Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Dead!

RaVenCAD

• Members

If it isn't the fuse (left bottom when you remove the rear panel), check the white block grid resistors, they will have darkened the PCB a bit, but shouldn't be too baked, and then check the coupling caps for leakage. They should not have any material trying to get out where the leads are coming in.

• Members

For working on amps. I usually drain the caps by touching the leads with an insulated handle screwdriver with shaft touching the metal amp chassis at the same time. Hopefully, this won't kill me...

I found that the best way to discharge the power supply is by grounding pin 1 of V1 with a jumper cable (with the power disconnected from the amplifier of course). This drains the charge from the filter capacitors through a few resistors - which is a more gentle approach.

• Members

The inverter tube did the trick! My Hot Rod rides again.. Still confused why my power tubes would test bad if it wasn't related to them. Maybe they were just old and worn out anyway? That's how I'm rationalizing spending $65 I probably didn't need to spend.

• Members

Great news.

Thinking the problem through and working from the most likely to the least likely is always the best path to take when troubleshooting. It usually saves time and money.

You always want to consider why this happened to begin with so you aren't destined to repeat the same problem again.

Blown power tubes and inverters usually spells two possibilities besides it just being a freak occurrence, of premature failure which are actually are very rare. The first is you used the tubes for far too long. I'd cut the time you went with the current set of tubes in half.

Combo's typically get half the life or less then a separate head because of vibration. The tubes literally vibrate themselves to death long before they cook themselves. They normally become microphonic and you can actually hear either odd ringing or static before they short. If you got two years out of the tubes, change them at half life. Tubes are cheap and easy to replace.

The other possibility would be your speaker impedance is too high. If you use an extension speaker make sure its within the limits of the amp. I believe the amp runs at 8 ohms and can run a 4 ohm minimum with an 8 ohm extension in parallel. If you don't use the internal speaker and use a 16 ohm cab (or the internal speaker was swapped for a 16 ohm) its will cook the power tubes in a short time.

I suspect its just the age of the tubes vs the vibration in your case.

• Members

Well, I bought this amp used, so I have no idea how many hours it had on it. I know I've put less than 20 on it personally. He could have used it for months or even years. It had a ringing in it since the day I got it. It's gone now, and yes I turned it all the way up to see if it was there. That's damn brutal with a Hot Rod! It's running the stock speaker and no cabinet, so that wouldn't be in. I'm thinking it was just old and needed new tubes. I'll probably go ahead and replace the two preamp tubes as well, just to have it done with.

• Members

I used a common 12AX7 / ECC83 and I dig the sound I'm getting. I'm not much of a tweaker when it comes to the tubes. As long as I can get a smooth, creamy clean tone, I'm a happy guy. Then I add the dirt with my pedals. I do intend to swap the first tube in the preamp with a 12AT7 though. Sposta be a magic bullet for controlling the volume and headroom for the Hot Rod.

Archived