QSC GX5 VS THE EV Q66

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I moved forward and ordered my qsc gx5..

I think you'll be happy with that decision. I've been using a GX-5 for a couple of years now, and have had absolutely ZREO issues with it. I've used it in both full range and crossover mode. Both modes have worked well for me, and you can't beat the weight/price/watts ratio.

• Members

I've owned a couple GX5 amps. they work fine, the Xover works well too. if anything i found them to be a great amp for full range stuff and less so when used for top and sub on the same amp. still, no reliability issues, just that it seemed to run out of gas quicker when a single amp is doing sub and top. Not mentioned but i preferred my Yamaha p3500s amp to the QSC so i sold mine to my friend whos happily running an MRX rig with them

• Members
An EV rep suggesting an EV amp...hmmm, wonder why?
:confused:
In regards to the QSC, I've used and have several GX7 and a GX5 as well. The GX5 is a great amp, I am using it to drive a set of 2x18s loaded with 2241 drivers (nominal 4ohm) and it does fine. I also get a six year warranty with the QSC.

Not used the Q66; buy based on needed SPL, service and needed features.

Regarding your powered speakers: Generally, 'hiss' comes from a choice in gain structure; you may try some experimentation.

It is unlikely that you will find or be able to find a better full range passive speaker in your situation. Best.

I just got this gx5 and all it has with it is a 3 year warranty am I missing something??

• Members

I have decided to use the qsc gx5 in combination with the EV ZX5'S.. I think, I have the gx5 now and will be purchasing the zx5's over the next couple of weeks.. Still a little confused about the spec's on the zx5's some are saying this speaker is rated at 500 watts and others are saying 600 watts. The amp is supposed to be 500 at 8om's, I am hoping that this is a good match for the amp...

• Members

I have decided to use the qsc gx5 in combination with the EV ZX5'S.. I think, I have the gx5 now and will be purchasing the zx5's over the next couple of weeks.. Still a little confused about the spec's on the zx5's some are saying this speaker is rated at 500 watts and others are saying 600 watts. The amp is supposed to be 500 at 8om's, I am hoping that this is a good match for the amp...

Nice pick of speakers imagine having some QRX subs underneath them, along with EV's DC1 driverack for system tuning would yield some stellar live sound.

• Members

Now I have to make a decision about this JBL PRX 512. I talked to the same FLORIDA SPEAKER, that supposedly fixed this speaker in January. They tightened the fuse in it and said that was what was causing it to go out intermittently? I called back today almost 6 months later to tell them it is doing the samething it was doing when I took it in to them. They told me to open it up and check the fuse. I did and it was snug in their. It looked to be only one fuse in the device, unless I am missing something? I now have three options I think. 1) take it back to them and pay them money to possibly not get it right again and tell me the same {censored}. 2) sell it to someone who made me an offer for 200$ knowing the issue. 3) Gut it and use it as a passive speaker if possible(wondering what the cost on that would be)? HELP???!!!!

• Members

I would just take the offer since they been nothing but a headache and let them be somebody elses headache. I understand your losing $$ but if they didn't fix them the last time why bother taking them back to the same place. Use what money you do get towards your next gear purchase.

• Members

You can also give JBL a call and explain (nicely, not snarky) to them that you haven't had luck the first time with service and maybe you can send back to their factory service center in CA. That would be my first approach, and you can probably send just the amp module.

Converting to passive is not practical, you will also need a crossover to go with that conversion.

• Members

You can also give JBL a call and explain (nicely, not
snarky
(Translation/ Don't be an Asshole) to them that you haven't had luck the first time with service and maybe you can send back to their factory service center in CA. That would be my first approach, and you can probably send just the amp module.

Converting to passive is not practical, you will also need a crossover to go with that conversion.

Thanks.. I will call them and see if I can just send amp module, sounds like a great idea. Maybe I can keep the speaker as a monitor, at least if I have it fixed I know it wouldnt crap out for the next guy :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Generally, I have found the JBL factory guys to be pretty helpful.

You were right about the JBL factory and I appreciate the tip in calling them about this speaker. I ended up selling the speaker for like 300$ on craigslist, as is, but I gave the buyer the info about it's intermittent cutting out issue and also gave them the address of where to send it to get them to fix it in CA. I feel good about it and I don't have to deal with it anymore and I can put the money toward my new ev zx5's. I rented these speakers this weekend for a gig to see how they sound. Now to me the sound was much better then the prx's, no noise at all, handled the bass much better also. I am finally very happy about a speaker. I just need to rob somebody now to pay for them;) Just kidding, I will buy the first one in a week, and then the next one probabley in a couple of months :)The qsc gx5 also worked very well with these speakers.

Archived