QSC GX5 VS THE EV Q66

• Members

I am building a new system and need some feed back. I was steering toward the qsc gx5 until I read some {censored}ty reviews on it. I talked to a friend who runs sound for the greater part of S.Florida and he is also an ev rep.. He suggested the EV Q66 11 .. I presently use powered speakers (jbl prx 512's). I am sick of the hiss on the top end. I have a simple set up. Acoustic guitar/ upright bass/ conga's/ and flute/ sax, the music is on the jazzier side. I haven't decided on the speakers yet because I need to buy stuff piece by piece (poverty sucks). Any suggestions/ ideas...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am building a new system and need some feed back. I was steering toward the qsc gx5 until I read some {censored}ty reviews on it. I talked to a friend who runs sound for the greater part of S.Florida and he is also an ev rep.. He suggested the EV Q66 11 .. I presently use powered speakers (jbl prx 512's). I am sick of the hiss on the top end. I have a simple set up. Acoustic guitar/ upright bass/ conga's/ and flute/ sax, the music is on the jazzier side. I haven't decided on the speakers yet because I need to buy stuff piece by piece (poverty sucks). Any suggestions/ ideas...

What do you mean by hiss on the top end?

Might be a easy fix here before jumping into buy new gear.

• Members

Looking for info on the power amps not suggestions on the jbl prx's. I have been gigging (2-5 gigs a week) with these speakers for a couple of years now and not only have I had the issue with the hiss (would probabley be fixed if you could adjust the gate) but have had them completely go out for 2 to 3 seconds at a time. If you do any searchs on these particular speakers you will see others complaining about the same issues.

• Members
I was concerned with the gx5 crossover option, some are saying that it simpley doesn't work

It is pretty limited as it doesn't have a HPF for the sub :( .

and also that after about 3 hours you lose a channel. I read this on more then one forum.

Never heard that one.

Do you personally have a gx5??

Yes.

• Members

I was concerned with the gx5 crossover option, some are saying that it simpley doesn't work and also that after about 3 hours you lose a channel. I read this on more then one forum. Do you personally have a gx5??

I don't know where you hang out, but you seem to have a lot of problems and high standards for being in poverty... eh?

I've been selling and installing GX series since they came out and had only one failure due to customer screw-up. That's close to a hundred amps give or take. I haven't heard any of what you have heard and I'm pretty up to speed on the GX series.

There's nothing wrong with the crossover, works just fine and I have never heard anything about losing channels. Ever. Not fond of the poor HPF, but it's budget. The RMX-1450 is a step up and they are a dime a dozen on the used market.

As far an not wanting to hear anything about your current speaker and problem, you come to our forum and cop an attitude like this and your experience will be less pleasureable, that's an easy one to figure out. You might be just a little more open minded because some of us service the very product that you are having difficulty with.

• Members

How long have you had this amp. And what kind of speakers are you using with it? Also how many hours do you usually put on it at a time? Thanks by the way
:)

I have ~100 running in the field, some run 1 day a week for 4 hours and some run 7 days a week, 8 hours a day. No problems with any of them.

I have zero experience (good or bad) with the EV amps.

• Members

Looking for info on the power amps not suggestions on the jbl prx's. I have been gigging (2-5 gigs a week) with these speakers for a couple of years now and not only have I had the issue with the hiss (would probabley be fixed if you could adjust the gate) but have had them completely go out for 2 to 3 seconds at a time. If you do any searchs on these particular speakers you will see others complaining about the same issues.

OK. What kind of speakers are you thinking about?

• Members

I don't know where you hang out, but you seem to have a lot of problems and high standards for being in poverty... eh?

I've been selling and installing GX series since they came out and had only one failure due to customer screw-up. That's close to a hundred amps give or take. I haven't heard any of what you have heard and I'm pretty up to speed on the GX series.

There's nothing wrong with the crossover, works just fine and I have never heard anything about losing channels. Ever. Not fond of the poor HPF, but it's budget. The RMX-1450 is a step up and they are a dime a dozen on the used market.

As far an not wanting to hear anything about your current speaker and problem, you come to our forum and cop an attitude like this and your experience will be less pleasureable, that's an easy one to figure out. You might be just a little more open minded because some of us service the very product that you are having difficulty with.

I answered with no disrespect just straight to the point. I have entered this forum in the past and have been reprimanded by you before and understand all your wisdom and great experience. But also try to stay away from this forum because I might have to deal with you. Here is a link to one of the threads I have found on about the GX5 http://start.mobilebeat.com/archive/index.php/t-48808.html As far as my standards, they are always high that is why I am in here asking questions and taking notes from the greats such as yourself.

• Members

Not sure yet, I have been looking at alot of options, I know I definitely need something weatherized (maybe EV'S). I'de say 80% of my gigs are outside which means I have to deal with the rain consistently during the rainy season here in florida. That is another reason I want to steer away from powered speakers. The less equipment I have to keep under my tent the better.

• Members

You need to decide what speakers you are getting then buy an amp to suit the speakers.

Not sure yet, I have been looking at alot of options, I know I definitely need something weatherized (maybe EV'S). I'de say 80% of my gigs are outside which means I have to deal with the rain consistently during the rainy season here in florida. That is another reason I want to steer away from powered speakers. The less equipment I have to keep under my tent the better. Its easier for me to buy the amp first, then one speaker at a time. The reason being I can sell off my powered speakers one by one while replacing them with new ones and always keep the same juice while gigging (meaning never be with out my full system). The poormans way of trying to keep his high standards.

• Members

OK. What kind of speakers are you thinking about?

Not sure yet, I have been looking at alot of options, I know I definitely need something weatherized (maybe EV'S). I'de say 80% of my gigs are outside which means I have to deal with the rain consistently during the rainy season here in florida. That is another reason I want to steer away from powered speakers. The less equipment I have to keep under my tent the better.

• Members

I am building a new system and need some feed back. I was steering toward the qsc gx5 until I read some shitty reviews on it. I talked to a friend who runs sound for the greater part of S.Florida and he is also an ev rep.. He suggested the EV Q66 11 .. I presently use powered speakers (jbl prx 512's). I am sick of the hiss on the top end. I have a simple set up. Acoustic guitar/ upright bass/ conga's/ and flute/ sax, the music is on the jazzier side. I haven't decided on the speakers yet because I need to buy stuff piece by piece (poverty sucks). Any suggestions/ ideas...

An EV rep suggesting an EV amp...hmmm, wonder why? :confused: In regards to the QSC, I've used and have several GX7 and a GX5 as well. The GX5 is a great amp, I am using it to drive a set of 2x18s loaded with 2241 drivers (nominal 4ohm) and it does fine. I also get a six year warranty with the QSC.

Not used the Q66; buy based on needed SPL, service and needed features.

Regarding your powered speakers: Generally, 'hiss' comes from a choice in gain structure; you may try some experimentation.

It is unlikely that you will find or be able to find a better full range passive speaker in your situation. Best.

• Members

An EV rep suggesting an EV amp...hmmm, wonder why?
:confused:
In regards to the QSC, I've used and have several GX7 and a GX5 as well. The GX5 is a great amp, I am using it to drive a set of 2x18s loaded with 2241 drivers (nominal 4ohm) and it does fine. I also get a six year warranty with the QSC.

Not used the Q66; buy based on needed SPL, service and needed features.

Regarding your powered speakers: Generally, 'hiss' comes from a choice in gain structure; you may try some experimentation.

It is unlikely that you will find or be able to find a better full range passive speaker in your situation. Best.

• Members

I answered with no disrespect just straight to the point. I have entered this forum in the past and have been reprimanded by you before and understand all your wisdom and great experience. But also try to stay away from this forum because I might have to deal with you. Here is a link to one of the threads I have found on about the GX5
As far as my standards, they are always high that is why I am in here asking questions and taking notes from the greats such as yourself.

And onec again, if you don't like the advice and approach of this forum (and me in particular), there's lots of places where "experts" reside on the web to give you their take on how things work. From reading the forum thread that you mentioned, it's full of them there expert types that don't know crap (to those of us who are in this industry professionally for many years). That one thread is full of bad advice and ZERO troubleshooting suggestions. I doubt there's a problem with that guy's crossover... perhaps his set-up, but he has not done one bit of troubleshooting, so there's my opinion. Mike Pyle tried to help but was dismissed.

As far as the GX being grossly inferior to the RMS, they are based on almost identical circuits but the GX has a different feature set and the best part is no bridging capabilities and the limiter can't be switched off (both because of DJ's doing stupid things with both of those functions).

PS... DJ forums are generally more prone to bad info and misunderstanding how gear works than pro audio forums. DJ's also tend to have a LOT more trouble with gear, we have a saying in the amp design world... if it survives a DJ's use, it will survive lesser idiots.

• Members

Not quit sure how you came to this conclusion. I guess the biggest thing I am getting from your posts are the GX5 is alright in your book. The rest is just flameratory.

Mike's suggestion was decide what speaker before the amp and QSC's come with a 6 year warranty PLX owner myself. Don't know what's between your mixer and speakers and if this will help or not ? but I know back in the day. I use to own DOD EQ's which are DBX low budget gear and they sure were hissy then switch over to Rane and prety much ended all the hissing I had with the DOD EQ's.

Archived