Mixer for live surround sound?

• Members

Todd, in a cinema, the primary sound is handled by the LCR screen speakers and the surrounds handle the fx and ambience. I think the OP's question (based on the bands he mentioned) was more of moving the priimary sound around, a different application and less subtle having the surrounds suddenly handle some primary audio routed to them.

I agree that (with experience and understanding) some interesting effects could be developed, I just don't think the OP's goals are practical given the cheap-cheap-cheap nature of the approach and lack of good multi-channel production experience. You and I have the advantage of years of seeing what works and what doesn't, from many different approaches. That's a big, time saving step that gives us a better chance of being successful.

Just my thoughts.

Doing an HBO premiere screening next week, they decided to drop the multi-channel audio in favor of an LT/RT mix because the need to focus on other more important issues with the product. AND, we have multi-channel in-house!!!

They Being who? HBO? That's the difference in markets- probably wouldn't fly here in L.A. Some director's panties would be in a bunch...

But I agree with what you're bring forward here, I'm just of the "Pirate" mentality of doing things for very little cash & putting huge effort into it. I've done both- and the underground type things I do for a hobby demand that low-rent approach. My experience often, as you pointed out, saves me. But if the OP gets discouraged, then he won't push the boundaries of his own creativity; and none of us should step on that too hard... My thoughts being that we (collectively, as a group) tend to put things forward inthe light of being professionals, when this person is clearly along the artist vein.

T

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They Being who? HBO? That's the difference in markets- probably wouldn't fly here in L.A. Some director's panties would be in a bunch...

But I agree with what you're bring forward here, I'm just of the "Pirate" mentality of doing things for very little cash & putting huge effort into it. I've done both- and the underground type things I do for a hobby demand that low-rent approach. My experience often, as you pointed out, saves me. But if the OP gets discouraged, then he won't push the boundaries of his own creativity; and none of us should step on that too hard... My thoughts being that we (collectively, as a group) tend to put things forward inthe light of being professionals, when this person is clearly along the artist vein.

T

They being HBO. I don't know why, but it wasn't a big deal to them. My understanding is that the director will be on site for a talking head appearance plus meet & greet.

Pushing the envelope without having the experience is silly but pushing the envelope to learn and gain the experience is a good way to learn. Often, the most can be learned from mistakes, and IME it's less painful/costly to learn from other people's mistakes. ;)

Experience, as you point out Todd, can make a huige difference in having a good or even reasonable chance for success. Without experience, even the simplest set-ups generally suck pretty big time.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
On 5/2/2020 at 2:05 PM, Cosmic Goo said:

There are many reasons for such complexity. The Grateful Dead created and used it in many live performances. Electronica and visual are perfect for live surround mixing

... and for the rest of the story, it fell out of favor with the Dead too. Just not worth the hassle (with a few notable exception).

(+1 for resurrecting a necrothread from almost 10 years ago)

Archived