Help newbie, Fender tele / amp questions

LiveMusic

• Members
Good tube amps sound great' date=' but keep in mind that tube amps generally cost more in the long run, with the expense of retubing. A good SS amp can also sound great. I currently own a blackface Bandmaster, a Boogie MK IV, and an Ampeg V4 in tube amps, but gigging I generally use either my Peavey Studio Pro 40, or an Acoustic G20, either with a Vox Stomplab and other effects. Much lighter to haul around, no need to maintain tubes, and a very good tone out of either with a little tweaking. As to guitars, as has been said by others, there is nothing like going to a store and trying out different models. I currently use a JVT59 for all gigs, instead of my Teles or 335, as I like the versatility. I got it for ~$800 as a scratch and dent and bought a case for ~$60 to go with it.[/quote']

I travelled with a Twin Reverb for fifteen years and probably paid for the amp a second time in tubes alone. I replaced the Twin with a Yamaha DG80-112 twenty years ago and the DG80 has required zero maintenance.

I recently replaced my last tube amp, an early '70s SF Fender Princeton Reverb, with a BOSS Katana-50. I'm happy with the minimal maintenance, portability, features and - most of all - with the consistency in sound quality of my modern modelling amplifiers. I also have a Fender Mustang IV which I mainly use for outdoor gigs and on the occasions when I know my guitar will not be going through the PA.

To the OP, I recommend taking a look at (and listen to) the Squier Classic Vibe guitars and the Boss Katana amplifiers. If you are looking for a guitar more along the lines of Gibson then I'd suggest checking what Ibanez has to offer.

Archived