Looking for opinions - personal monitor setup

• Members
Are you planning to use a splitter of some sort ?

I would recommend a Yamaha mixer over the Behringer.

Does Yamaha make a small rack-mount mixer? I get what you're saying about "Brand B"; I was just looking at that particular series because it has the feature mix I am looking for. If there's a better option, I would love to look at it.

• Members
Does Yamaha make a small rack-mount mixer? I get what you're saying about "Brand B"; I was just looking at that particular series because it has the feature mix I am looking for. If there's a better option' date=' I would love to look at it.[/quote']

Yes, there are some 2-space analog and digital mixers available from Yamaha.

The MV800 comes to mind. It's not cheap.

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/gear-...nt-mixer/25493

• Members

It sounds to me like perhaps the best investment you could make is to hire a dedicated sound engineer, who can work with you at rehearsals, learn your material as well as any band member, and work with the house engineer at gigs. There's a reason why Major Acts do this.

• Members

I like the concept. I am less sold on the implementation, but that is your choice to make based on your resources and past experience. I have worked with people that could and couldn't pull it off. Anyway, don't skimp on gear. Good sound starts at the first transducer, usually the mic. In this situation, a low end board will always have you sounding like a low end board. This is where it gets to the bad part of the discussion. By the time you invest in what would be good enough, appropriate, non-limiting gear, you will have spent a LOT of money. I have a friend that does solo work. He carries a nice system for solo. Two racks of Crown amps, Yorkville TX2 tops over EAW subs. Two of each cab per side. He uses a bass foot pedal (like an organ has but much smaller) while he plays acoustic and sings. He has a great set of in-ears, and an 18 space race filled with FX and processing, all driven by a nice Ashley MX508 rack mount mixer (although it is a three rack unit piece.) He sounds amazing. He also spent a boatload of money. The Ashley alone was $1500 new, maybe better on used from eBay. The bottom line is that a good amp, good speaker/s, a nice mixer, quality cables, etc will set you back a lot more than you probably anticipated. Doing it for less might be done, for substantially less I think it is risky. You want speakers that are accurate, and the mixer will define you sound both on stage and in FOH. It it fails, you are hurting. If it sux, it might be better off failing.

I worked with a touring band as a one nighter. Lead singer showed up with a similar arrangement, plus all of his effects. His mic went straight to HIS rig, and then output to my snake. I was not thrilled, but it was his dime. He was incredible and I had zero complaints once he started, but it was unnerving at first. You will not be loved by all sound guys, just some. Also, if you move up the food chain you may find that the investment was better spent on an amp or guitar than on gear you have outgrown via success.

Good luck. Buy once, cry once. Don't let a rack that cost a few hundred be the limiting factor to this venture.

Archived