Poweramp for subs for $2500-$3000

• Members

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but, is it possible to get two power amps that put out 3000W per channel at 2 ohms each with a budget of $2500-$3000 for both? Doesn't matter if they are older ones, just reliable.

• Members

what are you trying to drive at 2 ohms? There are alot of negatives with this setup. You would probably be better off with more amps at a 4 ohm load.

I think a better question is: what are you trying to drive with that much power?

• Members

No way are those "pro" subs and they can only take about 1/2 the power of a "pro" one. You should really sell those and buy 4 decent ones that would have the same total output. SRX728S's maybe?

I'd not use anything bigger than an IPR3000 on those Yamaha's, one per channel.

• Members

They are the Yamaha SW218V subs, 4 ohm boxes. If we went to a 4 ohm load, what amps would be adequate for this? Going this route, we would have 4 amps powering 8 subs.

750 watts per driver is way too much power for those drivers. 400-500 watts per driver (no more than 2000 watts per channel at 2 ohms) is a MUCH better match.

I have reconed many of these drivers and they are not all that robust. In fact, if you are not using correct HPF's, 350 watts/driver is all I would consider.

• Members

QSC GX7 or Crown XTI2000

I would only put 800W to 1000W max into those subs. I ran a pair at one point of an XTI2000 with great results. But RoadRanger is correct about better options out there. The JBL SRX are great but really like power before they come alive. There are many good pro subs that are really efficient that will compare to the JBL's without the need for giant power amps.

• Members
M-Pro 418 and others.

IME any speaker with "pro" in it's name isn't :lol:. But yes, that one is an exception to both rules. By "pro" I meant 500wrms+ drivers with 4+ inch voice coils. I do own four 4 ohm subs I'd consider "pro" but they are all odd ducks with non-standard drivers. The Yamaha's in question have 3 inch voice coils rated at 300wrms. I've put 500w into similar drivers before but with full realization that they were not going to last long at that power. I'd NEVER put 750w into such a driver and expect the suspension to not quickly fatigue.

• Members

What are some other options?

EV QRx218S, EV PX2181, Community VLF218, Community TLF218, Danley TH115, Danley TH118, QSC GP218-sw

I know not all these are in the SRX728S Price range but they are all good subs. And I'm sure others could add alot more to this list.

• Members

On another note, Is there any drivers out there that work well in the Yamaha box that would allow davis25 to get more out of his 4 current subs instead of hauling 8 or spending alot of money on new subs?

Archived