for recording software for free

Your way to limited with the 788.

For me, if I'm just recording a practice session for reference I just use room mic since quality not really a priority.

Just to clarify, the reaper software is not free. It is sold on an honor system so that one can download the full correct program and try it out for free, but if one decides to keep and use the program one is asked to pay for it. Last I knew it was $60 for personal use and ~$250 for professional use. Definitely worth every penny, as I personally find it as useful as any of the more expensive daws I've used, including Cubase, Sonar, Cool Edit, etc.

Archived