Help with EV Eliminator Subs

• Members

I was wondering if I could replace the Speaker in the Eliminator sub box with one that has more punch. I like the box but I would like to have one with more punch to it. If you have did one like this any info would be apreciated. Info the Elimi Sub has a 18" 400 watt at 8ohm. Thanks

• Members
I was wondering if I could replace the Speaker in the Eliminator sub box with one that has more punch.

Not really.

I like the box but I would like to have one with more punch to it. If you have did one like this any info would be apreciated. Info the Elimi Sub has a 18" 400 watt at 8ohm. Thanks

What amp are you powering them with? What HPF frequency? What crossover frequency?

• Members

The eliminator sub is kind of a bastard design in that it's sort of a bandpass type design. I would not recommend substituting drivers as the bandpass and driver work together. The sub needs a 40Hz HPF (at LEAST 12dB/octave) and should be crossed no higher than 100Hz.

Do you have an active crossover and separate sub amp?

• Members

Can you explain to me what you are saying? I think you are asking if I cut the lowest. Thanks

What he's trying to say is that if you are not using the crossover to cut out anything below say 40hz you amp is still producing the amplified signal for material in that range, this is not the most effective way to power your sub since it is using power to push those frequencies where the sub is incapable of producing tones below 40hz. Ultimately he's suggesting you can get more punch out of your amp/sub if you have the signal processed a little tighter in the frequency range that your sub can produce.

• Members
http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/Eliminator_i_Sub_EDS.pdf

Yah know - looking at the spec'd response of -3db @ 40 hz, the enclosure tuning frequency of 50hz, and the response curve showing them dropping off the cliff at 70hz I don't see how any of that makes sense in relationship to the others :freak: . I'd probably try a HPF at 50hz and work with that instead of trying to get any real low end output out of them. They'd probably punch fine if the kick was tuned at 70hz and you didn't put any bass guitar in them. That's pretty much how I used to run a pair of CV bass bins in the bad old days - bass guitar had a 2x15 (or 9x10 or 1x18) on one side of the drummer and a 1x15 on the other. Better yet sell 'em and get just about any 1x18 front loaded cabs - I'd take PV118's or SW118V's over them any day :) and those ain't all that good :freak: .

• Members

They aren't that bad of a sub actually. The cab is kinda small so you'd expect the bass response to be so so, not much happening below 45hz. I'd HPF it at 40 24 db/oct, no more than 500w max.

I think the design is similar to the S181, 6th order bandpass. The elim sub was designed to not produce much above 200hz so with a choke coil @ 200 and run parallel full range with the tops, 1 amp could drive the set in stereo. Daisy chain subs to tops, perfect for the weekend warrior type band on a budget. But as usual the speakers sound best with processing.

• Members

They aren't that bad of a sub actually. The cab is kinda small so you'd expect the bass response to be so so, not much happening below 45hz. I'd HPF it at 40 24 db/oct, no more than 500w max.

I think the design is similar to the S181, 6th order bandpass. The elim sub was designed to not produce much above 200hz so with a choke coil @ 200 and run parallel full range with the tops, 1 amp could drive the set in stereo. Daisy chain subs to tops, perfect for the weekend warrior type band on a budget. But as usual the speakers sound best with processing.

I set the HPF at 50 at 24db at this morning service and it made a huge diff. Right or wrong I do know the sound was much better. I thank evrybody for all the help. I don't know anywhere near as much as most of you but I'm willing to learn.

Archived