Do I want or need a new iPad???

• Members

Yeah, their interface is completely non-intuitive to me, but then again I began with PCs.

As someone who spent my early computer years on Apples/Macs, then moved to PCs for my 'professional' life, and who is currently split across both (moving all personal computing back to Mac), this is the ONE thing I will always hate Redmond for:

The Mac interface is so simple and intuitive...and Microsoft ruined people by bastardizing that simplicity and making their interface less so, but due to market share, MS/PC is what many people learned first/are used to, so much so that switching over is a challenge.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeeeees buy the shiny Chinese made electronics! Buy twoooooo! Throw out your 52" plasma TV! You must buy a new 3D unit....3 D D D D d d! Forget that real world productivity has only be NEGATIVELY affected by the computer revolution... create a virtual family online...model a life! Yessssss! Poor Steve would have wanted it this way; great tech, terrible people

• Members

Let's put it this way if go to NAMM go and count how many of the folks are product demoing with PC laptops and off brand tablets ?

Here I give this to you agin http://www.splashtop.com/streamer/download you'll need a screen sharing app so when you buy your MBP and ipad and 5ghz router for your SL mixer which you probably end up buying anyways you got a KISS (Keep it simple stupid) type screen sharing app.

Plus you can make a little extra change if you offer record a band's live performance.

• Members

On top of the ad-agency web development contract's I'm running (and goofing off, and playing music, and...), I'm auditioning Ubuntu on a second machine. If it works, then I will be able to run the Win. Adobe products I own in virtual machines while having a much more integrated way of working with the files I use to work on my web applications. And,of course, I can get in wherever I need to and fix stuff, at the cost of a less "commercial" solution.

But this is the first time that I've had to learn a "new" operating system in ten years, and damn.... if this is what it's like to move from windows to a mac (or vice versa), I can totally see why folks are hesitant. i still think it is misguided to say that one is "more intuitive" than the other, but the move is difficult even for me (who does this crap for a living).

"One of the things I'm having a little trouble getting my head around, is that you don't have full access to an underlying OS and file system on the iPad, like you would on a laptop. Each app runs its own little locked-off file management system."

This is one of my issues with my iPhone and another reason why. However, I didn't realize how intrusive Windows can be with the files system until I started auditioning Linux. FWIW, I'm excited about moving from my iPhone next spring to an android-based device, as I hope to be able to program for it :D.

• Members

Do you need to get at root files?

I turn it on, it does what I want, I turn it off.

Not root files for the OS. but data files that might be useful across programs.

I have a bunch of PDF's imported to GigPad. Let's say I want to use them in another app, maybe for editing. Or email one to a band mate. Can't do it. I have to go back to the desktop computer and do it there. And if I decide I want to use a different music reader app, I'll have to go through all this PDF import and set list creation process all over again, from scratch.

It's not a deal-killer for using the iPad as it's designed. It's just something to be aware of, if you're not familiar with apps on smartphones (I wasn't, I've just been using bog-standard cell phones before getting the iPad). At first glance, the iPad looks something like a general-purpose computer. But it isn't. It's a container for a bunch of walled-off, vertical apps that don't talk to each other.

• Members

Forget that real world productivity has only be NEGATIVELY affected by the computer revolution... create a virtual family online...model a life! Yessssss! Poor Steve would have wanted it this way; great tech, terrible people

WTF are you talking about??? How old are you? If you think computers are only for Facebook you need to grow up. Productivity has increased by the thousands. Just looking at the industries I'm personally involved with, I couldn't imagine going back to hand drawing a set of construction plans. Getting the old ammonia blueprint copier out to make copies. Doing calculations in seconds that used to take weeks. Getting high quality recording of your band with out a dedicated studio, creating videos that are professional looking and done at your home, creating high quality brochures for you band right from the desktop. Yep, I really miss the old days...

Maybe you spend too much time on Facebook but I don't. I don't play video games either. I do produce very professional products because of computers, though. Maybe you should pick up a book that shows you that a computer can actually do more then just send updates to your friends.

• Members

IMO, this is a gross oversimplification. The non-intuitive interface is kind of funny. Where do you think the idea for windows came from? As for the philosophy, there's more to the restrictiveness on apps and hardware than "we do it all for you"....

Of course this is a simplification. It is 3 sentences. What kind of nuance are YOU looking for in 3 friggin sentences? :facepalm:

But as I stated, the reason I find it non-intuitive is because I am accoustomed to PCs.

• Members

Yeah, their interface is completely non-intuitive to me, but then again I began with PCs. The whole Apple concept of "you don't need to know because we do it all for you" just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't like the "concept" either ... but it does depend on how well they live up to "we do it all for you". At the point they don't ... I'll switch back but right now I own 3 macs and hate when I have to use a windows PC.

• Members

Let's put it this way if go to NAMM go and count how many of the folks are product demoing with PC laptops and off brand tablets ?

Here I give this to you agin
you'll need a screen sharing app so when you buy your MBP and ipad and 5ghz router for your SL mixer which you probably end up buying anyways you got a KISS (Keep it simple stupid) type screen sharing app.

Plus you can make a little extra change if you offer record a band's live performance.

How much are you charging for recording, Tommy? PM me your whole list of prices, please.

• Members

On topic, Bobby, I would go the mini route. The iPad is a tool like any of your mics. You use the right one for the intended purpose. Having said that, I have been using my rack mounted computer running win XP to connect to my SL. The iPad controls it and ALL of it's functions through splashtop.

On NYE, I will have my laptop with me to provide a powerpoint for the countdown. I don't want to figure out how to make the power point audio go through the FW back to the mixer, so the laptop will be used and sent to the aux input. I will also have splashtop ability on it so I can be on stage with my wife when the time comes. iPad in hand. (First time in 11 years to get to do that)

• Members

Dale

Are you using SplashTop Remote for the SL? Why not just use the iPad app? Did I misunderstand?

I use SplashTop for my lighting SW and have for a while now. Works great for operating the lights while I'm playing, or for finding a better seat (i.e. so I can see the stage) when I'm just doing lights for others.

• Members

I use the splashtop for VSL, controlling(turning on) iTunes, Capture, Studio One, and occasionally freecell. I use the iPad app for actually controlling the mixer. This eliminates the need for a mouse, keyboard, and monitor in my setup. The iPad takes their places. Make more sense?

• Members

Well, I still haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning in the direction of the MacBook Pro, for now. The iPad could come, somewhere down the road. I'm just having trouble swallowing the price. I've GOT TO put a new roof on the house shortly,,,, I'm currently putting in all new flooring, and I'm replacing my current furnace with a more energy-efficient unit, with heat-pump,,,, and I bought a new garden tractor this summer. Thatsa lot of dough flying out the door over the next little while.

Nobody mentioned the stand-alone devices yet. Has anybody here tried the Phonic devices? (PAA3 and PAA6)

Archived