Teaser - hollow body archtop

Freeman Keller

• Members

Tied some string on each of the electronic thingies so I can find them again, put painters tape over all the holes (from the inside) and glued the back on. Bound it (whew!) and its time to set the neck.

I thought these shots might be interesting to someone who has heard about "dovetail" neck joints but never seen one. Basically an angled recess is cut in the body of the guitar, the sides of the recess are also angled. A similar "tenon" is cut on end of the neck heel - as it slides down into the recess it pulls the neck into the body.

IMG_3545_zpsoyi1x3go.jpg

Its another one of those three dimensional puzzles - you are setting the angle of the neck as well as the amount of overstand with a wood to wood joint that will actually lock itself together. Here the neck is fit into the body without any glue.

IMG_3544_zpsh83ygqfv.jpg

That little gap between the neck heel and body is desirable - you don't want wood to wood here. Besides, if I ever want to take the neck off that is where the steam will go to soften the glue.

The glue of choice here is hot hide - that is totally reversible if the neck angle ever needs to be reset 30 years in the future. I'm warming the surfaces with a heat gun and letting the glue pot come up to 145 or so.

IMG_3547_zpsn1xowomw.jpg

Smear the glue on, stick the neck in the pocket and give it one smack with a hammer and clamp it over night

IMG_3548_zpsdeyvfxmn.jpg

Time for a nice cold adult beverage....

• Members

Its all about jigs and the right bit. I didn't take any pictures of this guitar but here is a similar one. I built this funky holder for the neck and you can see the special dovetail router bit

IMG_1577_zps2fb85da2.jpg

On the end of the jig I mounted a commercial (StewMac) dovetail template. The bit has a little ball bearing the follows the cutout and thus removes wood in the right places

IMG_1578_zps5ed4cca2.jpg

IMG_1579_zpse446ce4f.jpg

A similar jig holds a similar template against the body and with luck you get mating parts

IMG_1580_zps4fd98f89.jpg

There actually are people who can do this by hand with a couple of chisels - I can't imagine it.

Once the two parts are cut out there is still a lot of fiddling to get then to fit just right. I've pretty much switched over to bolted M&T joints on acoustics but with an archtop you don't have a hole to get your hand inside to tighten bolts so its pretty much back to the dovetail.

I will add that there is something very satisfying when you feel the neck lock into the body,

• Members

When I started building this I debated using mahogany that I had or buying some maple to make a neck that matched the body. Since the body wood wasn't too highly figured and I have had good luck with mahogany on the 335's I thought I would just go ahead - besides I had some in my wood stash. I also knew that I wanted to make this more of a blond than I have done in the past, however I really didn't know how much dishwater I wanted my blond to be. I actually thought I wanted it pretty light - just a hint of color to bring out the little bit of figure - so I gave it a light wipe with some amber stain and shot a couple of coats of vinyl sealer to lock it in

IMG_3554_zpsytxgollc.jpg

I don't know about you but I think that neck looks just all wrong. I spent the night tossing and turning and debating the possibilities - one was to just shoot a nice dark tobacco burst but I would loose that wonderful flamed binding. So I did something totally radical - I just coated the guitar in paint stripper and took it all off

IMG_3556_zpsmgkv589x.jpg

Back to bare wood (they call this "in the white")

IMG_3559_zpsyxrvwdsr.jpg

Did the stain again, this time with a little brown and red along with the amber. Did another stain on the neck, only amber (its already redish brown)

IMG_3561_zpscujj73fp.jpg

Not necessarily what I started out to do but I think I like it

IMG_3562_zpswb4wqfjo.jpg

(in case anyone is counting, that is the stain, one coat of vinyl sealer and three coats of lacquer with just a hint of amber in it. All the following coats will be clear)

Archived