Reasonable deal on PRX 612M's?

• Members

A big dealer was running an ebay ad for B-stock PRX612M's at 589/box. I offered 555/box, they countered with 569/box and I went for it and paid immediately.

A while later I got an email from them saying they had a special on new A-stocks for 29 more per box, or basically 598 each. I think that's a good deal and plan to do it unless someone advises otherwise. Certainly seems like a better value that the 499/box molded cabs that have been mentioned here a lot recently.

• Members

Even if another box at that price is a bit better or a lesser priced one just as good the HUGE resale value and snob appeal of the JBL logo makes it hard to justify buying anything else.

The major thing I dislike about the RCF's is that they aren't class "D" - I really dig the lower weight and power consumption of the new class "D" boxes :love:.

• Members

Every "B" stock item I've ever bid on from that New Jersey company has come with a counteroffer for the upsell to the "A" stock. Honestly I really don't think they actually have B-stock, I think it's just their special way of getting around the MAP. Seems shady after you get the same, identically worded counteroffer each and every time...but I figure, if I'm getting a new item at a great price, what do I care. The items for which I've gone through with the upsell have all appeared to be new and unopened.

• Members

No, they're fine speakers. But around these parts at my level and a couple notches above that orange logo is a definite plus in getting work. I suspect at your level it doesn't matter much if at all?

If that's the case, too bad, but it's not a reason to avoid an otherwise good speaker IMO.

• Members

Okay, this is getting more interesting...

I decided to send back the EV sub I recently bought and get a JBL PRX618S sub. Via ebay I see two dealer ads for Used versions, one from the dealer I used for the tops. Their BIN price is 809 for an "open box customer teturn."

I contacted the dealer via reply to an email they'd sent me on the tops. I asked for a good price on a PRX618S either new or used. The reply I got was that they only had new ones and could send me one for 859.

Wanna bet if I hit that 809 BIN on the ebay ad I will get an offer for a brand new one at only 50 more? And if so, I wonder what they'd ship if I said no? :)

• Members

FWIW I decided to play their game by making an offer 50 below the BIN. I figure they'll counter in the middle.

Meanwhile I contacted a second dealer who has the same "Used" item listed at 819 BIN. I asked for specifics on condition. The reply was that they were store display models, but that have run out of those and will honor the same price on a new item. :D

I have to assume that Harmon Intl has given its tacit endorsement to these practices. Otherwise it would be way too easy to stop it.

• Members

You know, I never even fired it up. It felt "low rent" from the get go, and it had a dented grill to boot (it was sold as used merch, so it wasn't going to be perfect, but still it looked a little rough). But the main thing is trying to get a match between the tops and the sub. I could have used the EV sub with the JBL tops but I always would have wondered if I would be happier with the JBL sub. Also easier to sell a matching group if necessary.

The used EV sub was $599+$50 shipping. I'll get a full refund minus my cost to ship it back (probably $60-70 bucks). The JBL sub will be brand new at $819 shipped. I think I will be happy I spent the extra $200-220.

• CMS Author

All this bull{censored} is why I'm quite happy to walk into a local shop and pay for what is actually under their roof and for sale. Yes, it is *sometimes* more expensive (I usually bargain pretty well) but I really don't like feeling as if I'm buying from a used-car salesman with a plaid suite, fedora and cigar stub.

It's not perfect all the time either, but at least I know that when I pays my money, I gets what I'm buying....

• Members

All this bull{censored} is why I'm quite happy to walk into a local shop and pay for what is actually under their roof and for sale. Yes, it is *sometimes* more expensive (I usually bargain pretty well) but I really don't like feeling as if I'm buying from a used-car salesman with a plaid suite, fedora and cigar stub.

It's not perfect all the time either, but at least I know that when I pays my money, I gets what I'm buying....

And it helps keep your local shop available to you too! I'm lucky to have two non GC suppliers available to me and both usually quote me pretty much exactly the same price as what I'm finding online. Sure, I could probably find it for a couple percent less online if I beat the bushes, and they would probably even cave a bit more on price if I beat them over the head on price too. But I know how hard it is to make an honest living as a small business owner so I do my part and pay a fair price happy to know they are right around the corner to help me if I have a problem or need some thing in a hurry.

My friends that constantly search high and low for the lowest price on everything also complain about those nasty corporations shipping all the jobs over seas and then look at me funny when I say "well DUY". Know body likes paying more for anything, but two main ways we keep lowering the price of this stuff is through technology and by taking advantage of someone in the chain and technology only goes so far....

Winston

• Members

I can see both points. I suppport local merchants who provide unique special products or value-added personal services. For example, I will support a local restaurant or coffee shop over a chain every time. And after trading guitars via UPS for the last year, I've decided that I' not going to buy another one "on spec" again. I want to lay my hands on it and see if there's a connection.

OTOH when it comes to commodity items, I'm going with low price every time. I don't know that there's a BAM music store anywhere that would match the prices I got on this gear. It wouldn't be a good business model, as most store owners will tell you. The local shops here sell very little PA Gear.

Archived