Coupled vs Neat

• Members

Just wanted to share two parties I did in the same venue using the same equipment. Both photos were during set up, just to show the point of coupled vs neat looking

In the first picture there were about 40 guests and in the second one about 120. Same sound equipment was used both times

2 Rcf art310 tops

4 Rcf art905 subs

Neat Looking:

4rcfart095as.jpg

Louder chest hitting bass:

4art905coupled.jpg

In conclusion I definitely liked the vertical placement of subs from a visual point of view but the subs never over powered the tops. Gains were 80% on tops, 75% on bottom subs and 100% on top subs. (The reason for this was to keep an eye on the limiter loghts of the top subs)

With the subs coupled I had to turn the gain down on the subs to about 60% and the subs still over powered the tops. Tops were about 80%

Both times the sound coming from the RCFs was awesome!!!!!

Next year I will get more powerfull tops, but still undecided between the art522, art525 and art722

• Members

your conclusions are invalid as you changed too many variables between the two sub placements. this difference you heard could just as likely be the difference in cancellation off of the back wall being changed when you moved farther out into the room.

as for your gains, well i'll let someone else comment on that.

not sure i like those tables stacked like that either, looks risky.

• Members

It's a little hard to see, but tell me if I have this right....You have stacked two bar tables to make stands for moving head lights and you have stacked three bar tables to make stands for video projectors. And you feel the coupled subs are untidy?

• Members

It's a little hard to see, but tell me if I have this right....You have stacked two bar tables to make stands for moving head lights and you have stacked three bar tables to make stands for video projectors. And you feel the coupled subs are untidy?

Yes, I know what you mean

I was just trying to make the point on the my experience with sub placement. Black cloth was used to cover the tables so it did not look as it does during the setup pics

• Members

Yes, I know what you mean

I was just trying to make the point on the my experience with sub placement. Black cloth was used to cover the tables so it did not look as it does during the setup pics

well the black cloth does make it safe should something bump the tables.

• Members

blackcloth.jpg

Found a picture!!

Dude seriuoly lose the fogger the picture made me start coughing, and buy a good water base fluid hazer.

Foggers choke people :cop: water based hazer don't.

Also invest in a crank style lighting truss. You'll thank me later when you start loading up a bunch of lights on a truss.

All I can say, your lot braver then I am with LED's lights.

As far as ground stacking subs vs double stacking subs I dunno enough about it to make a comment.

Anyways thanks for sharing the photo's and looks like you got the lows covered. :thu:

• Members

Dude seriuoly lose the fogger the picture made me start coughing, and buy a good water base fluid hazer.

Foggers choke people
:cop:
water based hazer don't.

Also invest in a crank style lighting truss. You'll thank me later when you start loading up a bunch of lights on a truss.

All I can say, your lot braver then I am with LED's lights.

As far as ground stacking subs vs double stacking subs I dunno enough about it to make a comment.

Anyways thanks for sharing the photo's and looks like you got the lows covered.
:thu:

Thanks for your comments

I used both a fogger and a martin magnum 2500 hazer you can see the fogger to the left of the subs and the hazer to the right of the subs, also in the first picture you can see my light T-bar in the back, for the bottom picture the t-bar was left behind so I had to improvise

this is a pic of my crank style light T-Bar: ( the cable hanging in the back is from the laser on top of the table - that laser BTW has also been storaged and now I use ADj and chauvet lasers

CIMG0015.jpg

• Members

Looks to me like there are more pertinent issues than your sub placement.

As for sub placement, a center-cluster of subs provides a stronger and more even coverage, provided they're setup properly. Too many subs and no time delay causes some tricky cancellation patterns.

I prefer to stack subs on the sides. It creates a power alley which may or may not be desirable, but it's a different setup for a different application.

For your application, the differences aren't really a big concern. So long as you have a fairly even coverage, adequate output, and the stacks aren't going to fall over... you can set it up however you want.

• Members

Ahhhh yes, priorities ;)

Archived