NAMM Videos

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elixir's strings have been really popular with acoustic players, and while they've made electric strings for some time, they've recently put a ton of research into finding out what electric players want - and apparently we want long life along with the feel and sound of uncoated strings. Hey, I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty good to me!

Their Optiweb strings are designed to give us exactly that. They've also got a cool website app that allows you to directly compare the sound of regular strings to the Optiwebs, with both recordings done using the exact same guitar and rig. You can switch back and forth between them instantly, and even strum and play individual strings for your comparisons.

[video=youtube;DRS15bYB3Mk]

Paul Reed Smith's big news at this year's NAMM Show was in amplifiers - they've released a new line called the Sonzera Series amplifiers, as well as a John Mayer J-Mod 100 100W signature amp. The Sonzera series is available in a 1x12 20W combo with a pair of 6L6 tubes, while the 50W head and combo Sonzeras are running EL34s.

[video=youtube;IUF8A-JRS58]

Meanwhile over at the Korg booth they were showing off the new Krome Platinum...

[video=youtube;kaKrrOoxaPU]

Korg also released a limited edition ARP Odyssey FS, which features a full-sized keyboard and all three of the classic ARP Odyssey filter designs.

[video=youtube;6V9_DOQhpLE]

They also had the new Monologue analog synth on display… at $299 "street", I suspect they're going to be extremely popular.

[video=youtube;IM-hJOyA8dc]

Archived