Sign in to follow this  
Phil O'Keefe

NAMM Videos

Over at Vox I got the details on the new teeny-tiny MV50 50W micro heads as well as the BC108 and BC112 cabinets.

[video=youtube;D2vaYP6Pft4]

Looking for something a little more high-end? Check out the limited run of 60th Anniversary Handwired Vox AC15 and AC30 amplifiers - these are based on amps from 1957 and 1964, respectively.

[video=youtube;KAd4p8Tm1CY]

One of the things I tried to do a few times was to capture the thoughts of various people regarding the vibe of the show this year, and the reports were uniformly positive in nature. Here's Hillary Money over at the Blue Microphones booth sharing her impressions of this year's NAMM Show.

[video=youtube;uMN6yc54-8k]

If the Handwired Vox AC15 and AC30 amps are too expensive (or too hard to find - they're only making 150 of each), there's always the Vox Custom Classic line, which features a few changes (such as the white vinyl and Celestion Creamback speakers) for the 2017 model year.

[video=youtube;phOOfx_XBII]

This year was a very "up" year at Winter NAMM and while there was a bunch of cool and interesting products released, Warm Audio had a pair of showstoppers with the introduction of the WA-87 multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone (based on the classic U87) and the announcement that the WA-412 four channel mic preamp (based on the classic 312) is now shipping. The startling part? The price. The WA-87 will "street" at $599, while the WA-412 is going for $1,199. That's incredible value!

[video=youtube;fw3mCAaioLI]

Here's Grammy award winning producer/engineer (and Harmony Central moderator) Anton Pukshansky jamming at the Antelope Audio booth.

[video=youtube;XeMRny6-Qs8]

\

Speaking of Blue, they've updated their Essentials series; several of the microphones in that line have new features. First up, the Baby Bottle SL.

[video=youtube;rYDuRhrQdOs]

Hillary wasn't just making up the bit about my comments - I've recommended the Baby Bottle to multiple singers who I've worked with who were looking for something suitable for their own use on their vocals in their home studios. Given the right singer, it's an excellent vocal mic… and with the new pad and HPF switches, it's even more capable.

Blue's most popular model, the Bluebird, has also been updated and is now called the Bluebird SL.

[video=youtube;ACZZcUmVe74]

Finally, Blue's Spark has also been updated with new pad and high pass filter switches and a new paint job, and is now known as the Blue Spark SL.

[video=youtube;CoCrTJGkH_E]

While originally known for their microphones, Blue has also been making some innovative headphones over the past few years. You may have seen my Blue Lola and my Mo-Fi headphone reviews… well Blue has announced two new models named Sadie and Ella. Sadie is a dynamic headphone with 50mm drivers and an onboard amp - similar to a Mofi that has been put on a diet and lost some weight - while Ella is a new high-end planar magnetic headphone with exceptional accuracy.

[video=youtube;i1hit0yHTf8]

Next up we have some videos that Dendy shot, starting with the new Ovation Glen Campbell US model. Glen was one of the earliest Ovation endorsers back when they started, and Ovation (in cooperation with Glen's family) have reproduced the classic model Glen used.

[video=youtube;-OIKM2tY3bM]

Dendy also got the scoop on Ovation's Exotic Top models… they're not fake or photographs - they're real wood layered over solid spruce.

[video=youtube;GsfnAN2-8Mk]

6 string acoustics are so passé - so Ovation has introduced an 8 string round back model.

[video=youtube;zJDBNuKgqjM]

Dendy also stopped by the Gibraltar booth and got the details on what's new with them, including their new height-adjustable rack.

[video=youtube;yq8PG165jfo]

And here are the details on the Gibraltar GCH200 Height-Adjustable Universal Rack. Don't assume it's just for drummers - DJs and keyboard players will also find it useful for their rigs too.

[video=youtube;p-GHj2cG9Mc]

Speaking of DJs, Gibraltar DJ also was showing off their GRSDJ1, which is perfect for DJs who use both a controller and a laptop.

[video=youtube;qLzINH6LXq8]

And finally, Gibraltar was also displaying their SCHRE Height-Adjustable Rack Extension Pack. What's it do? Click the video for the details!

[video=youtube;43uWYDIXpWw]

And on to Mapex!

[video=youtube;tFzjbVO7jXc]

[video=youtube;RtMeST6ccIY]

[video=youtube;OP61aMQR2Ug]

[video=youtube;GBPqOdMAyrg]

Michael Kelly always has something interesting to show at NAMM!

[video=youtube;TkTYdg-KOK4]

[video=youtube;39P28kTAA9c]

[video=youtube;SM_GwVNCOAo]

Sign in to follow this