Peavey 16FX failure this weekend.

• Members

I don't normally test my gear before every gig, but I just received my recently repaired Peavey IPR1600 amp and wanted to get it back in the rack.

I hooked everything up and as I brought the faders up on the mains, nothing!

Signal on the mixer led's, but no signal out to amps.

OK, start over. Eliminated all outboard gear and went mixer>amp>speakers. Still nothing but a very faint, crackling output at high volume.

Switched out amps, cables, everything in the chain. Nada

Tried aux out (monitor mix), no problem. Aux sends worked and sub outs worked.

I then tried a factory reset and firmware update, no dice. Main L & R output not working. Tried both XLR and 1/4"

I've had this mixer for several years without a hitch. Fortunately I had a backup mixer and enough time to get it in the rack for the gig.

Anyone heard of this failure before on these mixers? I don't have a local shop I trust for service, so it looks like I'll be shipping back to Peavey.

This on top of the ipr1600 problems I've had is making me a little gun shy.

I know it's a "value brand" but has always been reliable and I've owned Peavey gear since my first band over 20 years ago.

Not a happy camper today!

• Members

Went through it again today. No outboard gear, just a mic and headphones.

Every aux works, all 4 of the submix sends too. Headphone out is fine. The only thing not sending signal is main L&R outputs. Arghh!

I'll give em a call tomorrow.

• Members

Are the main LED arrays working? Make sure it's not PFL'd. If the main LED's are still working, then the signal is getting through the digital board to the main faders. There's not much after that, just some cabling down to the output board. Maybe a cable came loose or something.

Failures like this are rare, we would go broke supporting a 5 year warranty if we had to fix very many.

• Members

Thanks soundman.

No pfl. Led's working but no signal out of main outs.... Until I tried one more time last night.

I pegged the main faders and all of a sudden, sound! Seems to be fine now.

Not sure what would cause it other than loose connections? The mixer lives in a covered rack case, so dust and dirt is minimal.

Weird.

• Members

i use one that failed intermittently, they replaced the chip in the digital FOH section. In order to isolate that, try taking a send from group one and two instead of FOH.

When i did some internet research i found a few stories of similar failure. Of course i cannot vouch for their accuracy and there is a lot of hearsay on the internet :) Generally i like the board a lot although it took some getting used to...

• Members

Check the insert points, excersize them a few times. If you do have a failure like this again (I hope not) use the group 1/2 outputs and an TRS to XLR cable to get to the EQ etc.

I really like the board a lot, I just don't like the FX section at all. Too confusing for me, if it didn't have that I might buy one. but but but. I'm still gonna get a RQ2318 when the price is right for the smaller 2 mix stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

First thing I's do is check the ribbon cable in it. If you go to their forum you'll see that its a common problem and they are pretty good about replacing the SMT chip that may be causing the issue. I've had one for about 5 years and haven't seen an issue. I checked my ribbon cable as a preventative measure, and when I pushed to make sure that it was tight noticed that it did seem to be semi loose. Last I heard was that the turn around time on the chip was 2-3 weeks and you have to pay shipping to them. I'll send mine when I get around to it. In fairness to Peavey, a good portion of forum posts are people that have run into a particular problem. When compared to total sales of an item it may or may not be a high percentage.

• Members

So EVERY manufacturer has gear that fails. It is typically a very low failure rate but it feels like a big rate when it happens to you.

That said I from the experience of owning a repair shop and having worked for several manufacturers I can also tell you that better than 2/3rds of "failures" are really "operator malfunction and there is nothing wrong with the gear. ;)

• Members

So EVERY manufacturer has gear that fails. It is typically a very low failure rate but it feels like a big rate when it happens to you.

That said I from the experience of owning a repair shop and having worked for several manufacturers I can also tell you that better than 2/3rds of "failures" are really "operator malfunction and there is nothing wrong with the gear.
;)

Don and I agree 100% on the above comments.

What I find a little funny is all the woodshed troubleshooting about what's wrong with the unit, but it's still under warranty (right?) so just call Peavey and find out how they suggest rectifying it, Either send it bact to them or use a local warranty station.

Sounds to me (based on as much experience as I have designing products just like this one) like an intermittent mechanical connection BUT there are many potential places where this may occur. I recommend against trying to fix it yourself because unwittingly you may cause other damage and the last thing you want is for the attempted "repair" to invalidate your warranty. Those who built it are best equipped to take care of it down the road.

Sound like good advice Jim & Don?

• Members

Funny, I thought this thread died a while back!

The mixer is several years old and out of warranty. I ran it through its paces out of the rack and after sending a signal through and cranking the faders (No amps or speakers hooked up), and it just started working.

Used it on our last gig with no issues whatsoever. I should still send it in to Peavey for a once-over, but it seems fine now.

Thanks,

CC

• Members

Don he can bust your ass all he wants but as an end user thats had one since shortly after it came out I have to say job well done. It's served me well and any problems I've had have been out of my own miss use or ignorance. Now if you wrote that manual.....well thats a totally different story! LMAO!

Archived