NGD Luna Vista Eagle

katopp

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31903878[/ATTACH]

[uSER=37202]Freeman Keller[/uSER] I have one of these, too. Spalted Maple as you can see, but mine is even more spalted. Sure it is all lam. But it ain't too bad, not as bad as the Luna, that is....

• Members

This may well be the case but I've also found that guitars that are made to look cool (the Ibanez Exotic Wood series, for example) don't often have great unplugged sound. As for the laminated construction, solid koa is apparently not cheap. Takamine sells the EF508KC for $1400 and it's all laminated: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...92702&device=c. Quite pretty but $1400 for laminated wood?

Anyway, Happy New Guitar Day. Keep us posted about your progress finding the right strings.

Koa is highly sought and high-priced | Woodshop News

The last paragraph prices guitar sets anywhere from $150-400.00.

I'm not a fan of highly figured woods for the plates and sides. I do like it used for bindings, though.

• Members

Binh built me some koa guitars. One all-koa (solid top, back, sides) and it is the best mix of spruce, hog and rosewood as you can image and two with koa back and sides. I also have a Gretsch with Koa b/s.

From my experience the figured stuff sounds as good as the plain when it comes to b/s and for the top the absolutely out-of-your-mind figured stuff sounds worse than the rest, but for what you can usually get, it does not make a difference. Pick what you like.

Koa has become pricey - at least when it comes to retail prices. Dunno if it is just because ppl ask for it or because of lack of supply.

• Members

I've used koa for three guitars - two because of tradition (they are Hawaiian weissenborns) and one because I wanted the most stunning wood I could find for a totally over the top guitar\

IMG_0667.jpg

Tricone_3.jpg

The wood for the Weissies was about $300 for the set (includes top) and the other one was over $500. Yes it is expensive.

I've never played a koa guitar side by side with an identical one made out of other materials - the common lore is that for backs and sides its somewhere between mahogany and rosewood, for tops much like mahogany. Usually it is chosen for its looks (and of course it is traditional for ukes.

As far a laminated koa back and sides - I would expect it to look like koa and sound like any other laminated back and sides.

• Members

So Luna Guitars got back to me.

Stating that it is a solid top.

The marquetry - they say - is made of solid wood.

And it is placed on top of solid sitka spruce - they say.

Which - in my book - makes it a lam, or at least a hybrid.

The biggest joke is calling the paper thin veneer "solid wood".

The second joke is the quality of the sitka. I could make out knots in the top....

Archived