My Easter Sunday Rig

• Members

48ch Midas Verona

2x Meyer MSL4 over 2x Meyer 700HP per side

Meyer UPA's & CQ1's for front & balcony fills, respectively.

Waiting on details of the outboard processing, but it looks like it'll be mostly mid-level Drawmer, DBX, Lexicon, and TC Electronics stuff.

Not the biggest, baddest rig ever, but a significant improvement over what I typically get to use. Even though it's only a one-off, it'll be nice to mix on a decent system for a change. It's been a few years...

-Dan.

• Members

Don't tell me they are going to waste all that good PA gear in a church.
:eek::)

You don't read many of the live/install audio magazines, do you? This is peanuts compared to what some of those guys run. IIRC, the first XL8 in the US went in a church (which could bring up a whole other set of arguments, but let's not get into that).

Fortunately, everyone involved is strongly opposed to the use of v-drums. :thu:

-Dan.

• Members

The church market is probably 10x larger than the touring market. Appears that you can't do God good without the best of everything these days
;)

Oh, it's not just these days. :p What gothic architects lacked in fancy PA gear, they made up for in ornate windows and state-of-the-art engineering. The descriptions of Solomon's temple make Donald Trump's decorating seem downright tasteful.

-Dan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

~900 cap theater rented out for the day, because the usual facility can barely handle the crowd on a normal busy Sunday.

You don't read many of the live/install audio magazines, do you? This is peanuts compared to what some of those guys run. IIRC, the first XL8 in the US went in a church (which could bring up a whole other set of arguments, but let's not get into that).

Fortunately, everyone involved is strongly opposed to the use of v-drums.
:thu:

-Dan.

Just curious but are most of you out there opposed to the use of V-drums? I dont like low end stuff but find the higher end stuff to be pretty decent sounding. (TD-20 with expansion card). Thoughts?

• Members

Appears that you can't do God good without the best of everything these days
;)

Not to hijack the thread, but thats why I like my church. Building is over 150 years old. It is a small wood frame building that has no foundation. It sits on the original 4 tree stumps used to support the corners. 10 years ago we got rid of the pot bellied stove for heat, and finally added some AC but thats about as posh as we get. When I joined, they had the dreaded Kustom 4 channel 60 watt mixer with 10's and piezos. I donated some old gear I had that thrilled them. A Mixwiz and a pair of JBL Eon 10's. This church is not in the woods somewhere, it is in the middle of an upscale county filled with doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. Very white collar. We just decided as a church that we wouldn't waste our money on us. We have some of the highest per capita giving in the state, donate to every needy family we hear of, and support the foodbank. I don't understand spending the money on pipe organs, stained glass, and Midas consoles.

Sorry for the interlude, but I couldn't let it go. It is a sore spot with me. Sorry if I offended anyone here.

• Members

Just curious but are most of you out there opposed to the use of V-drums? I dont like low end stuff but find the higher end stuff to be pretty decent sounding. (TD-20 with expansion card). Thoughts?

OTcontinued: As long as you use the direct outs feeding my mixer with unprocessed dry signal kit pieces not a prob with me. You can still keep your favorite headphone kit but I don't want it in my FOH mix that's why I like the dry unprocessed signals from the 8 direct outs so I can have control of the drum mix and not you that way you can just drum and not worry about altering your favorite kit if I mixing you in the cave. Roland use a dial down method and some of the factory kits need to be dialed almost completely off because their so heavy processed.

• Members

I really really hate v-Drums, but I just listened to the TD20 demo and I was surprised at how decent they sounded. The ride and the snare sounded pretty good, the kick and other cymbals were ok, but the toms still sounded really fake.

To be honest, though, if SPL and bleed are concerns, I'd rather see the drummer play hand percussion than an electronic kit.

-Dan.

• Members

Not to hijack the thread, but thats why I like my church. Building is over 150 years old. It is a small wood frame building that has no foundation. It sits on the original 4 tree stumps used to support the corners. 10 years ago we got rid of the pot bellied stove for heat, and finally added some AC but thats about as posh as we get. When I joined, they had the dreaded Kustom 4 channel 60 watt mixer with 10's and piezos. I donated some old gear I had that thrilled them. A Mixwiz and a pair of JBL Eon 10's. This church is not in the woods somewhere, it is in the middle of an upscale county filled with doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. Very white collar. We just decided as a church that we wouldn't waste our money on us. We have some of the highest per capita giving in the state, donate to every needy family we hear of, and support the foodbank. I don't understand spending the money on pipe organs, stained glass, and Midas consoles.

Sorry for the interlude, but I couldn't let it go. It is a sore spot with me. Sorry if I offended anyone here.

No offense taken here. Not one bit.

• Members

Wow. 11 k for 1 speaker. Wow.

I guess that tells you what a bottom feeder I am.

I'm thinking of upgrading, and I'm concerned because what I want to buy is nearly 2 k a speaker.

So I guess the big question is, is an 11 k$ speaker nearly 6 times better than a 2 k$ speaker?

Or is this more that you can buy a lamborgini to drive to church, but you can only go 50 miles an hour like all the other cars...........you just look good doing it!

• Members

I really really hate v-Drums, but I just listened to the TD20 demo and I was surprised at how decent they sounded. The ride and the snare sounded pretty good, the kick and other cymbals were ok, but the toms still sounded really fake.

To be honest, though, if SPL and bleed are concerns, I'd rather see the drummer play hand percussion than an electronic kit.

-Dan.

Guess you never ran across a e-drummer with this type of set up only difference is you use the outputs from the interface to set up individual kit pieces.

[video=youtube;Ny3enUMgip4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny3enUMgip4&feature=related

I won't argue that none of this e-kit stuff will beat a real set of drums but what I run across from time to time. That some drummers can't afford high quality drums and cymbals so they buy budget drum kit along with budget tin cymbals :mad: okay maybe not all tin but tin with brass coating to give the appearance it's made from brass. Not to mention the god awful tuning if they even tune their kit.

Sometimes it just way easier to slap my triggers feeding my TD6 and call it good then it is trying to polish a drum kit turd.

• Members

Guess you never ran across a e-drummer with this type of set up only difference is you use the outputs from the interface to set up individual kit pieces.

I won't argue that none of this e-kit stuff will beat a real set of drums but what I run across from time to time. That some drummers can't afford high quality drums and cymbals so they buy budget drum kit along with budget tin cymbals
:mad:
okay maybe not all tin but tin with brass coating to give the appearance it's made from brass. Not to mention the god awful tuning if they even tune their kit.

Sometimes it just way easier to slap my triggers feeding my TD6 and call it good then it is trying to polish a drum kit turd.

I haven't seen one, but I've read about guys on PSW doing that. As I was writing my earlier post, I was actually thinking of that kind of setup being a caveat to what I was saying, but I didn't bother to go into it. I would be totally cool with a rig like that, provided the computer system was rock solid and the latency minimal.

-Dan.

• Members

I won't argue that none of this e-kit stuff will beat a real set of drums but what I run across from time to time. That some drummers can't afford high quality drums and cymbals so they buy budget drum kit along with budget tin cymbals
:mad:
okay maybe not all tin but tin with brass coating to give the appearance it's made from brass. Not to mention the god awful tuning if they even tune their kit.

This kind of bothers me. On the one hand as an audience member I would probably appreciate listening to better drum sounds during the performance. But on the other hand you are now basically lip syncing for this player without their or my approval. If I wanted to see a fake show I'd be at a Lady Gaga concert. And what about the bands right to suck out loud and my right to know they suck out loud? Odds are a drummer that has a crap kit is also a crap player so I probably will figure it out anyway, but this ever increasing drive to hide reality bothers me....

Now if the band hires you to auto tune, play tracks or do anything you can to cover for their lack of skill, have at if you like. But as far as the general sound provider role goes, I'm on the side of a little judicious fx and gates, but otherwise make them sound like what they truly sound like warts and all. Maybe they like the sound of a crappy drummer, it worked for the White Stripes.

Winston

• Members

This kind of bothers me. On the one hand as an audience member I would probably appreciate listening to better drum sounds during the performance. But on the other hand you are now basically lip syncing for this player without their or my approval. If I wanted to see a fake show I'd be at a Lady Gaga concert. And what about the bands right to suck out loud and my right to know they suck out loud? Odds are a drummer that has a crap kit is also a crap player so I probably will figure it out anyway, but this ever increasing drive to hide reality bothers me....

Now if the band hires you to auto tune, play tracks or do anything you can to cover for their lack of skill, have at if you like. But as far as the general sound provider role goes, I'm on the side of a little judicious fx and gates, but otherwise make them sound like what they truly sound like warts and all. Maybe they like the sound of a crappy drummer, it worked for the White Stripes.

Winston

Yea I understand it's a sims type of deal like when the sims data link broke at the super bowl half time and you heard how they really sound. They sucked

Like I posted earlier this stuff won't replace the real deal. I'm working on a recording side project with another band and the drummer has a set of DW custom with real black beauty snare and high end Sabine and Zildjian cymbals and the kit just sounds amazing.

• Members

Winston

Yeah, this makes the drums themselves sound great, but it does nothing for the performance. If I sat down at this kit, nobody would think I'm anything other than a completely inept drummer sitting at a decent-sounding kit. I see this more like a keyboard player having a bunch of synths at his disposal: nobody thinks any less of him for having an instrument that can produce or at the push of a button. That's all this drummer is doing.

ETA: It's also no different than using an amp modeler.

-Dan.

Archived