and no low cut filters the 15 and 18 r just fighting

one another

so any real world experience with different sub to low xover

points that seem to work?

4 piece rock ax bass kit

and a female singer

• Members

ok im thinking with all the extra filtering

" Note that each filter block for each frequency driver has several EQ filters to enhance the performance and sound of the whole unit."

sliding a crossover up and down to find a better something may not be the best idea they are what they are.

might just work better doing the aux thing for this set up

and keep ribbing him his down sized rig weighs 200 lbs more

• Members

Interesting, you are all making some assumptions and backwoods engineering comments but haven't done any basic troubleshooting to determine WHAT THE REAL PROBLEM IS. It is, IME, much more likely to be operator error, incorrect set-up (you sure the crossover is really engaged on the cabinets?), not due to a poor set-up decision, what does it sound like with the FOH eq bypassed? Anybody sit down with some proper test equipment and analyze the system to see if something does not look right?

My educated guess is that it's 95% likely that the REAL problem has nothing to do with the 100Hz system crossover point.

• Members

lol wut?

When we moved our HPR181s... which I assume are similar to the KW's... into our new studio, I thought they lacked punch. Started EQing for the fix. Boosting the 70hz and the ultra low on the MixWiz. Being dumb basically.

For {censored}s and grins, went over to the right speaker and reversed the polarity.

Subs about knocked me on my ass after that. EQ back to normal. Even had to turn down. The problem did have nothing to do with the crossover. :D

• Members

Interesting, you are all making some assumptions and backwoods engineering comments but haven't done any basic troubleshooting to determine WHAT THE REAL PROBLEM IS. It is, IME, much more likely to be operator error, incorrect set-up (you sure the crossover is really engaged on the cabinets?), not due to a poor set-up decision, what does it sound like with the FOH eq bypassed? Anybody sit down with some proper test equipment and analyze the system to see if something does not look right?

My educated guess is that it's 95% likely that the REAL problem has nothing to do with the 100Hz system crossover point.

Indeed. I have 153 over 181 setup. Quick, easy and effective. No issues with the bottom end. Of course I run it within it's operating range. I engage the onboard filters and run everything in phase. the system really comes to life with 4 181 subs.

• Members

sometimes you just spout to spout and frankly you piss me off do you ingest what was written

im heading back out to the woods to return to the peace and quiet of nothing.....

You talking to me?

I piss you off by giving you accurate troubleshooting information? I have a lot of experience with this product line being both a contractor dealer as well as a service center.

I suggest you go back to the woods and snuggle up to your ferret.

• Members

I'd have to agree with checking EQ before changing the xover point. We have two HPR15i subs that handled bass guitar quite well, but the kick was always sort of lifeless.

Two weeks ago, we did a complete setup at a bar when it was closed. I spent about an hour tweaking the EQ on the drum kit. When I found the EQ sweet spot on the kick, it thumped the hell out of me. It only took an adjustment of a few dB, but it made all the difference.

• Members

ass wipe a condescending one that spouts more hate then help

yea i was talking to you

i dont doubt your knowledge

but i hate your approach

and you!

Well 'shiver me timbers mate. Looks like you are the ass wipe since I can't figure out where you find all this hate I am spouting. I suggested that you LOVE your ferret, not hate him.

Now, if you are too stupid (or just plain rude) to read what I posted about how to approach solving a problem such as yours, and seeing that nobody else who has the same system you have crossed over at 100Hz is having a problem, it's all your loss buddy.

I'm almost positive the cause of your problem so dumb as to be embarassing to anybody but a dick. Most folks here don't have a problem getting good advice, but then there are a few who are educated beyond their own intelligence. We know which camp you fit in now, don't we?

• Members

As near as I can tell agedhorse's original post was aimed at the responders not the OP. It was merely a reminder to check all likely points of failure before spending time and possibly money unecessarily.

Frankly I was goiing to suggest a Driverack, but reading agedhorse's post, I realized that checking the quantifiable first does indeed make sense.

Where's Rodney King when we need him?

• Members

Frankly I was goiing to suggest a Driverack, but reading agedhorse's post, I realized that checking the quantifiable first does indeed make sense.

A DriveRack is peobably the wrong tool for the job in this case, where all the processing is properly provided and set up internal to the cabinets and we KNOW it works fin with other people's systems which is why I am sure it's something simple but elusive. Besides, clearly the DR is beyond somebody who is unable or unwilling to start with checking the basics eh?

• Members

Agedhorse is always willing to help out. You don't have to agree with him, but he surely deserves a bit of respect.

A bit of mature conversation can go a long way on a forum. I have found that it is quite easy to get heated in a type-written conversation.

I am wondering how that heated exchange would go face to face :confused:

agedhorse was simply stating that in his opinion, the cross-over point wasn't the problem and that it was more likely that other things should be checked first.

I have a DRPA, and I agree that it is a complex piece of gear. I like it, but then again, I enjoy reading the schematics for my mixer and tube amp too.

• Members

I am wondering how that heated exchange would go face to face

i would tell him face to face he is an ass

oh and i respect his knowledge but i get disgusted with his all mighty

u must be stupid assumption he sends in his reply

• Members

I am wondering how that heated exchange would go face to face

i would tell him face to face he is an ass

oh and i respect his knowledge but i get disgusted with his all mighty

u must be stupid assumption he sends in his reply

Dude, careful with that kind of talk, or you might earn a ban.

Aged has been very helpful to me over the years- and yes, I've gotten some tough love. Best to swallow your ego, and take the info.

See, what he may not be explaining, and you may not realize, is that "punch" is not really in your subs - it's in your Tops. That Chest thud occurs in the low 100-150 Hz Range. It's not in your Subs, per se. So Lowering your crossover, may make your top work even harder!

Also the HPR153 has a 100Hz low Cut, so I'm not sure why you stated it didn't... Make sure it's on. I don't know what DSP filters are used in the 153, but if they LR24db/Oct, then you would see a 3dB bump in Freq Response at the X-Over point.... I agree I think it's operator setup error, perhaps a FOH EQ. Also cold be the room - if the Speakers are 5-8' from a wall, you may be getting a standing wave, thus reducing your overall freq resp.

Archived