My Carvin powered mixer blew up... again.

• Members

The first time was about 3 years ago when the power amps blew. I had it fixed, but had already bought a replacement. So the Carvin sat mainly unused. I used it to play some recorded music at a wedding, and to rehearse one time.

I decided to sell it. A guy was on his way over to see it, so I plugged it in and fired it up, using a pair of Yamaha SM15s to test it. It worked for about 30 seconds, and then I heard a nasty 'pop'. All the clip lights for the internal amps went on and stayed on. I powered it down, unplugged all speaker, power and mic cables, and the powered it back up. Still, all clip lights are on.

After looking for the obvious on the inside (fuses, burned traces, etc) and finding nothing, I concluded it needs yet another power amp repair. I'm debating fixing it or just selling it as a passive mixer (the mixer section still works just fine).

This is the last piece of Carvin gear I'll EVER buy. Thank God I bought a nice A&H GL2400 mixer to replace this piece of crap.

• Members

The first time was about 3 years ago when the power amps blew. I had it fixed, but had already bought a replacement. So the Carvin sat mainly unused. I used it to play some recorded music at a wedding, and to rehearse one time.

I decided to sell it. A guy was on his way over to see it, so I plugged it in and fired it up, using a pair of Yamaha SM15s to test it. It worked for about 30 seconds, and then I heard a nasty 'pop'. All the clip lights for the internal amps went on and stayed on. I powered it down, unplugged all speaker, power and mic cables, and the powered it back up. Still, all clip lights are on.

After looking for the obvious on the inside (fuses, burned traces, etc) and finding nothing, I concluded it needs yet another power amp repair. I'm debating fixing it or just selling it as a passive mixer (the mixer section still works just fine).

This is the last piece of Carvin gear I'll EVER buy. Thank God I bought a nice A&H GL2400 mixer to replace this piece of crap.

Pretty much the same Carvin experience I

• Members

I had a similar thing happen on my Carvin C1644P, but we were running on a generator at the time, so I'm not faulting Carvin for it. They quoted me the same flat rate repair charge, but actually charged me only $140 or so. So even though they may quote you the flat rate, it doesn't mean they're sticking to it.

• Members

I had a similar thing happen on my Carvin C1644P, but we were running on a generator at the time, so I'm not faulting Carvin for it. They quoted me the same flat rate repair charge, but actually charged me only $140 or so. So even though they may quote you the flat rate, it doesn't mean they're sticking to it.

still. just by sending it off means that you have to decide if you are willing to take that gamble.

really though. why do people continue to fall for carvin. I think that it's specifically because it's not available to be seen in any stores and so there is no way for people other than end users to get their hands on it. Most people want to be happy with their purchases and can't accept that they screwed up until much later, or at least long after they have already left positive opinions all over the internet.

most of the carvin stuff that i've seen has been way less than inspiring even when it was working.

• Members

really though. why do people continue to fall for carvin.

A lot of features for the money. Their advertising department is really good at letting you think their stuff is really good quality. I've been happy with their PA stuff, although I don't think I'd do it again. Their guitars that I had were horrible.

• Members

Their advertising department is really good at letting you think their stuff is really good quality.

this is so true. i remember being in high school and drooling over their catalogs. then as i found a few of their instruments around at various places being sold used i realized that they were nothing that i would ever want.

• Members

this is so true. i remember being in high school and drooling over their catalogs. then as i found a few of their instruments around at various places being sold used i realized that they were nothing that i would ever want.

I kind of think of their stuff like Sports Illustrated swimsuit models, or whatever. They look really good in the magazines, but actually living with them may not be as much fun as you think it will be.

• Members

I bought the C1644P because it had 4 subgroups, and 4 monitor mixes. The onboard amps were only used for 2 of the monitors. The mixer itself is not bad, it's the power amps that suck.

I finally called Carvin and told them to quit sending me catalogs. They don't even make decent toilet reading.

• Members

Whadya know ? Another Carvin bashing thread ? My brother has a Carvin 100 watt tube head he bought in 1976 and he did finally have to put a transformer in it 2 years ago. It's been a rock otherwise. He's also got an 80's powered mixer that went 6-7 years as a 5 nights per weeker before being relegated to practice room only and it's never even popped a fuse. My V3 is on it's 3rd year as a daily and so far so good. My brand new ( 2 years ago ) JBL PRX535's had one fry an amp within 2 months in the practice room. Does that mean JBL is crap ? Not a chance, I LOVE those speaks ! Not a glitch since. If you think I'm a Carvin fanboy your wrong. We run an A&H ZED 420 mixer thru PRX 535's and Wharfedale floor monitors ( until next week when the new PRX615m monitors show up ! ) Bottom line is that they make good stuff at a great price point. I'm sure that some of their stuff is better than some of their other stuff but every company is that way. Sorry to hear of your bad experiences but that doesn't mean the whole Carvin line is crap.

On a side note. I Have a PRS custom 24, a '76 Strat with Wormoth neck and loaded Carvin ( yes Carvin ) pickguard, a Carvin DC135 and a Martin Acoustic. No my go to is not the Carvin, it's the Strat but the Carvins quality is right up there with the best imo.

• Members

The Carvin guitars amps I had/have from the 70s-early 80s were great. The last one I bought in the early 90s, as well as some of the other newer stuff I've been around has been barely average to really bad. And their service dept/CS has really gone down the tube. That's been my experience.

• Members

Whadya know ? Another Carvin bashing thread ? My brother has a Carvin 100 watt tube head he bought in 1976 and he did finally have to put a transformer in it 2 years ago. It's been a rock otherwise. He's also got an 80's powered mixer that went 6-7 years as a 5 nights per weeker before being relegated to practice room only and it's never even popped a fuse. My V3 is on it's 3rd year as a daily and so far so good. My brand new ( 2 years ago ) JBL PRX535's had one fry an amp within 2 months in the practice room. Does that mean JBL is crap ? Not a chance, I LOVE those speaks ! Not a glitch since. If you think I'm a Carvin fanboy your wrong. We run an A&H ZED 420 mixer thru PRX 535's and Wharfedale floor monitors ( until next week when the new PRX615m monitors show up ! ) Bottom line is that they make good stuff at a great price point. I'm sure that some of their stuff is better than some of their other stuff but every company is that way. Sorry to hear of your bad experiences but that doesn't mean the whole Carvin line is crap.

On a side note. I Have a PRS custom 24, a '76 Strat with Wormoth neck and loaded Carvin ( yes Carvin ) pickguard, a Carvin DC135 and a Martin Acoustic. No my go to is not the Carvin, it's the Strat but the Carvins quality is right up there with the best imo.

What

• Members

If you read the posts I believe everybody has a personal failure. No one said that ALL Carvin stuff is crap. Enough of what I have bought HAS been crap so that is my own opinion of the company. I believe generally, there has been a drop off in the quality control at Carvin. I do know that their phone support is hit or miss. I have NEVER had good support but others here have. I think it is great that you like their stuff. Lots of people do. Your opinion should not diminish my opinion just as my opinion should not diminish yours. You have had better luck then some of us.

I still don

• Members

Well last response on this thread :) I guess a few responses are open to interpretation. I felt a few leaned towards bashing and felt the need to defend. I came within a knats ass of buying a new C1648 and only at the last second bought the A&H ZED 420 instead. After reading about issues with their new mixers I'm really glad I did. Like I said I'm not a fanboy. My new ( 4 months old ) DCM2004L power amp is so far less than impressive ( although it does work ) . Over and out.

• CMS Author

Seriously though only one post above did what I described and it was really only that one post I was responding to. I should have specified who I was responding to but I didn't . Sorry. Of course everybody has the right to post their own experiences.

Just use the Quote button on the post you're replying to, and there'll be no mistake or doubt to whom you're referring to.

We still don't know which one you mean.

• Members

You did notice that the gear you have had success with is from the 70s and 80s. Buy that gear now and let me know what you think. You are using 30 to 40 year old gear to defend a company.

All true, however the DC135 Guitar I mention is only about 5 years old, my V3 is about 3-4 years old and I might also mention that we have a Carvin LS1801a sub that's about 4-5 years old as well. We use it to supplement our prx718s on larger gigs ( used it for about a year on it's own ) and it has so far been trouble free. Granted it doesn't kick like the JBL's but it does ok for the price point. Anyway I understand full well that people have had legitimate issues. When I first recieved my DCM2004L amp I had to pull the cover off to plug in a ribbon cable :rolleyes: Overall I've been pretty happy with my Carvin stuff though.

• Members

It's really not that hard to figure out. If you want to say my Carvin IEM's suck then whatever. If you want to say that your 12 channel mixer AND your IEM's suck then again whatever. You own them so YOU would know. If somebody says "Carvin sucks" or "ALL Carvin stuff is crap" when in fact thousands of their products are working flawlessly decades after purchase then that's just bashing. Did that help you ?

Seriously though only one post above did what I described and it was really only that one post I was responding to. I should have specified who I was responding to but I didn't . Sorry. Of course everybody has the right to post their own experiences.

I've purchased Carvin Speakers, powered mixer, AB switch, and cables.

The speakers were mediocre on their best day. The mixer has blown up twice. The AB switch had so much crosstalk, I had to take is apart and rewire it with something other than the tiny thread and cheap switches that were in there.

The only thing that has been of any quality is the cables.

So, while some may be happy with their purchases from Carvin, I'll never give them another try. Enough is enough.

Is that bashing? Then I'm a proud basher.

Archived