Would you get the EV Live X speakers or the JBL PRX Series? - EV videos from NAMM

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

From what we've seen historically from both JBL and EV, I think it's pretty safe to assume both products will be placed to compete well with each other in the marketplace.

Absolutely. If you need to fly the speakers, the EV is right out. If the price is the deciding factor, the JBL is right out. But I'd like to actually hear the EV before making any actual judgements about them.

• Members

I am still waiting on someone to A/B these against the JBL's ;)

I am sure that the new EV's sounded really good; however, all of the speakers in this class are likely to sound "really good" .... particularly with a sub.

It is good to hear that the EV's top end was still EV smooth.

samkokajko,

Did you bring the levels up to a performance level for a medium level club? I see you mentioned that you didn't see them clip.

The K12's I auditioned sounded good at low to medium levels, but started sounding less impressive at higher levels. The JBL's on the other hand weren't as impressive at low levels, but really shined as the SPL's were increased.

• Members

samkokajko,

Did you bring the levels up to a performance level for a medium level club? I see you mentioned that you didn't see them clip.

The K12's I auditioned sounded good at low to medium levels, but started sounding less impressive at higher levels. The JBL's on the other hand weren't as impressive at low levels, but really shined as the SPL's were increased.

We turned them up pretty loud. I was hoping to take them out for the gig I'm at right now but the rep had to take them away with him so all we got to hear was program music. I don't think I would have any problem getting them plenty loud enough for any gig I would spec a single 12"/15" on. I'm trying to think of a good way of saying this but basically, yes they were very loud and sounded excellent at that volume. You aren't going to push a ballroom gig with them. I would be completely comfortable taking out a rig of 2-4 tops (coverage) and 2-4 subs (depending on how much bass you need). For a bar band even two tops and a single sub would work, though two would be better.

• Members

thank you samkokajko for your non bias opinion. i actually just ordered one (for now) got a good deal at 535 no tax free shipping on the 12". gonna play around with it probably as a monitor until i grab another one..assuming i like it. ill let you know my opinion. was told id have within a week or so

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We turned them up pretty loud. I was hoping to take them out for the gig I'm at right now but the rep had to take them away with him so all we got to hear was program music. I don't think I would have any problem getting them plenty loud enough for any gig I would spec a single 12"/15" on. I'm trying to think of a good way of saying this but basically, yes they were very loud and sounded excellent at that volume. You aren't going to push a ballroom gig with them. I would be completely comfortable taking out a rig of 2-4 tops (coverage) and 2-4 subs (depending on how much bass you need). For a bar band even two tops and a single sub would work, though two would be better.

Two 1x12 tops and a sub is what I'm interested in buying. Thanks for the review.

• Members

Come on Craig ... EVERYTHING is made in China. If it's made somewhere else it's made out of Chinese parts and sub assemblies.

You have no other option
;)

I could careless where a product I buy comes from.

I will buy the new Live X speakers even though QSC is located a couple of miles from me in Costa Mesa.

• Members

I don't know if I said this in any post, but when I heard the New EV Live X speakers at NAMM they were blasting those speakers.

For the last two Pink & Bad Company songs it was the loudest with tons of sub filling the room.

The recording on the video is very good.

• Members

I have taken a look at the specs for the EV Live X sub and the two JBL PRX subs.

Electro Voice ELX118P

Case Material 9-ply, 15mm Plywood, Internally Braced, with Texured Paint

Power 700 Watts

Frequency Response (-3 dB) 42 Hz - 100 Hz Hz

Frequency Response (-10 dB) 32 Hz - 130 Hz Hz

Max. SPL/1m (calc) 134 dB

Height 26.02"

Width 19.96"

Depth 22.6"

Weight Net 69.89 lbs

Price: $799

----------------------------------

JBL PRX618S

System Type: Self-Powered 18" bass - reflex

Maximum SPL Output: 129 dB peak

Frequency Range (-10 dB): 41 Hz

• Members

Sadly, the specification game has rendered the specs practically useless for determining anything.

The wattage game is completely out of control, and the SPL readings are being slanted so badly that they mean nothing.

Even if the SPL ratings could be believed, lots of crap is still crap .... just louder crap.

We are left only with opinions of those we decide to trust, and A/B comparisons live when it is possible.

• Members

When you're selling a product it helps to have these confusing/inconsistent numbers thrown around. With a passive box there are simply less components/parts to question, and with powered speakers getting cheap I'd imagine that there is now some more downward pressure on amp price points as more users move to active.

Archived