Would you get the EV Live X speakers or the JBL PRX Series? - EV videos from NAMM

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"made in china" is a problem for me too. im still going to give them a chance once i can a/b some against some jbl prx's....100 buck difference isnt so bad. of course thats 200 difference for the pair. all this speaker talk has my head spinning
:freak:

The EV 12's have less features and weigh about 9 pounds more per speaker.

The JBL comparable sub has 100 less watts and costs $200 more than the EV sub.

• Members

The EV 12's have less features and weigh about 9 pounds more per speaker.

The JBL comparable sub has 100 less watts and costs $200 more than the EV sub.

How do the EV's have less features? The only ones I noticed were in favor of the EV's (RCA input, 2 channels)

• Members

How do the EV's have less features? The only ones I noticed were in favor of the EV's (RCA input, 2 channels)

That's true the EV's have the RCA's on the back and the JBL's don't.

I don't think the EV's have an angle for the posts, no rigging points and they weigh more.

That's about it and they are a great buy.

I think the JBL's look better.

• Members

"made in china" is a problem for me too. im still going to give them a chance once i can a/b some against some jbl prx's....100 buck difference isnt so bad. of course thats 200 difference for the pair. all this speaker talk has my head spinning
:freak:

And *Made in Mexico* is not a problem??

That is were the JBL PRX series are made, so whats the difference?

• Members

had no idea the jbls are made in mexico. however its closer than china
;)

There's an article on the internet that says Toyota make the most American cars from American parts of any car manufacture.

Where things are made used to be a big issue for me, but I gave up because there are so many cool things I want that aren't made here.

If I was to buy two 12 inch EV Live X cabs and two EV subs I would save $600 compared to the JBL PRX series.

• Members

I don't have an issue with where the EV's are made.

I read somewhere they're made in China, but I'm not sure how much of the product is made there.

Anyone know the break down where the EV's are made?

Got EV plant here st. of AR. but don't know which line they make there.

• CMS Author

There's an article on the internet that says Toyota make the most American cars from American parts of any car manufacture.

Where things are made used to be a big issue for me, but I gave up because there are so many cool things I want that aren't made here.

If I was to buy two 12 inch EV Live X cabs and two EV subs I would save $600 compared to the JBL PRX series.

Well, don't worry. If everyone continues to "give up", you won't have a job either, which renders which speaker to buy a moot point.

• Members

Well, don't worry. If everyone continues to "give up", you won't have a job either, which renders which speaker to buy a moot point.

For the EV's I don't care about the RCA's on the back for an MP3 player, but if I was to buy two 12's and two subs

I would save the cost of one of the 12's compared to the JBL PRX's.

• Members

UPDATE:

Well I got a chance to listen to the 3 powered speakers today in a meeting with the EV rep. I'm impressed. They aren't necessarily light but I had no issue easily carrying the 15 up the stairs into the shop and I'm a pretty little guy, it was definitely a one-handed job. 2The cabs are built well and feel solid (the rep did mention that hitting the price point means they couldn't put in the structure to make them flyable), the controls on the back are laid out well and have all the features I would ever want in a powered speaker realistically.

Both inputs are mic or line level and there is a third volume knob that is essentially the "amp att. knob" so you have complete mix control of the two inputs. There is a switch to turn the built-in crossover on/off and a switch to give it a nice smiley face for playback situations. The 12 and 15 both have really nice high-end, very smooth. The sound is powerful but well balanced to it is firm without being too aggressive/loud. They sound really good. Without the sub neither of them really had any low end punch to them but at the same time it didn't feel like it was lacking anything. Basically if you need subs you need subs but if you are doing playback for an outdoor party, an acoustic gig, a stage monitor or using it in a rehearsal space there was plenty.

Now the sub. It was pretty compact honestly. I think it was about the height of the K sub but more of a cube so you could actually put a speaker pole on it. This one only has a single input meant to take the loop through from your tops. I tried to find the max output but never did get the clip lights to hit on any of the speakers, tons of volume. The sub sounds awesome and really puts out a lot for such a small box, 4 of these would be a killer rig. It amused us a little bit when the sub started walking away on kick hits because it wasn't heavy enough to sit on the smooth concrete without a top placed on it.

MAP for the 12 is $599 and for the 18 is $799 IIRC

• Members

Good to know the subs thump since I have a pair coming to go with my EV 360's but then agian the EV 360's has made me a EV fan boy now so I really wasn't worried about ordering the EV subs without a test drive. Plus I have a few FB friends that siad the same thing about audtioning the new X line. Said they should make my Bosch stock go up in shares.

• CMS Author

For the EV's I don't care about the RCA's on the back for an MP3 player, but if I was to buy two 12's and two subs

I would save the cost of one of the 12's compared to the JBL PRX's.

And it's very likely you would get what you paid for. There are pretty considerable differences between these two speaker lines which justify each line's respective costs. Bi-amplification, DSP, system EQ.

• Members

And it's very likely you would get what you paid for. There are pretty considerable differences between these two speaker lines which justify each line's respective costs. Bi-amplification, DSP, system EQ.

Are you saying the JBL's have better components than the new EV's?

• Members

Both boxes are biamped and eq'd. And I don't really see why whether the processing is dsp or analog is really of any consequence provided either sounds/performs well.

• CMS Author

Both boxes are biamped and eq'd. And I don't really see why whether the processing is dsp or analog is really of any consequence provided either sounds/performs well.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1066

That's not mentioned anywhere in the product description. Maybe they need better marketing people?

I didn't say that DSP is better than analog. I don't see any mention of the functions that are usually handled by DSP in a powered box. Is there dynamic limiting, selectable EQ (for FOH vs. monitor use), component optimization? I don't see anything mentioned about this.

We can also look at the 2dB higher output, the 7lb lighter weight despite the EV having a thinner (18ga) grille than the JBL (16ga) and thinner plywood construction, or that the JBL has M10 and M8 flypoints.

Could be the EV sounds better than any speaker ever made. Won't know until it's available for me to hear.

Archived