Best amp around $100?

smathis

• Members
Congratulations and Happy New Amp Day. The Rhythm Master is indeed 210 WRMS SS and old Peavey gear is built to last forever. It's also a long way from the small battery powered amp you were originally looking for. ;) You should get very loud clean tones. Drive on SS amps doesn't get much praise and especially not on older amps but you can always use pedals. It only has one power amp in addition to having one speaker so no' date=' you can't get ''stereo'' but you can mix the left and right signals of your effects pedal as you've discovered. BTW, is one signal significantly louder than the other or did you have to dime channel 2 to get the two to ''sound different''? 9 O'Clock to max is a big difference in gain.[/quote']

Thank you. It is built like a tank, I'm pretty sure it weighs like 70 or 80 lb, but I'm cool with that. Like I said, the price was right.

I'm not really sure why, all I know is that when I have channel one at about 2, I don't hear any difference at all unless I turn up Channel 2 all the way to almost Max. I actually have a 4-channel Peavey head unit with two vintage Sunn cabinets (they are massive), but I don't have room for them in my house. I know I could probably achieve a stereo effect with that, since there are two separate speakers, though.

• Members
Thank you. It is built like a tank, I'm pretty sure it weighs like 70 or 80 lb, but I'm cool with that. Like I said, the price was right.

I'm not really sure why, all I know is that when I have channel one at about 2, I don't hear any difference at all unless I turn up Channel 2 all the way to almost Max. I actually have a 4-channel Peavey head unit with two vintage Sunn cabinets (they are massive), but I don't have room for them in my house. I know I could probably achieve a stereo effect with that, since there are two separate speakers, though.

Okay, first does channel 1 by itself sound different from channel 2 by itself? My guess (and that's all it is) is that the ''different'' signal needs to be loud enough that you can hear it as distinct. Second, no, you wouldn't have ''stereo'' unless you had two power amps or a power amp with two channels. If you don't it doesn't matter how many speakers or channels you have. You need two discreet channels from source to output.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Those amps were a general purpose design with 4 identical channels. You could amplify 4 people in a practice session, A keyboard player could plug in multiple keyboards, or a single player could plug in a keyboard and guitar and switch between them while also feeding a mic.

Its really up to you on how you choose to use it in this case.

The amps were typically favored by Pedal Steel players who wanted that clean country sound. Having the extra channels comes in handy if that pedal steel player also switches to other instruments. For electric guitar, you'll likely need some pedals to get some decent drive tones. The manual says you can also loop effects through the first two channels which is handy for time based effects like Echo/Reverb.

Peavey amps aren't bad on cleans. About the only weakness they have is you want to be sure to always run them with the proper impedance, and change the power caps every 10 years. The power caps they use are bargain basement stuff and when they get old they'll short out and take the entire power amp with them.

I have a question about it, though. The amp is one of those that is actually set up for multiple instruments to go into it. It has four channels, and a 3-band EQ for each channel. I was wondering, since my effects pedal has left and right outputs for stereo, could I plug the left and right outputs from the pedal into two different channels of the amplifier to create a stereo effect? The amp only has one speaker, so I'm not sure how that would work.

There would be no advantage to plugging in the two (stereo) outputs of your pedals into different channels of the Peavey Rhythm Master 400 since all of the channels feed a single monophonic amplifier and speaker. You'd need a second amplifier in order to hear the stereo effects that your pedals can provide.

• Members
There would be no advantage to plugging in the two (stereo) outputs of your pedals into different channels of the Peavey Rhythm Master 400 since all of the channels feed a single monophonic amplifier and speaker. You'd need a second amplifier in order to hear the stereo effects that your pedals can provide.

That's pretty much what I told the OP almost a year ago. The OP hasn't even posted in this thread since then. Someone apparently resurrected the thread.

Archived