How much power do I need to run this properly?

• Members

i can run something similar on a single 20A if i dont push the hell out of it, and i am forced to do this a few times a year.

this of course assumes NO backline; with heavy backline forget it.

i'd prefer a couple circuits but you can get by with one.

• Members

i can run something similar on a single 20A if i dont push the hell out of it, and i am forced to do this a few times a year.

this of course assumes NO backline; with heavy backline forget it.

i'd prefer a couple circuits but you can get by with one.

This is with no backline, just the SR equip listed. It will be moderately pushed.

• Members

You should add up all the current draws printed on the amps. That will be the 1/8th power draw (continuous). It would be a good idea to be able to supply this much current as a minimum. It's unlikely that your amps will ever run at much more than this on a continuous rating and that a 20A service will be able to provide peaks a bit above the 20A rating.

So it all comes down to what you consider "moderately pushed" to be. I have on occasion run systems that were rated a close to 40A on a 20A service (because it was all there was available) by backing down on the low end a bit more than usual.

• Members

Using the PRX (which has active power management), I think a dedicated 20 amp circuit will do ok. You will want to pay attention to the voltage drop more than the absolute current. If it's a solid circuit, it's worth a try, I give it a 90% chance of success.

• Members

I fairly regularly run a PLX 3102, PLX 1802, a Carvin DCM 1204 four channel amp and a moderately sized back line off of one 20 amp circuit or even one 15 amp if I have to. But only for smaller rooms and I can't run it full tilt boogie.

None of those amps is even close to the efficiency of the amps in the PRX. Probably 30% less efficient at worst and maybe even 45% less efficient.

• Members

I had two PR12D's (mains), two XLS1000's (monitors), a GX5 (driving two PV118 8 ohm subs), two tube guitar amps, an Ampeg Micro-VR bass amp, small keyboard amp, FOH, and about 400w of incandescent lights on one circuit outdoors at full boogie a couple weeks back no prob.

• Members

Still "it depends". I certainly would want to spec out 2 circuits in a contract. Party's rockin' and you turn it up a bit...... then it all falls silent. You scramble to find the breaker box only to learn it's in a locked closet. Maintenance guy gets called in and shows up 20 minutes later, but by then the party is over.

We've blown breakers 2X in 500 shows. Once was the description above. The other time we were the first band to play in a recently remodeled banquet/reception space. Found out the entire room, including bathrooms, were on one circuit. Whenever someone hit the hand dryer in the bathroom, the room would go dark and silent. :facepalm: This brings up the fact that you rarely know "what else" is on that 20A circuit (ice machines, coffee makers, decorative lighting, beer signs). You also may only have 15A circuits available, or a breaker that's blown so many times that it's going to trip early, despite being a 20A circuit.

Bottom line...what it "can do" isn't a practical real world example of how you should do it.

Archived