Can I crank my pa amp?

• Members

I'm running a Crown 802d, 500 watts a side, into Peavey SP5's. I usually set the amp levels around 3 o'clock. Sorry if this is a stupid question but can I crank the amp all the way up and just keep an eye on the clip lights? Or does distortion come into play at those last few notches? I've never put it past 3 o'clock, even with no signal passing.

• Members

Where ever you put the amp dials you can still clip the amp as those amp controls are only one of many "volume knobs" throughout the chain. The input signal strength starts with the instrument, then on to the mixer channel, then to the mixer main slider that feeds the amp, which has another control for input strength.

This is where "gain structure" is important. If you turn up your guitar after everything has been set you could clip the mixer at the channel input, or at the mixer output, or at the amplifier input. If the guitar signal is too low then you raise the noise floor as you have to "turn up" the trim on the channel or the channel slider which amplifies the noise of the guitar, guitar processor, and mixer.

At the end of the day though, your amplifier is always on full bore on the output side, it's just getting the input signal adjusted by the dials on the front. As long as it's fed a signal lower than the voltage needed to clip it, it's happy.

• Members

I always recommend putting them all the way up for portable rigs... you dont want some fool "doing you a favor" mid show or between sets and turning these up for you, its better to choke it back somewhere else less conspicuous IMO

Agreed. A strip of gaff tape on the main fader of your mixer will also keep an accidental slide all the way up from happening.

Archived