Wow, I can't stand my custom in ear monitor buds

• Members

Just got my custom molds back from Alien Ears. So incredibly uncomfortable, especially in the left ear. Are all custom mold ear buds made out of really hard plastic? I would think they would make a core out of hard plastic, and then, do the outer part in silicone, so it's still molded to your ear, but it's like cramming a freaking rock into your ear. Whenever I move my head, it screws with my ear a little because of the suction caused from the tight fit. I also lose some hearing when I open my mouth. It starts to plug up my ears.

When I take them out, I have to be super careful and push my ear against my head and twist it really slowly, or I'm afraid my brain will be sucked out with it. Also, there is a constant low level hissing in the ear when they are plugged into my receiver (AT m3), even when it's turned all the way down. .

I've worn these a bit on and off through the day to try to get used to them, but holy crap, they are still uncomfortable. Is this normal? I really can't stand them.

• Members

I agree,... something is wrong. I will say,... Although my Ultimate Ears custom molds fit perfectly,... after a 1.5 hour set,.. When I take them out it is similar to removing ski boots after a whole day of skiing. It feels great to take them off.

Go to an audiologist or where you got your molds.

• Members

What good would it do to go to an audiologist now? What's done is done. I'm just gonna have to live with them until I upgrade.
:(

Not true. If there was a mistake made, they are the ones most likely to be able to help you resolve it. Living with an uncomfortable mistake is dumb, dumb, dumb, IMO.

• Members

It took a few hours of wearing my buds from Ultimate Ears to get to the point where they were comfortable. I would imagine even the most well-fitting molds will still have SOME adjustment period. I wanted to take them out often at first---now I can leave them in for hours on end and they are completely comfortable. One of the other guys in my band complained about his UEs giving him such pain in one ear that he was going to send them back in but, that too went away for him after a couple of gigs and he finds them very comfortable now.

And there is still a shift in sound between having my mouth opened and closed. Again, just part of the nature of IEMs. Which is why they recommend you do the molds with your mouth open--since that's the position you will be in when singing. When I close my mouth, my hearing "blocks up" a bit sometimes.

As far as Alien Ears goes---one of the singers in my band got her IEMs from them and she loves them. And she did the mold herself with the kit they give you for that. But if you really think they f'd up the mold, I'd get ahold of them and send them back in for a re-do.

• Members

What good would it do to go to an audiologist now? What's done is done. I'm just gonna have to live with them until I upgrade.
:(

You said you "just got them back". Alien Ears has a 90 day warranty on the fit (which is better than most companies, IIRC). If they messed up the fit, then contact them.

• Members

I have both UE7s and Sensaphonics 2Max. The UEs had to go back twice for adjustments but ultimately ended up perfect. The Sens fit great straight away and are made out of some kind of medical silicon material. Both sound great... Sens have better isolation and much less change as I move my mouth. Sens are my favorite but the UEs are great too.

Don

• Members

You said you "just got them back". Alien Ears has a 90 day warranty on the fit (which is better than most companies, IIRC). If they messed up the fit, then contact them.

I might just do that. I'll wear them some more to be sure. I've just been waiting so long to get all of my equipment and get on stage. I really don't want to be out another 3 or 4 weeks.

• Members

I might just do that. I'll wear them some more to be sure. I've just been waiting so long to get all of my equipment and get on stage. I really don't want to be out another 3 or 4 weeks.

I hear ya. Give 'em another few days and if the fit isn't more comfortable then it probably isn't going to be and something is probably wrong. Anytime you put something new in/on your body it always takes SOME degree of your body adjusting to it. Even eyeglasses are uncomfortable for most people at first until your ears and nose get used to them being on all the time.

• Members

I agree with everyone who is saying to give yourself a bit more time with them...

BUT, this has me thinking you may not ever be comfortable with what you got:

Are all custom mold ear buds made out of really hard plastic?

No, no they are not.

• Members

Did you do the impressions yourself or were they done professionally? I went to an audiologist and paid $50. Money well spent. My Alien Ears fit perfectly. If you sing you should do "open mouth" impressions. Even then, when you open your mouth fully you'll lose the seal. It's odd that yours are pushing into your head more when you open your mouth. Something is obviously not right. Contact AE. They'll take care of you but it could very well mean fresh impressions.

• Members

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/support/find-your-audiologist

Sounds like your molds weren't made properly. Of course shoving something new into your ear will be a little uncomfortable at first, but it shouldn't take any more than say a half hour at the longest to get used to them. They shouldn't lose their seal too much when you sing or move, either. When I had mine made, they gave me a 90 day trial period where I could take them back and have my impressions re-done for free.

• Members

Okay, I've got a set of hard plastic customs as well and yes, they can be uncomfortable if not inserted correctly. First, visit your local Westone dealer (in this case it was my audiologist) and pick yourself up a vial of Miracell Pro Ear - he suggested it and it was a godsend. Here's a link...

http://www.westone.com/catalog/miracell

Put a small drop on each of the IEM part that inserts in your ear canal, use your finger to spread it around the entire part that inserts into your ear (you don't need a great deal-a very small drop will do. It gets sloppy if you use too much), then properly insert the monitor into your ear. Here's a youtube vid explaining proper insertion.

Don't forget to reach over your head with the opposite hand and pull up on your earlobe to fully seat the IEM into the ear canal. Once I started using the Miracell and pulling up on my earlobe to seat, I found the "hard" IEM's to be rather comfortable. An added bonus to the Miracell is that, with the slight lubrication it provides, the seal is exceptional and may even help with your "open mouth" issues.

Now all of this is based on having a good impression/mold. If the molds/impressions are wrong or off just a bit, they will hurt and, like others have said, I would take adantage of the fit warranty that came with your buds. Also, I can tell you that after a few years, your facial structure will change a bit due to age, weight gain/loss, etc. and the hard molds won't fit nearly as well as they did when new. I need to have a new set of molds done as mine are about 3 years old and are starting to hurt a bit after long periods of having them in.

Good luck!

Stix

• Members

Okay, I've got a set of hard plastic customs as well and yes, they can be uncomfortable if not inserted correctly. First, visit your local Westone dealer (in this case it was my audiologist) and pick yourself up a vial of Miracell Pro Ear - he suggested it and it was a godsend. Here's a link...

Put a small drop on each of the IEM part that inserts in your ear canal, use your finger to spread it around the entire part that inserts into your ear (you don't need a great deal-a very small drop will do. It gets sloppy if you use too much), then properly insert the monitor into your ear. Here's a youtube vid explaining proper insertion.

Don't forget to reach over your head with the opposite hand and pull up on your earlobe to fully seat the IEM into the ear canal. Once I started using the Miracell and pulling up on my earlobe to seat, I found the "hard" IEM's to be rather comfortable. An added bonus to the Miracell is that, with the slight lubrication it provides, the seal is exceptional and may even help with your "open mouth" issues.

Now all of this is based on having a good impression/mold. If the molds/impressions are wrong or off just a bit, they will hurt and, like others have said, I would take adantage of the fit warranty that came with your buds. Also, I can tell you that after a few years, your facial structure will change a bit due to age, weight gain/loss, etc. and the hard molds won't fit nearly as well as they did when new. I need to have a new set of molds done as mine are about 3 years old and are starting to hurt a bit after long periods of having them in.

Good luck!

Stix

Interesting, I might have to check that out. Thanks!

• Members

That's a bummer. Mine were strange at first, but mostly getting them in. Once in they feel great. My concern is that I had skin cancer surgery on the back of one of my ears this past Monday and it's pretty swollen. I'm hoping when the swelling goes down my ear retains its original shape.

• Members

Keep working with them! It takes a little while to get used to wearing IEMs. It's definitely a new assortment of sensations if you haven't worn a custom earpiece before! I remember feeling many of the same things you described. The pressure ... the it's in too deep ... etc. The first day I got 'em I was looking to see if maybe I could pare down the tip of the left one. In the end I left them alone and continued to "break in" my ears to get used to them. After few days of putting them in and taking them out - I got used to them. Now I wear them when I'm listening to music - at the office, working out at the gym, when playing home and of course whenever I'm performing. Wearing them 6-8 hours a day is pretty normal for me. They were uncomfortable when I first got 'em - but now, I forget they're even in.

Archived