Need suggestions on new top speakers

• Members

Well, thanks to the suggestions of some forumites here, we purchased a pair of Yorkville LS608B subs a few months ago and it has turned out to be a great purchase. Now we need some new tops to go with them. We had been using a pair of JBL JRX115's and just blew them out for the second time. They were fine while they lasted, but we have simply outgrown them. We are a 6 piece dance band with guitar, bass, drums, keys, male and female lead vocalists, and we mic everything out. We have a pair of QSC 2450's, one for the tops and one for the subs. I'm interested in the Yorkville E12b's but am open to suggestion. It looks like I can pick up a pair of the E12b's for $1,300 new. If I can something used for $1,000/pair that would be even better.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Members

The MRX's work real well on a 2450. At about 40 lbs a box they are also manageable by yourself. Personally I like the 15" version better, but the 12's do a fine job too. I think they use a 1 1/2 driver in the horn.

Checked and the MRX is a 1.5" and the Yorky is a 1".

• Members

What are you using a crossover or signal processor? If you are toasting the JRX tops regularly, it seems to me that you may be pushing your system to the ragged edge and having some sort of quality system processing would be a wise investment.

• Members

Isn't the E12 a 12+2"? Seems like that would be a great combo over a nice single 18.

The E12 is a 12" + 1" but still a great sounding (and capable) box, def a step up from the JRX and MRX series. I think you will be well served with the E12 over the LS608.

• Members

Your band member setup is the same as mine.

We bit the bullet several years ago and got the Yorkville U15Bs (B just means NO rat fur, but for about an extra $100 each). Great speakers, first used for 5 years or so over a set of LS808Bs, now over the UCS1B. Granted, you'd be lucky to find a pair USED for your budget but well worth it.

Boomerweps

• Members

Well, thanks to the suggestions of some forumites here, we purchased a pair of Yorkville LS608B subs a few months ago and it has turned out to be a great purchase. Now we need some new tops to go with them. We had been using a pair of JBL JRX115's and just blew them out for the second time. They were fine while they lasted, but we have simply outgrown them. We are a 6 piece dance band with guitar, bass, drums, keys, male and female lead vocalists, and we mic everything out. We have a pair of QSC 2450's, one for the tops and one for the subs. I'm interested in the Yorkville E12b's but am open to suggestion. It looks like I can pick up a pair of the E12b's for $1,300 new. If I can something used for $1,000/pair that would be even better.

Blowing them up... leads to a few questions.

What is failing?

What do you have for a crossover and how is it set?

Do you have the limiters engaged on the amp?

Are you running in stereo mode on the amp?

• Members

I'm using Yorkville U15's over LS608's (sometimes just one). I've found it to be a very nice combo (crossed over and EQ'd to taste).

The E12's are fine but not as nice as the U15's (maybe my assessment is also dependant on amount of volume).

Not sure what is happening in your area but in my twon passive speakers are being discounted heavily as "everyone" turns to powered speakers. For instance, I just picked up a pair of Yorkville E210's for just under $700.00 tax included - they are normally around $900 each before tax.

• Members

Abzurd would be a better advice source on this, but what about going with the RCF ART 312's on top and bridge each 2450 into the subs? I believe you can get two for about $1100 with the recent discount???

• Members

The driver on the horn (I'm probably not using the correct terminology) is what has failed. Both speakers failed about a year ago before we had the subs and crossovers and all that stuff. We got them repaired and they worked fine but we knew it was only a matter of time before it happened again. On NYE, during soundcheck, one of the speakers failed again. Same problem, no high end. Nothing coming out of the horn. Fortunately our drummer has an older pair of JBL SR series 12" tops that we used. We have a DBX 233xl crossover. I crossover at 100hz and run the input and high end at unity. I pump the subs a little higher depending on the room. The limiters are engaged and I run everything in stereo. I'm fairly confident I'm running everything correctly. I'm by no means an expert in live sound, but I've owned and operated several PA's over the past 30 years. I just thing the JRX's are not enough speaker for what we need. Thanks for all of the suggestions and please let me know if you think I'm doing anything wrong.

• Members

Abzurd would be a better advice source on this, but what about going with the RCF ART 312's on top and bridge each 2450 into the subs? I believe you can get two for about $1100 with the recent discount???

I own 4 of those LS608s and they reach theoretical max with 400 rms/800 watts peak, according to the data. I feed mine about 500 rms each, since they are rated for 1600 watts

800 watts is a 29db gain....that added to the 103db1w1m is 132 db, which is infact the theoretical max.

Bridge each RMX-2450 into each LS608?:facepalm:

1300 watts rms/2600 watts @ 8 ohms into the Yorkville Y18/029 B&C OEM woofer rated 1600 watts peak?:eek:

Sure.....Great idea.:idea:

It is a robust beast I grant you, but compression losses dictate that you are never going to get there......

Afterall what's an additional 900 rms/1800 watts peak between friends......

Pass the marshmallows and hot dogs for the bonfire!:lol:

• Members

The driver on the horn (I'm probably not using the correct terminology) is what has failed. Both speakers failed about a year ago before we had the subs and crossovers and all that stuff. We got them repaired and they worked fine but we knew it was only a matter of time before it happened again. On NYE, during soundcheck, one of the speakers failed again. Same problem, no high end. Nothing coming out of the horn. Fortunately our drummer has an older pair of JBL SR series 12" tops that we used. We have a DBX 233xl crossover. I crossover at 100hz and run the input and high end at unity. I pump the subs a little higher depending on the room. The limiters are engaged and I run everything in stereo. I'm fairly confident I'm running everything correctly. I'm by no means an expert in live sound, but I've owned and operated several PA's over the past 30 years. I just thing the JRX's are not enough speaker for what we need. Thanks for all of the suggestions and please let me know if you think I'm doing anything wrong.

Ok, by any chance did the failures happen to coincide with a rip of feedback?

It's also possible that you just don't have enough speaker for the job, just wanted to be sure we looked at the other (cheaper) possibilities as well. ;)

• Members

Ok, by any chance did the failures happen to coincide with a rip of feedback?

It's also possible that you just don't have enough speaker for the job, just wanted to be sure we looked at the other (cheaper) possibilities as well.
;)

Can't say for sure on the feedback. Everything was working fine the night before when we set up and did our major soundcheck. The PA had already be fired up by the bass player when I got there before the gig to do a quicky soundcheck. Thanks for your input! We're going to get the JRX fixed and use for rehearsals or small gigs where we're only micing vocals and get some new tops for most of our gigs. I'm really happy with the Yorkville subs and like the idea of having all Yorkville speakers.

• Members

OFR - here's an example of a good used Yorkville deal around my parts - might be an off chance of something similar where you live. and lots of other manufacturers if you want to look there as well.

I own a slightly older pair of these myself http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/msg/2147192132.html

They might not seem like enough power but they're so efficient they would probably work fine - YMMV.

Edit - here's another lesser known Yorkville speaker, three way that again shows how used passive speakers are getting cheaper - asking $1000 for two speakers and an okay power amp

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/2144458584.html

Of course you've got to watch what you're doing with passive speakers, that's probably why so many people have jumped off the band wagon.

• Members

If it were me I'd buy the used yamaha's in a heart beat. They are excellent speakers, but getting parts would be tough and finding more for expanding would be tough too. I'm in a situation where I want to buy another (3rd) pair of tops, JBL MS105, and it's really tough to get them. FWIW I reload the box with my own drivers, not recommended for most people but for me it's been great.

• Members

I used too own (4) LS608 subs (great little sub by the way) and the majority of the time I always used just one pair with a pair of RCF ART325i cabs.

It was a great sounding system and very easy to move around and setup.

The ART325i cabs have a larger throat on the horns and a better high freq. driver then the ART315 cabs, it is a very noticeable difference on vocal reproduction.

My only complaint with the LS608 subs was that they walked around on the floor when they start pumping out some bass, but other then that very solid sub that could handle plenty of power with ease.

I was powering mine with a QSC RMX4050HD, that amp worked great for powering just a pair or all four.

• Members

The E12Bs would be a great match for the LS608Bs. You should add enough to your budget to also get the Yorkville processor, since you don't run a dsp. It would give you the appropriate eq preset for the tops, and also replace the dbx crossover.

I do also like the RCF suggestions, and happen to have a near new pair of powered ART322As that would cost about the same as the E12B & processor.

Archived