rack for MixWiz

• Members

I bought a 12 over 12sp EWI a few months ago (older style). I ended up pulling the shelf insert out and installed 14sp rails in it. It does pop up which is pretty cool, I'm sure it saves on vertical space when packed. Overall the case is pretty deep, plenty for deep amps and patch panels on the back. And when loaded with 3 amps and 3 eq's + mixer it's really heavy. Since it has really nice castors it isn't an issue. Very handy all around.

I put that rack together with 3 DBX 231's, 1 yamaha P4500 and 2 P5000 amps. The mixers are either Mixwiz or 01V. With the 01V and an Ipod I don't need a processing rack (comps/main eq/cd player) and the rack will do either 6 mix or 4 mix + stereo or 4 mix plus mono biamp (using internal crossover on P5000 amp). The last gig I did I loaded in and set up everything in 20 min. Add a splitter snake and it's a great monitor world. I'll post pics sometime.

• Members

I bought a 12 over 12sp EWI a few months ago (older style). I ended up pulling the shelf insert out and installed 14sp rails in it. It does pop up which is pretty cool, I'm sure it saves on vertical space when packed. Overall the case is pretty deep, plenty for deep amps and patch panels on the back. And when loaded with 3 amps and 3 eq's + mixer it's really heavy. Since it has really nice castors it isn't an issue. Very handy all around.

I put that rack together with 3 DBX 231's, 1 yamaha P4500 and 2 P5000 amps. The mixers are either Mixwiz or 01V. With the 01V and an Ipod I don't need a processing rack (comps/main eq/cd player) and the rack will do either 6 mix or 4 mix + stereo or 4 mix plus mono biamp (using internal crossover on P5000 amp). The last gig I did I loaded in and set up everything in 20 min. Add a splitter snake and it's a great monitor world. I'll post pics sometime.

Would love to see the pics! This is really similar to what I'm thinking of doing. My only question is what do you do when u have to navigate some stairs. I had only one gig this year where we had stairs as an issue, but it was a PIA. Are the handles on that thing sturdy enough to handle all the weight if we did a two man lift up some steps? The other option I'm thinking is to keep the 2 amps in a different rack...

The EWI cases do look sweet, anyone have the ones with the side extension tables? Those could be useful if/when you have the room.

BTW - thanks for all the suggestions guys.

• Members

Here are some right after I assembled it. 01V on top, EQ/amps below. The extra TRS cable and XLR's both go into the bottom EQ and the XLR's are used for main L/R and TRS for Aux 5/6 when in monitor mode. I haven't had issues with noise with them being unplugged while the other set is being used.

Eventually a 16ch splitter will be rackmounted to the back but as is I'm not using it for monitors as much as the whole band. I'll install it in november before the december season starts.

• Members

Here are some right after I assembled it. 01V on top, EQ/amps below. The extra TRS cable and XLR's both go into the bottom EQ and the XLR's are used for main L/R and TRS for Aux 5/6 when in monitor mode. I haven't had issues with noise with them being unplugged while the other set is being used.

Eventually a 16ch splitter will be rackmounted to the back but as is I'm not using it for monitors as much as the whole band. I'll install it in november before the december season starts.

Looks really good, thanks for sharing your pictures. That's probably the route I'm going to go. I'll let you guys know when I get it all setup.

Really appreciate all the help and suggestions.:thu:

• Members

The Mighty Gig Rack is probably the MOST user unfriendly, pack unfriendly, less than useful piece of poorly fitting hardware ever designed. Personally, I can't think of a rack I dislike more.

:poke: Can you explain why it's user unfriendly? Can you explain why it's pack unfriendly? Can you explain why it's poorly fitting?

It has 2 snap covers, front & back... and then the top lid with standard latches. That's not too complicated to figure out.

It's rack spaces fit all my rack gear just fine.

It's cable management holes to route cabling through works just fine... and as stated, allows me to leave everything plugged in, ready to go for the next shows. IE; unplug cables from the stage snake. Coil it up inside the bottom part of the GigRig. Snap and latch covers. Wheel into cargo van. Boom, done.

I guess that makes it pretty user-unfriendly. :wave:

• Members

Use a tape measure and compare it to any of the nicer rack products. The plastic pieces don't fit well and the velcro straps are a pain, it's bulky and reminds me of a cheap oversized milk jug. (Or garbage can as Sam already mentioned)

Maybe I got lucky... mine fits fine, and I said before, allows me to leave everything fully wired, saving valuable setup time every show.

The only problem so far was I had to get a new set of keys (free of charge from SKB) as the original ones were wearing out on the locks of the expander.

• Members

There is a lot of low end gear that wouldn't stand up to "production company" use but is fine if always handled carefully. Plastic racks are in this category - I own several myself :) . OTOH Audiopile sells cases that are about the same price but "production grade" - heavier though ...

Archived