Unfinished acoustic?

burma

• Members

Pretty unlikely that a major manufacturer would sell an unfinished guitar. An independent luthier might, but most consider their finishes as part of the building process (I certainly do). Probably your best bet is to buy what you want finished and strip it, but that opens a whole can of worms too.

Unless you are really good, I can promise you that whatever you apply will not be as good as what a factory will apply.

Footnote - I do build guitars and was commissioned to make a special guitar for a friend who happens to be one of the best motorcycle painters in the world. I did provide it to him in the white and he did do a beautiful nitro finish, but this was prearranged before we started.

ps - welcome to HCAG

• Members

A few more random thoughts. When I build a guitar I apply a couple of coats of shellac to the top before I start doing the rosette and binding. It keeps the wood from getting fuzzy when I route and it protects the top thru the rest of the build. That is pretty common. Shellac is compatible with almost anything you would put on top of it.

I also finish the neck and body separately - that way when I have to remove the neck I won't damage the finish (as much). Almost everyone does that, Guild is an exception. I also glue the bridge on after the top has been finished (I either mask off the footprint or remove the finish with stripper).

Lastly, depending on the wood you choose, it may or may not need pore filling. Rosewood, mahogany, koa all do, maple and spruce do not. Just part of the finishing process.

Archived