playing without a pick? are you?

t_e_l_e

• Members

Charo is seriously good. Her flamenco style put her on the map in Spain. She also won a poll from Guitar Player magazine naming her the Best Flamenco Guitarist of all time two years in a row. Not exactly scientific but enough to let you know she isn't just boobs. She is truly talented but made more money with the personna. She said "The world knows me a guitarist, but in America I am the cuchi cuchi girl. Thats OK. I take it to the bank." or something similar to that.

It is amazing what some people get out of unexpected guitars. Then again, sometimes the guitar is just special. When my cousin had been with Chet a while, Chet took him to a guitar store and said pick any guitar you want as a birthday present from me. Tommy looked at a bunch of several thousand dollar guitars, and wound up with a $99 classic from Japan that he said had "the sound." Chet agreed and they bought it for his albums. I played that guitar and when I did, it was a $99 Japanese guitar. When he played it, it was magic. Thats why he was with Chet and I wasn't.

I do agree they are like two different instruments and I approach them that way without meaning to. I feel accomplished on acoustic and can pretty much play anything I choose to. I am not that way on electric, even though I prefer it. I have an electric style and that is what I can do. I will never play Van Halen. I can play Mark Knopfler but that is because I can use the acoustic skills. I am an OK blues player, more like a Gary Moore than a Steve Vai. Cannot seem to master sweep picking smoothly, and my reflexes simply are not fast enough for shredding. I will never be able to play that style (not that I choose too, but I couldn't if I DID want to.)

BTW, here is a debut video of my cousin I mentioned above, from years ago on TV playing that cheap classic. He was 17 at the time and had been with Chet about 4 years at that point. Yeah, he got all the talent, and I got a rock. He was seriously good. He played until he died unexpectedly at 40 from drinking. (another long story.) There are many more Youtube videos of him playing around Nashville, and the Tommy Emmanuel song "Old Town" was a tribute to him when he died. They were close friends who played together often. Tommy was from Old Town, FL.

We used to stay with him two weeks a year when we were both maybe 7-8 years old. His mom would say Tommy play a song, and he would play Malaguena. Then my dad would say, you play something also. I would get the beginning riff from Secret Agent man. Yea, REAL proud, as I wanted to run hide in the closet.

Please listen and let me know what you think.

Emmanuel's tribute is here.

• Members

BTW, here is a debut video of my cousin I mentioned above, from years ago on TV playing that cheap classic. He was 17 at the time and had been with Chet about 4 years at that point. Yeah, he got all the talent, and I got a rock. He was seriously good. He played until he died unexpectedly at 40 from drinking. (another long story.) There are many more Youtube videos of him playing around Nashville, and the Tommy Emmanuel song "Old Town" was a tribute to him when he died. They were close friends who played together often. Tommy was from Old Town, FL.

We used to stay with him two weeks a year when we were both maybe 7-8 years old. His mom would say Tommy play a song, and he would play Malaguena. Then my dad would say, you play something also. I would get the beginning riff from Secret Agent man. Yea, REAL proud, as I wanted to run hide in the closet.

Please listen and let me know what you think.

Years ago, it may have been "Guitar Player" or one of those mags, that actually polled HCEG EG for the "most underrated guitar players". I was proud that my singular nomination for Charo here got her included in that edition/article.

Tommy sounds amazing. I can hear the Chet Atkins influence, but he had a more energetic approach. I'm sorry for your loss and that of an amazing talent.

I love your story about Malaguena vs Secret Agent Man. I can relate to that in so many ways. :0

But as long as we're in a happy place when we pick up the instrument, that's what counts. smiley-wink

• Members

Depending on the song and which way the wind is blowing I will play in any of these styles:

1. Pick

2. Pick and fingers

3. Fingers

4. Thumb pick and fingers

5. Thumb

This is with electric or acoustic guitars.

My 'go to' preference is thumb only (a la Wes).

I am most comfortable with either thumb or fingers.

Don't like to play with finger nails though, just flesh.

Question was how do you deal with the volume without a pick?

Well style is where it's at.

You won't get too far playing rock without a pick (and so that's when I use a pick).

For jazz it's not a problem because the sound levels are more moderate.

Much talk was about Knopfler.

His style allows him to use his just fingers because when he's playing the band tones down.

• Members

On electric and acoustic guitar, I play with bare-fingers, flat pick, or finger picks. They all work fine. It's mostly just a matter of my mood. Bare fingers don't sound dull unless my playing is dull.

On squareneck, I always use finger picks. On mando, I usually use a flat pick. No bare fingers on either.

On harp, it's bare fingers and bare lips all the way.

Archived