Here's one for the engineers

• Members

Say my keyboard player gives me a 1/4" feed from his Yamaha keyboard, and I plug it into a powered speaker with a 1/4 input to serve as his monitor. If I take the XLR out of the powered speaker to feed the PA, have I essentially performed the same function as a DI box as far as the signal into the mixer goes?

• Members

It can work, one thing to watch for is hum/buzz and if the speaker will tolerate phantom power. The better method is a DI between the mixer and powered speaker.

Yep. I keep getting keyboard players that want to send me signal from their powered monitor speakers. For the sake of argument I've tried it a few times. Hums, pops (when powereing on/off) and the potential for phantom power damage put a quick end to my experiments.

As AH said, many internal routing possibilities with powered speakers, so possibly YMMV, but if you've got a DI I think you would be happier using it.

• Members

I keep getting keyboard players that want to send me signal from their powered monitor speakers.

yeah WTF is with that. i got one idiot who insists i take his signal post eon, he even demanded and threw a pouty hissy fit when i did it the right way at first. it sounded like crap his way, and as he stated to me he wanted to have control over the tone or some such.

i hope he reads this, prints it out and shows it to everyone.

i play keys in a band, i run straight to the board and use a wedge.

• Members

have I essentially performed the same function as a DI box as far as the signal into the mixer goes?

It depends on what you think the function of a DI is. You likely have lowered the impedance and possibly now have a balanced signal. If you are looking for direct electrical isolation (as you would get with a transformer style DI) you probably have not.

That said ... I'd use a DI.

• Members

Just a note that the Hartke Kickback has a built in xlr DI that bypasses all the tone and volume controls on the amp. (Just wish the amp sounded better with a keyboard.) It's the only amp that I own that works that way. (I have another Hartke that doesn't work that way.)

• Members

Wouldn't it be nice if powered speakers had a DI'd out. With few exceptions they sound better than most of the keyboard amps out there. The traynor K4 keyboard amp sounds great and has DI'd stereo outs, but most keyboard players balk at the $1000 price.

• Members

Wouldn't it be nice if powered speakers had a DI'd out. With few exceptions they sound better than most of the keyboard amps out there. The traynor K4 keyboard amp sounds great and has DI'd stereo outs, but most keyboard players balk at the $1000 price.

Because that's a VERY small market compared with the PA market, and a regular DI would work just as well if not better.

• Members

I always split off the keyboard before any powered speaker ifthats the rig they have. Eliminates all kinds of possible scenarios.

I tend to do this with bass as well (there are exceptions). Some amps have a "pre" XLR out but I still often get hum and other artifacts so If I can, I do.

To the OP. Yes I've had folks that say they must send me a submix or post "something". If there's specialized FX involved then I understand (like guitar) but in most cases, I'd rather have the raw untreated signal (Oops I almost said sewage - I guess that would depend on the player :-).

Archived