Would you get the EV Live X speakers or the JBL PRX Series? - EV videos from NAMM

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would never base a speaker choice based on marketing in general, and definitely not on youtube videos.

You know I think all of the speakers in this price point from EV, JBL, QSC, Mackie, Peavey, and Yamaha could be put behind a curtain and hooked up to one mixer and with the same EQ and music and all of them would sound great.

Some features I like about the JBL's compared to the others. The JBL have two poll mounts, rigging points and Crown amps and they're lightweight.

Everyone will have to decide if that's worth an extra $100.

• Members

I would never base a speaker choice based on marketing in general, and definitely not on youtube videos.

Maybe he's in a area where the local music store doesn't have any of them. I know at our local music store mainly carries is Peavey and OSP.

Sure they can order you JBL or EV but they don't have any in stock or on the show room floor. We have Yorkville dealer he's the same way he sells Yorkville but none on the show room floor. Kind of sucks living in a town with music stores that have a limited amount of product brands. It's hours drive to the nearest GC and then we all know how it is shopping at GC. Band whore guys as salesman with very limited knowledge and try to sale all their stuff that doesn't move.

Anyway if I could afford those orange labels that would be my first choice but since I can't I went with EV.

• Members

Maybe he's in a area where the local music store doesn't have any of them. I know at our local music store mainly carries is Peavey and OSP.

Sure they can order you JBL or EV but they don't have any in stock or on the show room floor. We have Yorkville dealer he's the same way he sells Yorkville but none on the show room floor. Kind of sucks living in a town with music stores that have a limited amount of product brands. It's hours drive to the nearest GC and then we all know how it is shopping at GC. Band whore guys as salesman with very limited knowledge and try to sale all their stuff that doesn't move.

Anyway if I could afford those orange labels that would be my first choice but since I can't I went with EV.

I'll bet you anything your audience couldn't tell the difference in sound between any of the speakers in this class.

At NAMM I talked to a guy at Yorkville to see what was new and he was telling me they're trying to break into the West Coast market more.

I have QSC just a couple of miles from where I live and JBL is about 50 miles from me.

A lot of gear is territorial unless you're Fender, Gibson or Martin etc.

• Members

I'll bet you anything your audience couldn't tell the difference in sound between any of the speakers in this class.

At NAMM I talked to a guy at Yorkville to see what was new and he was telling me they're trying to break into the West Coast market more.

I have QSC just a couple of miles from where I live and JBL is about 50 miles from me.

A lot of gear is territorial unless you're Fender, Gibson or Martin etc.

We must be neighbors, QSC is very close. At one time I lived about 1 or 2 miles from QSC.

• Members

I guess I take for granted how close everything is in the northeast. Music stores aren't your only source for speakers though, and might not be the best. If you have a local sound company, chances are they'll be a dealer for whatever brands they use. If they sell retail, they'll probably give you a demo.

• Members

This is the same problem I have in my area (Birmingham, AL). The only store I have that has decent pro level PA stuff is GC. There is a Yorkville dealer about 50 miles away, but doesn't stock much inventory and also doesn't have any comparable lines to boot. I believe the nearest EV dealer is in Atlanta, a 2 1/2 hour drive. For the size city I live in, this really sucks, but that's the way the music scene is right now. I wish I had a good mom & pop store locally that I could rely on. Sadly, I don't.

The reality of the gig situation (at least in my area) makes these lower priced speakers a good marketing strategy for the manufacturers. Most bar bands in my area are lucky to make $100/musician. Many are playing for much less. At these compensation levels, it is wholly unrealistic to expect bands to show up with SRX/QRX type rigs. They simply can't afford them. Many club owners don't give a {censored} anyway. There are more bands than gigs. They can lowball the one's that are desparate for gigs.

• Members

I do not intend on making my buying decision on a video for many reasons.

I do plan on making my decision based on what they sound like and how much they cost, and how much they weigh.

I am concerned about the lower power on the EV sub (700W vs JBL 1000). JBL has a version at this power point, but it isn't nearly as potent from what I heard.

The tops look really interesting ;) I could see the potential for a pair of EV tops over JBL powered subs.

I haven't heard the EV's yet, but I will before I buy.

I have heard the JBL setup and I can tell you that they are fully impressive both in their sound, their price, and their weight.

• Members

Yeah I'm in OC and QSC is in Costa Mesa.

Are you a drummer?

What kind of music do you play?

Yes drums and audio. Style would be rock based. We play mostly in churches. This is why I got into the audio part, so many of the churches had plain ole junk for a PA system.

I too heard the new EV line a namm and Im very impressed esp for the price. EV is going to sell alot of this stuff.

Everything was was about as perfect as could be for a remote demo and probably set up by real engineers, several styles of music was used to show how the speakers performed.

I thought the vocals were very smooth and clear in the 12" box. The sub seemed to perform well too.

• Members

Yes drums and audio. Style would be rock based. We play mostly in churches. This is why I got into the audio part, so many of the churches had plain ole junk for a PA system.

I too heard the new EV line a namm and Im very impressed esp for the price. EV is going to sell alot of this stuff.

Everything was was about as perfect as could be for a remote demo and probably set up by real engineers, several styles of music was used to show how the speakers performed.

I thought the vocals were very smooth and clear in the 12" box. The sub seemed to perform well too.

drumstix, that's awesome. I'm looking for a drummer for my band. I sing lead vocals and play guitar.

• Members

I do not intend on making my buying decision on a video for many reasons.

I do plan on making my decision based on what they sound like and how much they cost, and how much they weigh.

I am concerned about the lower power on the EV sub (700W vs JBL 1000). JBL has a version at this power point, but it isn't nearly as potent from what I heard.

The tops look really interesting
;)
I could see the potential for a pair of EV tops over JBL powered subs.

I haven't heard the EV's yet, but I will before I buy.

I have heard the JBL setup and I can tell you that they are fully impressive both in their sound, their price, and their weight.

If you listen to the first video there is hardly any distortion from the mic on the video camera and is a very good representation of the way the new EV's sound.

In fact, the subs pumped out plenty of bass. You can also really hear the differences between the 12 and 15 inch speakers. The 15's just sound bigger.

• Members

At first, I didn't like the idea of these because I know they're made in China, whereas the other EV stuff is pretty much made in USA. I would get some of these though for Karaoke and to rent out to other DJ's. My other speakers are EV and I want to keep it all in the family.

• Members

I'm getting a chance to listen to some of the EV LiveX speakers tomorrow. I'll make sure to post back for you guys with how it sounds. I'm also pushing to get the rep to leave them with us so I can try them on a couple live gigs this week as monitors.

:cool:

• Members

I saw a post on a DJ forum from an EV rep stating that these shipped on Jan 20th; however, I still don't see these on guitar centers site ..... even as a "not in stock" listing.

They do have most of the other EV powered speakers listed, but In the 2 GC's locally I have visited, I don't remember seeing anything "EV" in the speaker room :(

I am interested in hearing the new EV's since their past speakers have had a reputation for being "smooth" in the vocal range which is something I am very interested in for my tops.

The QSC K12's sounded good alone, but the K-Sub paled beside the PRX612 XLF's. Not sure what QSC was thinking with those ;)

I am a little concerned with the 700W spec on the EV sub compared to the JBL's 1000W. My drummer has a pair of CVA-118's that are also 700W and they are good for a smaller room, but not on the same level as the PRX618 XLF's.

I guess as far as the on-line reviews go, I pretty much need to hear them myself, and/or get opinions from others that are using them and have compared them side by side with the other powered options.

Just out of curiosity, how would you guys expect the new ELX 112P to compare to the venerable SxA360?

• Members

I saw a post on a DJ forum from an EV rep stating that these shipped on Jan 20th; however, I still don't see these on guitar centers site ..... even as a "not in stock" listing.

They do have most of the other EV powered speakers listed, but In the 2 GC's locally I have visited, I don't remember seeing anything "EV" in the speaker room
:(

I am interested in hearing the new EV's since their past speakers have had a reputation for being "smooth" in the vocal range which is something I am very interested in for my tops.

The QSC K12's sounded good alone, but the K-Sub paled beside the PRX612 XLF's. Not sure what QSC was thinking with those
;)

I am a little concerned with the 700W spec on the EV sub compared to the JBL's 1000W. My drummer has a pair of CVA-118's that are also 700W and they are good for a smaller room, but not on the same level as the PRX618 XLF's.

I guess as far as the on-line reviews go, I pretty much need to hear them myself, and/or get opinions from others that are using them and have compared them side by side with the other powered options.

Just out of curiosity, how would you guys expect the new ELX 112P to compare to the venerable SxA360?

Musician's Friend has the entire line of the EV Live X speakers and here they are.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Electro-Voice+ELX

JBL has two subs in the PRX line. One has 600 watts and the extended sub has 1,000 watts.

• Members

Made in China is a showstopper for me unless I have NO other options.

What if you found out parts of your favorite speaker CABS were Made in a foreign country?

Would you sell them and search for a speaker built entirely in the USA?

Archived