Audio Centron RMA 2000???

• Members

Audio Centron built some amps rated for 2 ohms.

I think there may be power figures screened on the outputs. The minimum load definitely will be.

Very few, though some later versions were beefed up over an earlier version with a 4/8 ohm only rating. All in all not bad amps.

• Members

FYI - The back pannel says:

400 watts per channel @ ? ohms

800 watts @ 8 ohms mono bridge

650 watts per channel @ 2 ohms

1300 watts @ 4 ohms mono bridge

The only prob is that for the first line, there's a scratch where the ohms are and I can't read it. I'm guessing that it's 4 ohms based on the last two lines.

• Members

FYI - The back pannel says:

400 watts per channel @ ? ohms

800 watts @ 8 ohms mono bridge

650 watts per channel @ 2 ohms

1300 watts @ 4 ohms mono bridge

The only prob is that for the first line, there's a scratch where the ohms are and I can't read it. I'm guessing that it's 4 ohms based on the last two lines.

does it look like this one?

2356502840026985969S500x500Q85.jpg

cuz thats what mine says on the back, and its 400@ 4 ohms. not a real powerful amp, but a good 250watt per channel at 8 ohm amp. has limiters too, and they arent awful; just kinda crummy sounding. i've heard worse.

mine is NOT 2ohm capable though, but has the same power rating otherwise. bridgable only to 8 ohms.

• Members

Yep...It even has 2 seperate power cords. I guess there's 2 descreet amps inside. I also have a Crown XS700 (like in the right pic). As soon as I bought the A/C for $75, I got a screaming deal on a Crown XLS 602...$100!!

Anyone want to buy an anchor? :)

• Members

i'm not a big fan of the XLS. i'd be happy with the AC, but i have seen these burn up for no apparent reason. the one in the pic above is doing fine and has never been repaired but i had a different one that literally let the smoke out one day when i powered it up; it was spectacular.

my XS are 900. the pic is old, the racks have changed since then. i went three way and have an 1ru ART amp in the rack on the right.

• CMS Author

What's wrong with the XLS?

IMHO it's not that there's anything *wrong* per-se, but that other amps in the same general price range seem to offer more useful features such as switchable limiting, HPF, and easier bridging. There are also I think three different versions of the XLS that did or didn't support mono-bridged output, and it's sort of hard to tell them apart.

As you got a very good deal, it's all good as long as the amp is in working condition. If you've got outboard processing to handle limiting and HPF, those features would be redundant.

• Members

It looks like I might have confused "Low Pass Filter" with "Limiter.

I was saying that the crossover (Bherringer CX3210) will give it the correct frequencies. I think you guys were talking about clip limiters on the amp itself.

• Members

2356502840026985969S500x500Q85.jpg

cuz thats what mine says on the back, and its 400@ 4 ohms. not a real powerful amp, but a good 250watt per channel at 8 ohm amp. has limiters too, and they arent awful; just kinda crummy sounding. i've heard worse.

mine is NOT 2ohm capable though, but has the same power rating otherwise. bridgable only to 8 ohms.

Hey Coaster, how do you like those Crown Xs amps you got there? What do you drive with those ?

• Members

i like them. i drive a variety of things with them, mostly subs/tops at 8 and 4 ohms. one of the many reasons i bought the VSX is so that i can have presets for each setup rather than re-patching/resetting.

i had to replace a fan in one (fan stopped, would respond to oil but would stop again) and oddly enough the output terminals are flipped on one vs the other. very strange.

look at the output terminals:

2960701080026985969S600x600Q85.jpg

• Members

The reason I asked was because I have two as well, the 1200 and a 500. I picked them up dirt cheap when Crown was phasing them out for the XLS models. So far, so good with mine. I'll have to look at the speaker out binding posts. That is weird how they are reversed. I haven't noticed on mine as I am using the speakon outs. According to Crown's "sales drivel", as aged likes to call it, they claimed the Xs series was superior to old CE series. I dunno about that. How often does the insides need to be cleaned ? I guess that depends on how often they're used and where, heh ?

• Members

they are much lighter/smaller than the CE 1k and 2k and i have never seen an XS burst into flames.

its probably a little past time to clean them but i will do that closer to may - i tend to take them out pre summer season and blow the dust out.

i asked crown about the outputs and they said they changed it like that at some point. yu know, a feature rather than an error. sure crown, uh huh :D probably someone in china made a goof.

Archived